Pray through cravings????

Options
I don't know about you, but one of my biggest struggles with weight loss is my seriously unhealthy relationship with food. I come from an overweight Italian family, where literally our lives are based around food.. "Hey I found this recipe for this dish" or "know what would make this even better/" Or "are you sad, let's have some ice cream" Someone died, "EAT" someone was born, eat, a wedding, EAT!!! When I first met my husband he would come to our family functions and say, "Who else is coming?" I would respond no one and with a confused look he would reply, "Then who is all of this food for?" So not only do we eat for every emotion, every feeling, every problem, or pleasure, we also eat in abundance!
Needless to say again, My biggest struggle is with food! But I get through each day by praying through my cravings!
I know it sounds insane, but I swear it works... Probably about 50 times a day, without little exaggeration , I crave something sweet, and something crunchy! Luckily I don't buy a lot of junk food, however it does not stop me from just eating anything I CAN find! So I pray. "Hi God, it's Liz it's 9:54 am, and I really want to eat something off the plan. Lord help ,e through this, so that I can become a better, healthier person, the person you made me to be!" Hi, I know it's only 10:00 am, but I am feeling so totally snackish, what is my problem? Help control my thoughts Lord, I do NOT want to bake a cake and eat it all!" And so forth!
It really seems to help, and puts what you are doing into perspective. Even try ":Well I am eating a bowl of ice cream, help me to stop at just this one bowl Lord, I'm not sure that I can do it without you!"
Sometimes when I do my workout and just don't think I can finish I even pray through that! After all it does say in the Bible, With God ALL things are possible, aren't you glad it doesn't just say some things? :)

Matthew 19:26
New International Version (NIV)
26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Replies

• dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip.:smile:
  • dzgirl
    dzgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reminding that prayer really is the answer to overcoming temptation. I need to remember to ask the Lord to help me enjoy food the way he intended it to be enjoyed. I imagine Jesus truly enjoyed his meals on this earth.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My mom does that all the time for not just food temptations. Rosaries are all over her house for whenever she needs one.
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    With out God in my life, I don't think I would be able to continue with my new journey!!!
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    God is the reason I have been able to loose 40 lbs. With his guidance and strength I faced each temptation and each day. Thanks for the reminder. That is what I need. Been struggling this last month. Every since I had a vacation and tasted bad food it was like the devil in me took over. So step back devil I don't need you I pray that God will help throught he next 120 lbs i need to lose . ONe day at a time, one pound at a time and most days one bite at a time :)
    God Bless ya all .
    Kat
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. I wish I remembered to do that all the time. I am reading and excellent book that has that message at its core. It's called "Made To Crave". God can get us through everything, so why I don't go to Him immediately is beyond me.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    This is the key in my journey as well. Actually, it was the key BEFORE I even started it- asking the Lord to give me the DESIRE to WANT to even CARE about changing my lifestyle and overcoming food addictions.

I don't even get out of bed until I have asked the Lord to guide me.
    He's always leading, but I haven't always listened- I've rebelled and reverted back to some binges- but I logged them, saw the damage- and realized I had a new day the next day to get back on track after I confessed it and repented.
    THAT'S GRACE :)

And perhaps you will understand how much *FUN* it is when I hit my calorie goal exactly on 0- it's just an affirmation that
    He's really in control and I'm just yielding it over to Him.
  • LizToner
    LizToner Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. I wish I remembered to do that all the time. I am reading and excellent book that has that message at its core. It's called "Made To Crave". God can get us through everything, so why I don't go to Him immediately is beyond me.
  • LizToner
    Options
    I am reading Made to Crave too, isn't it a GREAT book?
  • LizToner
    Options
    AMEN ladies! I will be praying for all of you as well! With God on our side all things are possible.
    "And if our God is with us, then who could ever stop us, and if our God is for us, then what could stand against?"
    Our God is Greater by Chris Tomlin
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do this also! Have you ever heard of the Weigh Down Workshop? (www.weighdown.com)
    That's the whole idea of the program - going to God instead of going to food. It's really an addiction just like anything else in this world. And God can give us soo much more than food ever could :-)
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    I was raised in church but have not been for some time. I suppose my 'life' took over, no excuse I know. Reading these posts reminds me that my life is not my own, and it can be better if I allow myself to be guided. I didnt make the decision to change my lifestyle on my own, its was with HIS help. So wth HIS help I will pray through cravings and succeed!!!!!!!!!!
  • janineswenson
    janineswenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lampchop1042 (Alicia)

I have done Weigh Down and read the Made to Crave book also. I would highly recommend reading the Made to Crave book too. It goes so much deeper into your personal walk. Anyone who desires to be closer to God would benefit from it. I've been praying for the Lord to release me from this food issue for years. It's the last area of my life that I was willing to turn over to Him. He has shown Himself faithful through this book and a small group of friends for accountability/encouragement. As I let go and opened up to Him honestly, He was there to offer me something better.

I already knew the "How To" in regard to my health. I just didn't really have the "Want To" down solid yet. After this summer of this book and my group, I can honestly say, that the Lord has done a work in my heart in this area. And it's staring to show up on the outside too and on the scale at slow and steady pace.

God Bless you.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for sharing! A while ago, our pastor did a sermon on temptation, and told us that anytime we're tempted, we should pray for God to help us resist the temptation. Don't really think he was talking about food, but it helped me! ;o)
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    Haha this is a very interesting tactic. But it's true!
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me. -- Phillipians 4:13
    Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. - Matthew 19:26

Both are great mantras for all the things we struggle to over come. Whether it's food or just allowing ourselves to be happy.