Half Marathon Training

Options
boehle
boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
Monday I start my half marathon training.
Anyone else training for a half or even full and wanna be my buddy?! LOL

Monday Evening - 3 Mile run then 20 Minutes strength training
Tuesday Morning - 3 Mile run then 20 Minutes strength training
Wednesday - Rest Day
Thursday Morning - 3 Mile run then 20 Minutes strength training
Friday Evening - 2 Mile run then 20 Minutes strength training
Saturday Evening - 1 Mile walk then 60 Minutes strength training
Sunday Morning - 4 Mile run

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    when's your half?

what strength training are you doing that's nearly every day?

I'm going to roughly follow this when i start training next month

https://www.bupa.co.uk/~/media/images/healthmanagement/pdfs/intermediate-half-marathon_final.pdf?la=en&hash=F2E74EFF292B142578AB0D05B43A1B6EA1F3D1FF
  • boehle
    Options
    Cincinnati has the flying pig
    http://flyingpigmarathon.com/events/half-marathon/
    I haven't signed up because I need to know I can do it before I pay all that money.
    I do a lot of the machines at the gym to try to work on my arms. I do not have a set schedule but I know I should.
    I recently bought the new rules of lifting for women and have started reading it to try to learn more about it.
  • boehle
    Options

You are like a wealth of knowledge today.
    It is one of the few things I miss about my ex.
    He was very into lifting and was beginning to show me a lot about it.
    Thank you for that link as well. I shall go read on!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Flying Pig full! Is this your first time? It will be my third time doing the full and I have also done the half. It is one of the best marathon events I have done. The crowd support is amazing. I would not wait too long to register though, because this is the 20th anniversary of the race and they are expecting a great turn out.

One comment regarding your strength training. It is definitely great to do strength training in combination with your running program, but you might realize as you progress deeper into the program that you might want to scale it back a bit. The additional fatigue of trying to keep up with both components can be very taxing as you get into increased mileage. I usually focus more on strength training when I am not in a specific training cycle and then knock it back to light weight/body weight exercises two times per week when I am training for a race. I also try to incorporate as much stretching/yoga/balance type work as I can fit in.
  • boehle
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am doing the Flying Pig full! Is this your first time? It will be my third time doing the full and I have also done the half. It is one of the best marathon events I have done. The crowd support is amazing. I would not wait too long to register though, because this is the 20th anniversary of the race and they are expecting a great turn out.

One comment regarding your strength training. It is definitely great to do strength training in combination with your running program, but you might realize as you progress deeper into the program that you might want to scale it back a bit. The additional fatigue of trying to keep up with both components can be very taxing as you get into increased mileage. I usually focus more on strength training when I am not in a specific training cycle and then knock it back to light weight/body weight exercises two times per week when I am training for a race. I also try to incorporate as much stretching/yoga/balance type work as I can fit in.

Yes, this would be my very first and you are right.
    It is going to be crazy since its the 20th.
    Those are some very good points. I should look at adjusting the strength training.
    I work 2 jobs as it is, with a teenage son at home. So it is def going to be tiring.
    Mind if I add you?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

Those are some very good points. I should look at adjusting the strength training.
    I work 2 jobs as it is, with a teenage son at home. So it is def going to be tiring.
    Mind if I add you?

Please do. Are you in Cincinnati? I live in the northwest suburbs.
  • boehle
    Options

Mind if I add you?

Please do. Are you in Cincinnati? I live in the northwest suburbs.

I am in Milford. A little above it
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am planning on doing the Indy Mini the first Saturday of May and then the Niagara Women's Half the first Sunday in June. I have recently started the program in the book Strong by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove (the same people who did NROL). I am loving the program! Each workout takes about an hour and has 4 parts: a dynamic warm-up, a couple of ab/core exercises, about 4 strength exercises, then some HIIT. My current schedule looks like this:

M rest/stretching/yoga
    T Strong workout
    W 30 minute run
    T Strong workout
    F 30 minute run
    S Strong workout
    S 60 minute run

In March I will start building my long run on Sunday and stop doing the Strong workout on Saturday - don't want to kill my body before a long run.
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah!! I love running. Can't run until Feb 8. But when that day comes I get to start my training for a marathon. Good luck to you all!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've used Hal Higdon plans for three full marathons now. They work great. I usually shift some days around to fit my work and personal schedule but for the most part use his plans unmodified.

The most important thing for an endurance race is your long, slow, runs, and your recovery. Listen to your body. If you're feeling something besides the normal fatigue you get when training hard, like knee pain or pain in tendons, rest. And always take the rest day in his plans. That's almost as important as your long run day.

Have fun! I'm always so burned out on running after following the 18 week plan that I'm aching to get to the race, but crossing the finish line makes it all worth it!
  • boehle
    Options
    Acem24 wrote: »
    Heck yeah!! I love running. Can't run until Feb 8. But when that day comes I get to start my training for a marathon. Good luck to you all!

Why do you have to wait?!
    Running is def a mental release for me. I feel so good after.
  • boehle
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I've used Hal Higdon plans for three full marathons now. They work great. I usually shift some days around to fit my work and personal schedule but for the most part use his plans unmodified.

The most important thing for an endurance race is your long, slow, runs, and your recovery. Listen to your body. If you're feeling something besides the normal fatigue you get when training hard, like knee pain or pain in tendons, rest. And always take the rest day in his plans. That's almost as important as your long run day.

Have fun! I'm always so burned out on running after following the 18 week plan that I'm aching to get to the race, but crossing the finish line makes it all worth it!

That is all I want.. to cross the finish line. I don't even care about the time.
    That is how I was with my triathlon. I just wanted to finish and maybe I finished towards the back end of the pack but I finished!
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I had back surgery, I'm still in recovery. Feb 8 is when the hole in my back should be completely healed. Then I can take those baby steps to being myself again! Yay!
  • boehle
    Options
    Does this look like a better plan?

3cw6g18ftlcq.png
    2a9t31s52e12.png

• boehle
    Options

I had back surgery, I'm still in recovery. Feb 8 is when the hole in my back should be completely healed. Then I can take those baby steps to being myself again! Yay!

OMGoodness.
    Glad to hear you are recovering okay!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    First, don't wait to sign up. You already know you can do it. You just have to put in the work (and be smart - more on that below). Sign up and then you have a goal.

Training smart: First, why are you hitting your arms so often? Why hit them at all? It really does little good to focus on arms. A better approach would be a full body workout with compound movements. The book you purchased a terrific and should lead you in the correct direction. I have another NRFL book as well (very well written).

Second, get on a plan. The Hidgen plans are great. Get on oneand don't do more than it suggests. Keep the cross training to 2 days a week while you are training for the race.

And don't forget to eat. As you build up distance you need for calories goes up. You may even experience 'runger' (you want to eat everything you see in large quantities :) ).

And finally, get some decent shoes. Your legs and back will thank you. Get fitted at a specialty running store and choose from the ones they recommend.

Good luck.

PS - Feel free to add me if you like. I am not training for anything specific this Spring. I'm doing a couple halves and other smaller races as well as running Ragnar PA as part of an ultra team. My real training begins later this year for Wineglass marathon.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    sjp - is this your first half? Your mileage is really low for a half marathon. You might consider adding a running day in lieu of the weights. Decide which is most important to you. If you want to enjoy and do well at your races, then you need more miles.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    sjp - is this your first half? Your mileage is really low for a half marathon. You might consider adding a running day in lieu of the weights. Decide which is most important to you. If you want to enjoy and do well at your races, then you need more miles.

I've done 30+ half marathons and I rarely run more than 3x a week. Right now I am keeping mileage low as I focus on strength training. As my half marathon gets closer, I will build mileage and scale back my strength training to 2x per week.