Protein shakes

Options
I want to start making my own protein shakes at home instead of buying them because sometimes those have a lot of sugar in them.
I am wondering which protein would be best to use? Flavored or unflavored protein? How many shakes you should drink a day? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying my hardest to eliminate as much sugar as possible. I cut out sodas and tea and drinking lots and lots of water now. :)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Don't drive yourself silly over sugar. It is well that you've eliminated sugary sodas and sugary tea. If you can tolerate bitter tea, that's perfectly well to consume. If you can tolerate bitter coffee, that's perfectly well to consume. If you must have a little sugar in your tea and coffee, count it and make your food budget accommodate it.

That said, you can use google to find all the nutrition facts of all the protein powders. Be specific in your search filter.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The first question is, why are you including protein shakes in your diet? What benefits are you hoping to obtain from them?

The answer to that question will help people give relevant advice. They may or may not even be necessary or beneficial to you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The first question is, why are you including protein shakes in your diet? What benefits are you hoping to obtain from them?

The answer to that question will help people give relevant advice. They may or may not even be necessary or beneficial to you.

This is a good point.

As for flavored vs. not, it depends what you consume it with and what tastes good to you. I use it sometimes to increase protein at breakfast if I am having something that would not otherwise have as much protein as I like, as I like to get around 25-30 g at breakfast.
  • chereenbruce850503
    chereenbruce850503 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was told protein helps you feel fuller longer and helps give you energy. Which I lack. Mom of 4 kids I can definitely use all the energy I can get. Trying to lose weight as well. Not a lot about 15 to 20 #s. I just started walking a lot and exercising more. I was told if I drink protein shakes that the mixture if the workouts and the shakes would be great together.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    They can help if you have trouble hitting your protein goal through regular food, but of course they add calories so make sure it fits in your plan. I drink them in place of meals sometimes just because I'm lazy but it's probably best to get as much as you can out of ordinary food. The best tasting I've had so far is PE Science, and they are usually 120 cal or so for 24 grams of protein.

As far as energy goes, you'll probably get the biggest boost just by losing those 15-20 lbs.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I love making my own protein shakes. I buy the unflavored protein powder from the bulk bins at Winco and get creative. I use milk or fruit juice as a base, then add yogurt, fruit, chocolate, peanut butter, or occasionally alcohol, and mix it up in the blender. I have a hard time eating as much protein as I would like to, so they make a yummy high protein meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Protein powder gives no benefit over getting protein from other foods, but if you enjoy it (or dishes including it, like a shake), it's a fine source.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I was told protein helps you feel fuller longer and helps give you energy. Which I lack. Mom of 4 kids I can definitely use all the energy I can get. Trying to lose weight as well. Not a lot about 15 to 20 #s. I just started walking a lot and exercising more. I was told if I drink protein shakes that the mixture if the workouts and the shakes would be great together.

They definitely don't do that for me. I never feel full if I drink my calories.

What I do with my protein powder - mix it with plain greek full-fat yogurt and frozen berries/fruit. That's my breakfast at least 5 days a week. Example below. 332 calories, 45 grams of protein.

1xmfoq9ond6q.jpg

I like Quest Salted Caramel, Quest Chocolate Milkshake, Quest Cinnamon Crunch, Trutein Pumpkin Pie and Trutein Cinnabun.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I like ISO Pure Whey for protein to calorie ratio. Flavored or unflavored is up to you. There's usually not much of a difference in macros. I prefer flavored because it is easier for me to use and less prep. It's suggested to only have one protein shake x day and get the rest of your protein from other sources like chicken, yogurt, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Drinking shakes is unlikely to keep you full and protein doesn't really get used for energy.
    The sugar in your protein shakes that you are trying to avoid would give you energy though!

Think you would be best served by looking at your entire diet, food choices and calorie deficit rather than try to supplement your way out of problems. Good time to do that as you are approaching goal.
  • HoustonTxMom63
    HoustonTxMom63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree..I love eggs for breakfast and eat often, but my husband and I have protein shakes for breakfast..low fat, low sugar, and high protein. I have never been a huge believer in protein shakes but he is doing abs after 40 and lost 25 lbs. We have tried numerous powders and the Muscle Tech vanilla is awesome. I use 1 scoop plus Chobani non fat yogurt (1/4 cup), 1 cup unsweetened Almond milk (40 calories) and either one frozen banana or 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. In the banana we add a tiny handful of walnuts and on the blueberry, we add a tiny handful of almonds (all organic) and I am telling you, they are DELICIOUS. We put organic cinnamon in the banana and very yummy. Both are around 380 calories and I am drinking this at 5:30 because I work early. I am not hungry until around 11:00/11:30. I consume real protein the rest of the day. We are hooked on these and we have both lost weight..eat eggs on the weekend. If you don't like protein shakes, not for you..but these taste like ice cream shakes. More ice makes it thicker and I have broken down the calories, sugar, fat and pretty darn healthy. Hope this helps!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love making my own protein shakes. I buy the unflavored protein powder from the bulk bins at Winco and get creative. I use milk or fruit juice as a base, then add yogurt, fruit, chocolate, peanut butter, or occasionally alcohol, and mix it up in the blender. I have a hard time eating as much protein as I would like to, so they make a yummy high protein meal.

Alcohol?!
  • Laruto
    Laruto Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I want to start making my own protein shakes at home instead of buying them because sometimes those have a lot of sugar in them.
    I am wondering which protein would be best to use? Flavored or unflavored protein? How many shakes you should drink a day? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying my hardest to eliminate as much sugar as possible. I cut out sodas and tea and drinking lots and lots of water now. :)

I adore vega one french vanilla nutritional shake with vanilla almond milk, vanilla rice ice cream, frozen berries. DELISH!!! If u get it start with less than a full scoop bc of the greens n probiotics lol until ur tummy gets used to it.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    New Whey....it’s 42 grams of protein 180 calories & zero sugar. It’s like taking a thick shot because it’s only 3.8 ounces
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, adding more protein to my diet helped me feel fuller, but it was food, not shakes. I will occasionally drink a protein shake for a snack if I'm not going to hit my protein goal for the day, but drinking my cals doesn't satisfy me for long. I added more eggs, canned tuna, lentils, and Greek yogurt to my diet to help me feel full, as well as more produce and whole grains to get my fiber up.
  • Princesstri
    Princesstri Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are tons of whey protein powders you can buy and veggie protein powders that have no sugar. Some have no sweeteners. Others use some form of stevia and xylitol. That’s a sweetener that doesn’t really get absorbed or raise blood sugar. My favorites are Garden of Life plant protein and Neocell Collagen Sport (a recovery drink after working out but good for smoothies too. )