Sandwich Alternatives?

Options
Healthy alternatives to a sandwich? I've been having marmite sandwiches in my lunch which I love dearly, but the bread is soooo full of calories. I need something that's going to fill me up, be quite easy to prepare and not too pricey. Any lunch suggestions at all? Fussiest eater in the world here but desperate for ideas!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sandwich wraps, there are a number of sandwich wraps and tortillas with < 100 calories these days. Those little sandwich thins are also usually 90-100 calories and there are several brands of bread available now with lower calories slices. Sara Lee makes a bread that is 35 calories per slice.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    sandwich wraps, there are a number of sandwich wraps and tortillas with < 100 calories these days. Those little sandwich thins are also usually 90-100 calories and there are several brands of bread available now with lower calories slices. Sara Lee makes a bread that is 35 calories per slice.

Yep! You can also replace the bread with a lettuce leaf (or two) and make a wrap.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have occasionally replaced bread with romaine lettuce as suggested above but more often I go for the half sandwich so I still have the bread but I am only eating 1 slice instead of 2.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My experience is that wraps have as many calories as the bread, and skinny bread, along with half the calories, have half the holding power. I don't like picking my lunch out of my lap.

I'd rather eat an open face sandwich on a sturdy slice of sourdough than try and skimp the calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Have what you want. I don't presume to suggest what the fussiest eater in the world wants.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is it too full of calories? Is it hard to reach your nutritional goals and staying within your calorie allowance? Could you take one slice instead of two? Or cut down on something else?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My experience is that wraps have as many calories as the bread, and skinny bread, along with half the calories, have half the holding power. I don't like picking my lunch out of my lap.

I'd rather eat an open face sandwich on a sturdy slice of sourdough than try and skimp the calories.

Admittedly I don't eat many sandwiches but I love Flat-Out brand wraps mostly because I can get more inside them than on even the large sized loafs of bread. I can put my usual sandwich toppings plus a large handful of leafy stuff in there. Like a salad burrito.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a different brand of bread? It’s amazing the nutritional differences between brands and styles. Or maybe try a half sandwich with soup or a salad?

I’ve been eating my sandwiches on Thomas’ English Muffins 100cal whole wheat. They are pretty high in fiber and protein than the original. Of course, I don’t know if you have those where you are.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Australian Mountain bread is pretty cool. Super thin and low calorie.

http://www.noworriesnaturalfoods.com/home
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    I use spring roll wrappers with sandwich fillings inside. Only 30 calories per wrapper and very inexpensive. nuqkzguwavv2.jpeg
    Don’t know what marmite is, so not sure if this helps you.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I just put my sandwich filler in a snap lock bag and then eat it out of there with a fork. But I’m super lazy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins work for me. Some bread like Dave's comes in smaller thinner lower calories slices.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that you are in the UK from your mention of Marmite? :) Asda do a really nice Wholemeal and Rye bread (in their extra special range but still cheaper than hovis). It's still bread and is 103 calories per slice but it's a lot more substantial than others so fills you up for longer and you can save calories elsewhere. High in fibre too. Marmite is a great filling though and it's also nice with cucumber to add something else in without adding many calories.