Depo-provera

Options
I'm currently on the depo-provera shot. I'm starting to have weird side-effects. I got it a month ago. I'm not gaining weight, but im not losing. The two lbs had to of been water weight. I'm also working out on treadmill. After about 15 mins I'm getting very light-headed and weak. I'm also assuming this is Depo related as its never happened before. I do not plan on getting Depo again. I used it before after I had my 2nd child, but things seem to be different now. Is anyone else having these problems?

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've been on it since January with no issues. Are you taking a multi-vitamin?
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What I have noticed is everyone responds to depo differently. I actually lost weight on it, but would cry at EVERYTHING. My friend and I on the ship (In the Navy) both had the crying problem. We could be in the middle of talking to someone and for no reason would burst into tears. I don't recommend using it...I used the ring before I had my blood clot (NOT related to the ring...it was a genetic disorder) and I absolutely loved it.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i hate depo. it messed me up SOOOOOOOO bad. i gained 50lbs in 3 months, i got bruises on my body, i was light headed, nauseous, achy, etc. it sucked. it took me 3 years after my first shot to get pregnant with my daughter despite the fact we were actively TRYING to get pregnant. it's awful. i recommend getting off of it.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for about a year and had horrible sides effects. It's not for everyone.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    depo is not good for you. I was on it for almost 3 years after I had my son in 2004. I gained and lost the same ten pounds constantly and it triggered my PCOS to go from dormant to active and I gained over 100 pounds in under 6 months when before I had always just stayed the same weight all the time. It is known to cause weight gain and a lot of other things and I just felt like crap while on it.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Not a fan of Depo. Love the IUD!
  • stacij122
    Options
    no....but i still have pre-natal viamins. ill try them. i had no side effects and loed it the last time...so i decided to try it again. maybe becuz im older now....i was 22 last time now 26. its frustrating because its not something that leaves over night. i had my daughter a month ao and lost 18 lbs so far.....everyone tells me i should be losing faster. i just dont get it. im eating right. actuallyfinding it hard to meet the calorie goals...and have been exercising 5 days a week.
  • fridayjustleft04
    Options
    Any hormonal birth control can hinder weight loss by making you crave foods, but that doesn't mean it's an excuse to give up. Yes, it's harder, but still possible. Try the vitamins; I think the shot robs your body of some vital stuff and that's maybe why you're getting dizzy. If you're not losing, try switching up your workouts. What are you doing now? Also, how much water are you drinking everyday?
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    I was on depo for 2 years after the birth of my first child. It didn't cause me to gain (that was all me), but it did prevent me from losing. No matter what I ate or how hard I worked I couldn't seem to drop it... which in case got me down and led to me quit trying. Found out later that I should have been taking extra calcium while I was on the shot because it eats at the calcium in your bones. I went with the IUD after my second child... LOVED it...until it fell out and resulted in baby #3... now I have my tubes tied... lol
  • stacij122
    Options
    im doing treadmill for 30 mins a day and ab circle for atleast 3 mins. im drinking 4-6 glasses of water.
  • fridayjustleft04
    Options
    Ok, so if you're not losing, try something different for cardio. Run outside or get on the eliptical or swim. Pop in a workout dvd. Also, you should do some strength. You'll replace fat with muscle, which is good because not only does it make you look thinner, but muscle eats fat. Finally, up your water to at least 8 cups a day, if not more. All this is stuff that I do, and it works for me. I've lost over 25 pounds just since I started the shot. If it doesn't work for you, at least it won't hurt you. :smile:
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Depo has been awful for me, I'll be looking for a new method soon.

1. My skin is awful
    2. Gained about 15 lbs that no amount of work seems to remove
    3. I'm can be huge moody ogre
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Been on depo for years and love it, no periods YAY!!!!!! I've lost 15 pounds just by calorie counting, because it's summer I do walk a bit more but I'm not exercising. But it definately does affect everyone differently so do what is right for you!
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I know when my sister was on it after having her 3rd child.. she had major issues and could NOT lose weight at all. It completely stopped her from losing anything. She was miserable.... I say google it! Good luck!
  • stacij122
    Options
    thank you all...the things i have googled about depo are scary. lol. i wanted depo so i didnt have periods. thats not working either...ive been bleeding/spotting since i had my daughter on july1st. this time around its just bad. lol.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Finding birth control is like finding a significant other: you won't find one that is perfect, you just have to find one you can deal with. The hormones affect everyone differently, there is no way to know for sure how it will affect you until you're in the process.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    thank you all...the things i have googled about depo are scary. lol. i wanted depo so i didnt have periods. thats not working either...ive been bleeding/spotting since i had my daughter on july1st. this time around its just bad. lol.

I hate the spotting. And I'm not a huge fan of any of the side effects. However, after doing a good bit of research online I found a similar story about each and every different kind of hormone birth control.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i hate depo. it messed me up SOOOOOOOO bad. i gained 50lbs in 3 months, i got bruises on my body, i was light headed, nauseous, achy, etc. it sucked. it took me 3 years after my first shot to get pregnant with my daughter despite the fact we were actively TRYING to get pregnant. it's awful. i recommend getting off of it.

Yup, I had the same thing. I was up to 150lbs at one point.
    I'd also recommend getting off it and trying another type of birth control.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I've been on it for 8 months and have been bleeding for 8 months. I've an appt on Friday to get a solution. Maybe mirena even though its over $800.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    If your insurance covers the Mirena, it doesn't cost $800...mine costed me somewhere around $130 but if you think about it, that's for five years. I do not have my period, have lost weight since I started this site with no problems, and LOVE it.