Stevia

Options
I have read conflicting articles concerning the use of stevia. For someone doing Keto or low carb diets. Is it to be avoided all together? Or is it on a personal basis? Some can use with little or no effects with use, and some notice a slower progression in losing weight, Any words of wisdom are welcome. Trying to decide if I should use it, as I am not a fan of unsweetened coffee on those days I crave a cup. I am not willing to sacrifice taste to success if there is an absolute negative out put of personal testimonies to the use of stevia. thanks in advance.

Replies

• PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have not heard that you should avoid it on a low carb diet, but I'll admit that I don't have experience with going low carb. I personally don't like the taste of stevia (or any of the low cal sweeteners). I would rather have the real deal or nothing at all. But my husband swapped out regular sugar for stevia and likes it just fine. It's mostly a personal preference. I don't believe there's any evidence to suggest that it would hinder weight loss.
  • mwillder1
    mwillder1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been on a low card lifestyle for 4 months now and did, at first, cut out all sweeteners. I do add a bit of stevia now to some drinks, and it hasn't really affected my weight loss. Some other are more stringent, I'm sure.
  • emdavey92
    emdavey92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful with what stevia you use. Some "stevia blends" contain erythritol, which comes up on your carb count. I use pure stevia drops and they don't have any carbs. I use them primarily for my fat bomb recipes. I tried putting stevia in my morning coffee and I have found that I much prefer it black.

I think it all depends on how strict you are with your carb count. But a couple of drops a day shouldn't halt your progress or cause an insulin response.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I bought Stevia once. I threw most of it in the trash.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have read conflicting articles concerning the use of stevia. For someone doing Keto or low carb diets. Is it to be avoided all together? Or is it on a personal basis? Some can use with little or no effects with use, and some notice a slower progression in losing weight, Any words of wisdom are welcome. Trying to decide if I should use it, as I am not a fan of unsweetened coffee on those days I crave a cup. I am not willing to sacrifice taste to success if there is an absolute negative out put of personal testimonies to the use of stevia. thanks in advance.

weight loss comes down to calories so a no calorie or low calorie sweetener is not going to make any difference unless its putting you over your maintenance calories.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know of no problem for keto/low carbers using Stevia. In fact I think it is advised. I use it (I eat Keto). It does not do the same bad things to your metabolism, brain's dealing with the sweet improperly or create a "diabesity" problem like artificial no cal sweeteners. It isn't perfect. It is still a plant that is chemically altered to make it palatable. What that means for overall health - I don't know.

I did some research on the different brands before I bought. Try a few. Some are going to be utterly unpalatable. Don't pass by the liquid version. I use PureVia. It is the least bitter on my tongue.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    emdavey92 wrote: »
    Be careful with what stevia you use. Some "stevia blends" contain erythritol, which comes up on your carb count. I use pure stevia drops and they don't have any carbs.

Erythritol shouldn't be counted as a carb. It's one of the best sugar alcohols available and has pretty much no effect on blood sugar (I believe its glycemic index is only 1).

To OP: I eat keto and I use most artificial sweeteners except maltitol (which has a terrible glycemic index and imo should be counted, at least partially, in carb tracking). I use sucralose every day and it has not impeded my weight loss or worsened my health in any way.

I only use stevia occasionally because I don't like the taste, but it also has a glycemic index of 0, so it shouldn't negatively affect you. I know plenty of low-carbers who use it daily. I wish it didn't taste like musty cardboard to me!

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My husband uses Stevia. Personally, I use Torani sugar-free syrup to sweeten my coffee. It doesn’t take much, and I like the vanilla flavor.
  • KimKeepingItReal
    KimKeepingItReal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Much appreciated.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Stevia has no effect on blood gluscose so those with LCHF diets will often use it. Those that avoid it tend to do so because it causes cravings for sweeter things - they do better without it.

I like the liquid drops too. For me the key is to under sweeten and you can avoid the bitter after taste. I find 2 drops is similar to a teaspoon of sugar.