Gum-chewing: What say you?

Options
So, I wanted to know general options on gum. Sugarless, regular sugar-packed, any variety. Do you condone it? Do you shun it? Do you count it? I know I used to chew sugarfree gum by the pack (I used to seriously always have some in my mouth), but then it got less intense, and I when I started MyFitnessPal I eventually stoppew chewing it for various reaspns, and then switched to regular gum for a while, but then now cut it off altogether. Now, even the stench of chemical-based sugarfree gum turns me off. But what are your opinions on gum?

Replies

• jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I loathe gum! I think it's evil. But I think that's more from the fact that everytime I chew a piece, I get sick.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I love gum :D gives me fresh breath ^-^ life is too short to give it up IMO xD

(doesnt make me sick) hehe
  • csoul27
    csoul27 Posts: 53
    Options
    I used to chew sugarless gum everytime I got hungry. It helped. Now not so much cause of all the junk in it. Made my stomach hurt sometimes.
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I chew it and don't count it. Unless its bubble gum of some kind. I figure the chewing kills off the little bit of cals that the reg stuff has attached to it.
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Strong minty suger-free gum helps curb my appetite. Especially after meals when I crave sweets.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My choice is extra sugar free gum...I chew it everyday and they have awesome flavors to choose from.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I chew gum all day long. Keeps my mouth busy so I'm not stuffing it with snacks, cigarettes, fingernails - whatever. I would say I seriously have a chewing gum addiction thats lasted since high school (I'm 52 now)!!

I chew Trident regular - it doesn't have any artificial colors added to it. And I don't log it since it is <5 cals per stick.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love Orbit. I usually have some in my purse and my desk at work. I dont log it because I agree with the above. The chewing eats the >5 calories that are in a piece. Also helps with the sweet tooth
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I chew sugarfree Orbit gum. I don't see anything wrong with it and it's less than five calories a piece so I don't count it.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I don't chew it often, or for long, because I have TMJ. It hurts after a while. However, I do like to use sugar-free gum as a deterrrent to putting food in my mouth (I won't do it if something else is there). I don't count it. 5 calories per piece will surely be burned by the act of chewing it for ten minutes, right? I really like the new Dessert Delights line, and have several flavors in my purse. I probably chew a piece three or four times a week for about ten minutes.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to chew sugarfree gum all the time so that I wasn't snacking, but about four weeks ago, I noticed that when I was chewing gum, I got hungrier! I looked it up, and apparently when the saliva gets down into your stomach from chewing, it sends signals that you are waiting for food, and when the food doesn't come, you get the hunger pangs. So I have stopped chewing gum and have noticed that I have not been getting as hungry.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Fills me full of gas and doubt it's very good for me, but yes, Extra Sugarfree Peppermint for me please!!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    I chew gum all day long. Keeps my mouth busy so I'm not stuffing it with snacks, cigarettes, fingernails - whatever. I would say I seriously have a chewing gum addiction thats lasted since high school (I'm 52 now)!!

I chew Trident regular - it doesn't have any artificial colors added to it. And I don't log it since it is <5 cals per stick.

LOL You sound like me, except now I limit myself to just two pieces a day. Ditto on the "not stuffing it with ....", otherwise I would never stop eating!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I chew it occasionally. I have noticed it will help me get through a craving if I'm not really hungry just wanting to munch on something. But if I am hungry and chew some my tummy will start to hurt and grumble.
    I don't count it, I used to till a nutritionist I was working with a while back laughed at me for being so meticulous.
  • avahsmiles4me
    avahsmiles4me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoy chewing Spearmint sugar free Gum on a daily basis. I probably chew 1-2 sticks per day, so no biggie. I know what I'd be doing if I didn't chew it!! Yeah, you guessed it, I'd be splurging on hi-fat calorie laden goodies!!

:)
  • janineswenson
    janineswenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I looked it up, and apparently when the saliva gets down into your stomach from chewing, it sends signals that you are waiting for food, and when the food doesn't come, you get the hunger pangs. So I have stopped chewing gum and have noticed that I have not been getting as hungry.

I used to chew gum constantly until a vey smart lady I know told me that it was bad for the stomach. She said the chewing motion of the jaw and the swallowing of the saliva tells the brain to get the stomach churning. I never notived that it made me hungry, but I had always noticed that it made my stomach growl. I was extremely cautious not to chew gum on an empty stomach if I was going to a class or to church because of the loud stomach growls I'd have.

Her warning to me was not about hunger, but about medical stomach conditions such as ulcers, cancers,etc... If the stomach starts churning it will release acids to break down food that it thinks it's receiving. If there is no food there, the acid is working on the lining of the stomach.

Since then, I have stopped chewing gum on a regular basis. I will only have it a few times a year and for short periods of time, like if I need my breath to be fresh or clean my teeth. I use the gum with Xylytol to keep the teeth cleaner, but spit out after 5 minutes.