Face wash for post-exercise?

Options
I feel like the more I work out, the more my face breaks out. It's not severe, but just enough to be annoying. Any suggestions on good face washing products that seem to work for you? I don't necessarily have sensitive skin, but obviously it's reactive to sweat so.. it is what it is. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    They make tons of wipes that are good. Big thing is making sure you're not wearing any make up before you go in. I use neuatrigina however you spell it.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Keeping your skin as clean as possible before and during workouts is just as important. I bring my own towels from home and dab any sweat with a towel and do not touch my face while working out. That will transfer germs and grime from the equipment onto my skin.

Most of the time I go to the gym right after work so I DO have some make-up on, but I only wear lip stain and eye make-up (liner, mascara). I don't wear foundation or concealer so my skin only has my daily moisturizer on it when I workout. I wash my face as soon as I can afterwards with gauze pads and micellar water.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I usually workout over lunch during work, so I do have makeup on. I usually use a makeup remover afterwards and then reapply enough just to make myself look not-scary. I'm definitely not a heavy wearer - usually just a powder (no foundation), some concealer, and minimal eye makeup.

Do you have any suggestions to actual face washes to use on a daily basis? In addition to wipes pre/post workout?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I like Cetaphil because it's gentle. I use that in the shower but in the morning (and after the gym) I use micellar water and gauze pads. But, it's really dry right now and I have hard water at home so my skin is pretty dry. If you have oilier skin then you'd probably need a different cleanser.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yeah, make up diring a workout , even just a little tends to break you out more. I think it has something to do with excersise opening your pores and blood vessels wider and making it easier for makeup to get caught inside. But don't quote me on that, it's kind of a half remembered lesson from forever ago, lol.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel like it's definitely drier in my house right now and my skin is reflecting that too. I'm heading to Amazon now to check these out.

And loud and clear about the makeup thing. I KNOWWWWWW it's bad, so i'll try to take it off first. It's difficult when I go straight from work, etc. but i get it. :)
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think if it's just sweat your skin doesn't like, anything soapy will work. I just use the imperial leather foamy banana bubble bath on my face. Works fine and smells like bananas lol
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have very sensitive rosacea prone skin. I wash my sunscreen off before I workout and just do a water rinse after. I use Neutrogena extra gentle non foaming face wash for all my face wash needs. The only wipes my face will tolerate are the Neutrogena make up remover towelettes.

If I were you, try taking your make up off before your workout before switching face washes.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F1D56HI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515787079&sr=8-3&keywords=neutrogena+ultra+gentle+hydrating+cleanser&dpPl=1&dpID=41e77yk1fjL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MLBPDQ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515787147&sr=8-1&keywords=neutrogena+ultra+gentle+make+up+remover+cleanser&dpPl=1&dpID=41Ue0ToLIJL&ref=plSrch
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If I workout in my makeup, my face is going to break out. So make sure you get it off or don't out it on before gym. I have been using equate version of clearasil creamy non-drying face wash since October, when my face broke out badly after an illness and medication set it off. My skin is doing great! I also use equate version of CeraVe moisturizer or a vitamin c and e cream.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Cetaphil helped clear up my face. I also don’t wear foundation or powder.
  • FatNFlabtoFit
    FatNFlabtoFit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m an Esthetician/work in skin care & hear about this frequently. Your skin becomes more sense of during the work out, because your pores open, sweating, bacteria.. so treat it gentle. It is best to cleanse your skin before work out; however, I know many want to wear makeup. Cetaphil would be my 1st choice... Great for all skin types, will master the skin, yet will clean it thoroughly. It’s also dermatologist recommend. They also have facial wipes that you can try; I found sometimes people working out doesn’t quite get all the sweat and bacteria off, but if you’re in a hurry and it might make a difference. If you try that and still have breakouts, Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser and/or Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Makeup Removing Towelettes. It has some salicylic acid in it, yet is still very gentle on the skin, unlike many other acne washes. Unfortunately, it’s trial and error. Feel free to reach out if this doesn’t work.
  • Swirvinwirvin
    Swirvinwirvin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    megjay18 wrote: »
    I feel like the more I work out, the more my face breaks out. It's not severe, but just enough to be annoying. Any suggestions on good face washing products that seem to work for you? I don't necessarily have sensitive skin, but obviously it's reactive to sweat so.. it is what it is. Thanks in advance!

I use a water based toner. From local pharmacy/ make-up and skin care aisle. It cleans my face and makes it tingle. Feels refreshing. Hope that helps.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have you tried the Loreal Miceller Cleansing water? OMG, it's been a lifesaver for me. You saturate it with a cotten ball and swipe it over your face. I use them after workouts and sometimes before bed when I'm too lazy to wash with liquid cleanser and water. I was skeptical of it at first, but I'm a convert. They make little bottles too that are perfect for a gym bag.