Running in winter?

Options
M_lifts
M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
Hi all

I started couch to 5k in may and now can run 5ks pretty easily! first race in sept! Now my question is regarding winter time running! For those who have been running, is it easier to run winter time? What do u wear? I really dont want to stop running in winter- just looking for some survival tips!

if it helps! im in the uk

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I live in Germany near the mountains and I still run in the winter, actually I almost prefer winter running. I actually hate hot weather, being sweaty and hot does not appeal to me at all. I find it much harder to motivate myself to run in the summer time. Normally I wear Under Armour running leggings, a long sleeve work-out shirt, my Patagonia shell jacket, a fleece headband/earband and gloves. If it's extra cold and windy I'll switch out the shell jacket for my Mammut fleece jacket. Both jackets I run with have hoods in case I want to warm up my head a bit. For me the most important things are my gloves and earband, as long as my fingers and ears are warm I can run forever in the cold.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love to run when it's cold!!!
    There's tons of winter gear out there. I personally wear my regular cotton shorts, thick, knee high snowboarding socks, gloves, hat and an under armor shirt. Once it gets really really cold, I wear a sweatshirt or a fleece over my shirt.
    I also make sure to go on the treadmill a few times just so I don't over extend myself.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Except for ice, I like running in the winter better. Unlike when it's hot, you can layer your clothing and stay snug as a bug. If you're too snug, lose a layer :)

I wear running pants, a long sleeve base layer, and either a rain/windproof jacket or a slightly thicker jacket if it's colder. Sometimes I will add a layer between the base and jacket. It doesn't get THAT cold here though. Body heat keeps me warm.

To me, there's nothing better than a early AM run in the winter :)
  • M_lifts
    Options
    thanks guys! didnt think about ear muffs! will have to invest!
  • supaphly42
    Options
    You never mentioned what part of the country you live in... winter running up north is a lot different than in the south, haha. Anyway, I run outside all winter long. Ditto on what others said about being able to layer up and keep warm. You'll have to experiment with what works best for you. I've run in -25F wind chills and snow, so with the right gear you'll be fine.

For me, it's shorts into the 30s, tights from about 20-30, and wind pants (with or without a liner under) below that. I wear wool socks to keep my feet warm, and just my regular running shoes. Up top, I have a Columbia shell I throw on once it's below 30 (fleece above that). Under it, I'll either wear a tech tee, long sleeve tech, or even a fleece over the long sleeve if it's really cold. Fleece hat, wouldn't trade it for the world. Fleece gloves into the teens, and snowboard gloves below that. Hope this helps!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I miss the winter running ... this summer running is just not fun for me.
    For my winter running I wear a set of UnderArmor with my Nike half zip and nike pants over ... and my windbreaker vest over the top of that (but that is only for the coldest days) 1 pair of socks because my feet never get cold.
    I wear a handband for about 1 mile and take it off (hate things on my head) and gloves/mittens that have mittens that fold back ... gloves that you can open up the fingers and usually they also eventually come off as well.

You get faster in the winter -- and as long as you avoid ice (which I didnt do so well last year) its alot of fun. Even in the snowiest places... the main roads are usually pretty clear and quite frankly I run down the middle of the road. People usually get over :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Warm running tights, a normal running t-shirt, short sleeved, and a windstopper running jacket.

I don't run if it's too much below freezing as it's dangerous when the ground is frozen solid. I'll run in a light frost, though.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running in winter is awesome here in So Cal. I can wear short almost all year long. Early winter mornings can get down into the high 30s, but shorts, long sleeves and gloves seem to be the attire of choice.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Running in cold weather is great! While there is such thing as too hot for running alot outdoors, you can't really say that for cold weather in most parts of the world. Dress in layers and cover exposed skin. Your body generates a tremendous amount of heat. Like a furnace! So you will stay toasty. Trust me! I run year round.
  • M_lifts
    Options
    thanks everyone! just wanted to hear from seasoned runners! winter and running with be a strange new concept for me!