Gaining and frustrated

Options
Hello, I'm having some troubles with not losing or even gaining some. I am eating 1300 calories as this is what myfitnesspal has put me on. I started Jan of last year, and have lost 45 pounds. In the beginning I was eating 1500. But in the last 2-3 weeks I am not losing anything and have fluctuated between 203 and 205 (I had gotten down to 200 on the first of this year) . I have cheat meals once in a while but haven't recently, and I've been doing really good at eating the right portions and calories at each meal. I exercise 5 days a week, doing either a 2 mile walk or Zumba. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I know I've hit blocks before, but not usually right after a calorie drop

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Have you taken a diet break recently?
  • julyMommytimes2
    julyMommytimes2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am measuring by using a scale and cups/spoons. I log it into mfp . I did take a break a month or two ago for about 2 weeks.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You dropped your calories right before this stall, right? Did you also happen to decrease your fat or your fiber intake?
  • julyMommytimes2
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You dropped your calories right before this stall, right? Did you also happen to decrease your fat or your fiber intake?

I'm not sure. I've never paid too much attention. I've been trying to watch carbs and sugar along with the calories and make sure I get enough protein
  • julyMommytimes2
    Options
    ZeetaFit wrote: »
    What is your water (plain water) intake like? Sometimes if I slack off my water for several days the pounds will inch up some.

Maybe try a different type of exercise? I think we sometimes get into a rut by doing the same thing over and over so it doesn't take nearly as much energy to complete it as it used to. If walking is your only option, maybe add 30-60 seconds of jogging (or faster walking) periodically to raise your heart rate and mix things up a bit.

I drink so much water lol. I do about 120 ounces at least of plain water, and another 30-60 ounces of iced green tea.
    As for exercise, I switch between walking and ellyptical usually with a hike thrown in when I can. Maybe a few times a month. I just added the Zumba as an option recently. I do try to Sprint on my walks, I usually have the kids and will race them to get my heart rate a little higher
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

I'm not sure. I've never paid too much attention. I've been trying to watch carbs and sugar along with the calories and make sure I get enough protein
    Decreasing fat or fiber can be associated with constipation, so even if you’re taking in fewer calories, you could have more waste in your system. Also, simply decreasing the volume of food that you’re eating can make you constipated in the short term.
  • julyMommytimes2
    Options

Decreasing fat or fiber can be associated with constipation, so even if you’re taking in fewer calories, you could have more waste in your system. Also, simply decreasing the volume of food that you’re eating can make you constipated in the short term.

I don't have a problem with constipation. I feel like I eat a good amount of fiber. You are welcome to look at my diary :)
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few solids in your diary that don't seem to be weighed, e.g. avocado, 1/2 medium, quinoa, 0.5 cup, turkey bacon, 2 slices. Tightening up on these things might help if you are working with a small deficit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jdv5lzrzvp0q.jpg
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ZeetaFit wrote: »
    What is your water (plain water) intake like? Sometimes if I slack off my water for several days the pounds will inch up some.

Maybe try a different type of exercise? I think we sometimes get into a rut by doing the same thing over and over so it doesn't take nearly as much energy to complete it as it used to. If walking is your only option, maybe add 30-60 seconds of jogging (or faster walking) periodically to raise your heart rate and mix things up a bit.

I drink so much water lol. I do about 120 ounces at least of plain water, and another 30-60 ounces of iced green tea.
    As for exercise, I switch between walking and ellyptical usually with a hike thrown in when I can. Maybe a few times a month. I just added the Zumba as an option recently. I do try to Sprint on my walks, I usually have the kids and will race them to get my heart rate a little higher

This could also cause water gain for a short time. How long ago did you add this?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm having some troubles with not losing or even gaining some. I am eating 1300 calories as this is what myfitnesspal has put me on. I started Jan of last year, and have lost 45 pounds. In the beginning I was eating 1500. But in the last 2-3 weeks I am not losing anything and have fluctuated between 203 and 205 (I had gotten down to 200 on the first of this year) . I have cheat meals once in a while but haven't recently, and I've been doing really good at eating the right portions and calories at each meal. I exercise 5 days a week, doing either a 2 mile walk or Zumba. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I know I've hit blocks before, but not usually right after a calorie drop

It is actually perfectly normal to not lose for 2-3 weeks, weight loss simply isn't linear. Having said that, it's never a bad idea to try to tighten up your logging a little just in case:
    1. Try to spend a couple of weeks using the food scale for as close to everything as possible: whole foods, packaged foods, condiments, nibbles, everything. You may find some things you've gotten into the habit of eyeballing or volume measuring that aren't accurate.
    2. Double check the entries you are using in the database are accurate. Try not to use generic or recipe-style entries (like "chicken soup") that you didn't create yourself. They were entered by other users and you have no idea what was a part of that recipe or if they are even close to correct. Use brand name entries double checked to the package or "raw" or "usda" entries checked to the usda records.
    3. Make sure there aren't easy to forget items falling by the wayside, like condiments, cooking oils, etc.

Good luck, hope you work through it soon
  • julyMommytimes2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions :) . I'll be doing some meal prep tomorrow. I had a "screw it" moment and ate crappy yesterday.. but I'll be back on it today