Fitbit users - calorie count.

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" 26 and ~140, wanting to get down to 135 eventually. My maintenance is somewhere between 1800-1900, still trying to figure it out. But I find I am more consistent with loss when I eat around 1500 (give or take) plus half of my exercise calories, so I thinking to keep myself on sedentary and only eat about 200-250 of my fitbit adjustment calories. The adjustment is just a bit irritating haha.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am 5'5" 26 and ~140, wanting to get down to 135 eventually. My maintenance is somewhere between 1800-1900, still trying to figure it out. But I find I am more consistent with loss when I eat around 1500 (give or take) plus half of my exercise calories, so I thinking to keep myself on sedentary and only eat about 200-250 of my fitbit adjustment calories. The adjustment is just a bit irritating haha.

If you don't like seeing the adjustment un-sync both apps - I know a lot of people who do just that.
    So you're talking 1750 cals, that sounds good to me. You'll know in a few weeks if you can adjust your calories up again.
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @Fitnessgirl0913 Go into 'food and exercise diary settings' scroll down near bottom of page and check box for 'enable negative adjustments'. When both apps are syncs this sorts everything beautifully :smile:

I cant see this setting anywhere on MFP..can you be a little more specific on where to find this as I think this will help. Thank you
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

If you don't like seeing the adjustment un-sync both apps - I know a lot of people who do just that.
    So you're talking 1750 cals, that sounds good to me. You'll know in a few weeks if you can adjust your calories up again.

Yeah I think I will try a couple weeks with only eating half the adjustment while in a deficit and see where I end up and then decide if I want to unlink them. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Fitnessgirl0913 Go into 'food and exercise diary settings' scroll down near bottom of page and check box for 'enable negative adjustments'. When both apps are syncs this sorts everything beautifully :smile:

I cant see this setting anywhere on MFP..can you be a little more specific on where to find this as I think this will help. Thank you

Its on the main MFP website when you sign in there under the instructions I gave above. I've just checked the mobile app and am not seeing that it can be done from there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

Yeah I think I will try a couple weeks with only eating half the adjustment while in a deficit and see where I end up and then decide if I want to unlink them. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!

You're welcome :smile: always glad to help.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Blaze. My daily calories burned averages VERY closely to my TDEE estimate. I generally complete 20,000-30,000 steps each day. A percentage of them (~12000t to15000 steps) are usually done in a treadmill workout in the morning. I find that when my workouts are longer and more intense, my Fitbit estimate is a little higher than my calculated TDEE estimate. When my steps are all of "non-workout" intensity, my Fitbit estimate can be several hundred calories lower than my TDEE estimate.

I have only had it since Christmas, so I cannot yet comment on whether it accurately predicts my weight result. However, considering the information above and my own historical data, I am pretty confident it is going to be close.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I actually find my FitBit to be fairly accurate. I can understand the hesitation to trust it. I got mine almost a year ago and had been set to sedentary on MFP because I do work a desk job. Come to find out just my "sedentary desk job" got me enough steps to be moved to lightly active and add on top of that taking my dog for a walk after work at night (which I don't consider purposeful exercise, just another task to be done) and I easily can hit very active.

It took trial and error and meticulously tracking my intake and weight over a set period of time to realize that for me fitbit is quite active. In the winter I change MFP to sedentary since I'm unable to get out most days and walk around like I usually would and in the summer I change it to a higher setting. The number works for me and if anything even FitBit is a bit low at estimating. According to projections from my Fitbit I would maintain around 2200 however, like I said meticulous tracking of my weight and intake on a spreadsheet show closer to 2350 for completely sedentary and much higher when I'm more active.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't use any of my calories burned from my Fitbit.

It seem very close to my steps, since everyday I am doing pretty same thing, and it's close to same
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I actually find my FitBit to be fairly accurate. I can understand the hesitation to trust it. I got mine almost a year ago and had been set to sedentary on MFP because I do work a desk job. Come to find out just my "sedentary desk job" got me enough steps to be moved to lightly active and add on top of that taking my dog for a walk after work at night (which I don't consider purposeful exercise, just another task to be done) and I easily can hit very active.

It took trial and error and meticulously tracking my intake and weight over a set period of time to realize that for me fitbit is quite active. In the winter I change MFP to sedentary since I'm unable to get out most days and walk around like I usually would and in the summer I change it to a higher setting. The number works for me and if anything even FitBit is a bit low at estimating. According to projections from my Fitbit I would maintain around 2200 however, like I said meticulous tracking of my weight and intake on a spreadsheet show closer to 2350 for completely sedentary and much higher when I'm more active.

This is almost exactly me. I was set at Sedentary on MFP because of my desk job, and when I got my FitBit and started seeing large exercise adjustments, I too questioned the accuracy of the tool. But I got the good advice on here that averaging 8-10k steps a day (at the time) wasn't Sedentary, it was lightly active. And when I changed my activity level accordingly, my base cals went up and my adjustments got smaller, bit it was more representative of my actual exercise, which I liked. In spring /summer I average 14-16k steps a day, but this winter I've been struggling to hit 12k steps. It's fine, my cal adjustments are smaller and with negative adjustments enabled I know that even if I'm ill, or on a long road trip, then the systems will keep my calories in check.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wingsont84 wrote: »

It seem very close to my steps, since everyday I am doing pretty same thing, and it's close to same

Why not?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Mine is synched with my cronometer which has an option for "in a coma" vs sedentary so I eat back every last one; no issues lol
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a charge 2 and the calories it gives me seem very accurate—about 1800/day to maintain. I don’t track my cals meticulously unless I’m trying to drop a few pounds though. If anything, fitbit underestimates my runs-I only get 260 cals for a 3.5 mile run. I eat back all my exercise calories and more because I’m usually starving after a run.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As multiple sources and studies can attest the activity level associated with 10K steps is generally called active.

Whether your steps were generated via deliberate exercise or not they still require a caloric expenditure.

Yes, deliberate exercise steps one to one spend more calories than incidental ones do. It still doesn't change the fact that for most people 10K steps is associated with an active activity level.

Your own food logging and whether your BMR is as predicted or an outlier has as much to do with whether you can eat those calories as anything else.

That is why the suggestion is to go with what Fitbit and mfp recommend and adjust after 4 to 6 weeks based on your trending weight results (you do use trendweight or a different trending weight app to gauge your weight level, don't you? :wink: ) especially if you're setup to lose at a good clip, or if you're trying to maintain, both cases where being slightly off will not impact too badly on final results.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14715035/

Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i). <5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index'; (ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active'; (iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and (iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'.

MFP has one less setting available and so the area between lightly active and active is slightly blurred, but 10k is well beyond any blurring!

Generally I find that 14 to 16k steps exhausts mfp's very active level and more calories have to be added after that.

For those who are willing to look things up even more, MFP activity factors are 1.25, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 since deliberate exercise is supposed to be added on top.

Because of the way that integration Works between mfp and Fitbit, the calculation is finalized at midnight. If you're not very active in the late evening, you will "lose" Fitbit calories heading towards midnight. The higher your activity level on mfp the higher the loss.

Most people prefer to have higher positive adjustments and not to have to deal with large late night reductions if not active at night, others, such as myself, prefer to start with a higher activity level and allotment on mfp.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Wingsont84 wrote: »

Why not?

No answer, just don't. If so I would need 6000 cal aday
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I used scooby's calculator and then updated the TDEE in my fitbit to match, and also measured my stride walking and running. The combination of those changes have made the fitbit data much more accurate.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've found the fitbit adjustment for step's accurately, and under estimates for more strenuous exercise
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used scooby's calculator and then updated the TDEE in my fitbit to match, and also measured my stride walking and running. The combination of those changes have made the fitbit data much more accurate.

How do you update your TDEE in fitbit? Doesn't it just automatically calculate depending on your activity?