Help.....I am a snacker

Options
Hi there, I am a snacker and desperately need help to stop snacking in the evening. Even while I am writing this I am finishing off the last piece of pizza I found hidden in the fridge ( did I mention I was the one that hide it) so if anyone has tips or ideas to curb the urge please share..signed desperately seeking Su...mumble mumble mumble, sorry my mouth was full..

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you want to snack on that night. Log it in your food diary. See how many calories you’ll be eating. Eat a lighter lunch so you have enough remaining calories to snack in the evening. It doesn’t matter when you eat the food, it just matters that you eat fewer calories than you burn. I snack a few times a week, but pre-logging keeps me within my daily goal.
  • Elizabeth_ctran
    Elizabeth_ctran Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible snacker too! Lately I've been logging down my snack intake to see how much calories I'm taking in .. I try to do smaller portions. Like, I would pour some chips in a small bowl and only eat that. But what also helps is a protein shake for me. If keeps me full so I don't end up grabbing something to eat in the middle of Lunch and Dinner.
  • KateA2017
    KateA2017 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Me to Twix Kit Kat and Milky Way. ☹️
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Find out if you want to snack or stop snacking. If you want to stop snacking, plan balanced and satisfying meals and aim to stick to them. If you want to snack, plan balanced and satisfying meals and snacks and aim to stick to them. The common denominator is that you have to have a realistic plan you want to stick to, and then apply discipline.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating enough calories in the day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of ways to go about it:
    1. Eat well during the day (don't skimp on calories) and then willpower your way for a couple of weeks in the evening until you "unlearn" the habit of snacking - hard but doable.
    2. Allocate calories for evening snacks and have your snacks ready in advance in an easy to grab place so you are less tempted to reach for something else you haven't planned for out of convenience.

Both ways require a bit of getting used to at first and a level of willower then things become easier.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Well, there’s snacking and then there’s out of control snacking.

How aggressive is your program? A plan you cant live with is not a good plan for you. I plan 2 snacks at night, about 150 calories. One is usually some sort of low fat ice cream around 8pm for 100 cals. The second is something, fruit, candy, a piece of a snack bar for the remaining 50 calories right before bed.

The reason for the schedule is delay. It’s not a matter of just say no, it’s a matter of delay. I find delay a lot easier than tough it out. If I plan something just before bed, there is always something coming later. It keeps me calm.

Also, I did a lot of research on treats and found LF ice cream gave me the most satisfying portion. But it’s my treat for the day. Give in to cookies or candy during the day, there’s no calories left for ice cream.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calorie deficit isn't too aggressive. Make sure you're eating a balanced diet, plenty of healthy fats, protein and complex carbs. Drink plenty of water, get enough exercise. Drink herbal tea in the evening, I like chamomile. Go to bed earlier and get a good night's sleep. And if you're having pizza, don't hide the leftovers :D
  • showmanmd
    showmanmd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost the most weight and felt the best by only snacking..well what others would consider snacking..i ate every 2 to 3hrs..single size portions each time..so have an apple in the morning..couple hrs later have a yogurt then couple hrs later some eggs..then some vegetables..i usually kept my meat portions till the evening..i was never hungry and never full..always stayed under my calorie goal and it helped my stomach to process food better...might work for you too as long as you pick good things to snack on and small portions
  • shhhilo
    shhhilo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Find the time to pre pack snacks I usually buy the small snack ziplocks and say for example I buy pistachios, pecans, strawberries Il fill up 10+ bags measured to the serving on the package and store them il have one with water and does the job for me
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating after dinner? Are you ragingly hungry or are you eating out of boredom? Those are my two reasons I’d hit the fridge at night.

If you are ragingly hungry try and reallocate your calories during the day, and maybe reduce your deficit so that you don’t have a chance to develop the hunger rage.

If it’s boredom, replace the habit. Read Duhigg’s book for ideas. Picking up a new habit like knitting or crochet will keep you occupied without eating. Besides, pizza sauce messes up the knitting.

Try snacking with a cold glass of water beside you. With every bite chase it down with water. It will slow you down and you won’t be able to fit as much in.

Finally, why pizza? Why not a dry cracker? Is it because of the memory of how a great slice of pizza fills the senses with joy? That cold slice won’t compare to the original experience. So next time you sit down with your allocated slice of pizza take your time and really enjoy it. You can then later recall the pleasure (the brain gets the same dopamine hit from the memory) without having to eat a poor cold substitute.