How do YOU stay motivated?

Options
There have been a few times in my life where I've been able to stick to a lifestyle change long enough to really change my body. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. I find that the habits that stick are the ones you look forward to on a daily basis.

For the last couple of weeks, I've actually enjoyed and looked forward to going to the gym and cooking my own food, which is very new for me. Liking healthier foods and healthier habits has made it easier to lose my first couple pounds than before, but I'm worried I'll wake up one day and just not want to do any of it anymore.

How do you guys stay positive and motivated?

Replies

• BradR_82
    BradR_82 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For me, when I made my lifestyle change to live healthy- it had to be small steps. If I cut my food down to 1000cal/day and exercised twice a day it was unsustainable. If I got stressed out, or sick, or too busy with work, I would go back to my old ways.

I found that the small changes worked, because they were sustainable. When I had the small wins (drop in weight, feeling better/stronger, more confident) that gave me the motivation to push myself harder and keep shooting for my goals.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Gotta get in the right mindset... sometimes easier said than done. Wasn't able to get motivated for 1+ yrs. But I'm back now... all in! Just gotta stick with it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ckredizon wrote: »
    There have been a few times in my life where I've been able to stick to a lifestyle change long enough to really change my body. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. I find that the habits that stick are the ones you look forward to on a daily basis.

For the last couple of weeks, I've actually enjoyed and looked forward to going to the gym and cooking my own food, which is very new for me. Liking healthier foods and healthier habits has made it easier to lose my first couple pounds than before, but I'm worried I'll wake up one day and just not want to do any of it anymore.

I don't. Motivation is fleeting.

I created a set of habits that I follow because I want to reach my goals. Just like brushing my teeth daily, it's something I have to do to stay healthy.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    it may be "dumb" and I know he isn't "real"...but it works for me. I don't miss workouts...even "enjoy" them. I even started running OCR's back in 2015!

w0lastbf2xuz.jpg
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're enjoying what you're doing but instead of being afraid of losing motivation it's best to accept that it WILL happen at some point and from time to time and have a plan. That "plan" would be as mentioned by others: relying on your habits rather than your motivation.

You workout and eat healthy because that's what you need to do just like going to work and doing household chores. Treat that part of your life the same way and don't stop and ask yourself if you "feel" like working out or if you "feel" like eating the meal you planned. Just do it knowing that you'll always feel better afterwards.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and make small changes...
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Now that I've been doing it for so long, I'm just like this is how I live, I couldn't change it if I tried! I think it helps that I'm constantly checking into MFP to make sure I'm following the eating plan I've set up for the day and/or adjusting food I've logged in.
    Before that though, I STRUGGLED to eat right because I wasn't looking at the calories, being motivated to exercise wasn't really much of a problem though because I love going for walks & runs as it eases my mind. But when winter came along it limited my options and the weight started creeping back up on me.
    Now that I can visually SEE what I'm eating, I can be a little bit lazy in the exercise department...and I'm still losing weight!...and that just keeps me coming back every day to log in my numbers.
  • ckredizon
    ckredizon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice guys! Sounds like the key is building the habit and choosing to make healthy decisions because you have to even if you may not want to every single day. Love it.
  • Gabbie361
    Gabbie361 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My motivation is wanting to join the military but being told I didn't meet the weight requirements. So I'm going to work for it and im going to loose that weight
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's most certainly about forming those good habits and breaking the bad ones. Another great way is to establish a mantra. Write down the reasons why you want this and look at them often.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ckredizon wrote: »

Motivation is an emotion that ebbs and flows...nobody is motivated all of the time. It ultimately comes down to habits and discipline and beyond that, having a dietary and exercise approach that is reasonable and flexible. You're never going to eat 100% healthy all of the time...you're never not going to miss a workout, etc.

It helps to do things you enjoy...I enjoy cycling and it is my primary form of cardiovascular fitness...for the most part, I don't really need motivation here...it's basically a hobby. In the winter I'm often relegated to putting my bike on my indoor trainer which is not particularly fun, but if I don't do it, I'll be way behind come cycling season. I also like rock climbing, hiking, and lifting weights...none of these things are particularly chores for me.

As eating goes, I eat a varied and balanced diet...I'm also a good cook and learned a long time ago that healthy and nutritious doesn't mean bland or boring or salads all of the time. I also indulge in not so nutritious options, but in the context of my diet as a whole and when looking at the big picture, these things are largely irrelevant.

Most successful people I've come across, including myself made incremental changes over time...most people can't just flip a switch and change all of their habits at once and do a 180* overnight...the process takes time and patience and being realistic that nobody is 100% perfect and "on" all of the time. Hell, even my trainer comes over for tequila shots once or twice per month...
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a lifestyle change. Once you have committed to it, it becomes something you enjoy and look forward to. It probably took around 2 years (I'm going on year 4 now) before I could say it was a true lifestyle change where I didn't have to force myself.

The key is picking back up when things happen, like an injury, or a new schedule at work, things like that. The key is to keep going and don't lose sight of the goal.

Another bit of motivation for me is looking at my elders. I see them now and imagine them 10, 20, 30 years ago. Did they look similar to how they do now? It makes you realize how life catches up with you, and if you do not implement good habits at a young age you will 100% pay for it later in life. This is something I always try to keep at the forefront of my mind. "If I do X now, what will the outcome be (10, 20, 30) years from now?"
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    donharkrn wrote: »
    It's most certainly about forming those good habits and breaking the bad ones. Another great way is to establish a mantra. Write down the reasons why you want this and look at them often.

So true. As dorky as it may seem, mantras really do help. It is a constant reminder of your goals. This is true for many things.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    I don’t stay motivated. I’m another person who doesn’t think it’s possible. During times when I am motivated I try set good habits. When not motivated, I try to rely on my habits to see me through.

I deal with positive thinking in a similar way. It’s not possible to only have positive thoughts. But I keep watch for negativity and try to push back and neutralize it. I only need net positive thinking to make progress.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I cant rely on motivation. I think what we all need is determination.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I cant rely on motivation. I think what we all need is determination.

This. There were plenty of times I was motivated and plenty of times I was not. I was always determined. There will probably be times when you just want to give up. Just don't, and lose the weight in a way that is sustainable for you in the long run.
  • abbefaria4
    abbefaria4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I read a book by a famous psychologist called The Beck Diet Solution that suggested one of the main ways to maintain motivation was to write down why we want to lose weight and then review those reasons on a daily basis. She actually argues that we should also keep the reasons on flashcards so we can review them when we are tempted. I've tried it and it seems to help. Good luck!