I don't have any control over the food I eat (not a lack of willpower)

Options
Hi everyone,

I know in the past few weeks there's been a lot of 'new year, new me' speeches being thrown out there... I suppose my version is a less corny one. I looked down at my bloated tummy, big arms, big legs, big everything on New Years Day and I asked myself "Where do I want to be this time next year? Do I want to be exactly the same as I am now, or worse, bigger?" The answer to this was no, absolutely not, I want to actually achieve something this year. (Corniness over)

Which leads me to my issue. I am currently living with my in-laws whilst my partner and I save for a house deposit and whilst this is amazing in terms of being able to reach my (our) goal of buying a house, it is not so great for my goals in terms of weight loss. Trouble is... as it is their house, they buy in all the food (I know, first world problem right - free food!) But my issue here is that I really have no control over what they buy in. They do buy things like chicken breast, lean steak and maybe canned soups and 'balanced' ready meals that *sometimes* help me out a little but I'd say most of the time I'm dealing with packaged, processed foods as well as white carbs and not really much to work with in terms of 'eating clean'.

That being said I am managing to stay close to my daily goal of 1,300 calories (either just under or just over) so does this mean that even though the foods I'm consuming aren't BEST for me, I will still lose weight?

Thanks in advance guys, any advice appreciated!

Replies

• Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is just like gaining weight, one calorie at a time. Just shifting to fewer rather than more, and working to build fitness while shrinking.
    Think back over how long it took to become overweight. It will probably take about the same, or a little longer to reach healthy weight, if you steadily eat at a calorie deficit. JMO
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone else said it already: weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit, so you can lose weight not eating "clean" food. However...lots of people find it easier to create that calorie deficit when they're incorporating lower-calorie, higher-volume foods (because you can eat more of them and feel fuller). With that in mind, could you offer to cook dinner once or twice a week for the household? That way, you have a mix of days where you have more and less control over what goes into your meals.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    There are so many good excuses to fail at this. Start with a positive outlook at the gift you've been given and do something with it like begin a challenging workout regimen to burn off those carbs. Speak privately with your mom-in-law about your goal. I promise she will appreciate your trust and asking for help. Imagine hubby carrying you over the threshold of your new house and saying, wow that was so easy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can eat most main meals just watching my portions and exchange fries for more salad. Yes, you can lose weight eating white carbs.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Lots of good answers already stated. The quantity of calories is more important that the quality for weight loss. Maybe not so for general health, but that's another story.

Another component of the Calories In and Calories Out concept is exercise. So if you're "forced" to take in too many calories, you can burn some off with increased physical activity.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Roobyzooby wrote: »
    Harsh perhaps BUT you do have control, it's you who puts the food into your mouth, clean eating is nonesense, food is food, calories are calories regardless. Good luck to you when you do get your own place, but will your excuse then be struggling with a mortgage payment can't buy "clean food" cheaper stuff makes me gain weight...

I agree.

No matter whose house you are in you have control over what you essentially end up putting in your mouth. Be honest with the whole house and tell them you are trying to cut back and watch calories and might have to make your own meals here and there. Make them and put in your own container. If you can't do that with "their" food then go buy your own and do it. ;) It's easier to blame others for not being able to do this. I know because I've done it. I'm the cook in our house and it's easy for me to just eat what I fix for the whole family. I will eat what they eat a lot of time but of course I weigh it first. But if they eat something like pizza or another high calorie meal that I know I won't be able to stop at just one helping then I plan something different for myself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's all about the calories for weight loss and eating "clean", whatever that means to you, is not a requirement for either weight loss or even to have a balanced diet. Plenty of foods which are processed and convenient still have nutrients - frozen vegetables, bagged salad, oatmeal, yogurt, the lean steak and chicken breast you refer to and even the packaged dinners - all of those can be incorporated into a balanced, calorie appropriate diet and so can the white carbs (assuming you mean white pasta, rice, bread and potatoes)? Why would any of those things prevent you from losing weight or from building a nutrient dense diet?

As others have suggested, talk to your parents about meal planning and grocery shopping and maybe offer to cook dinner a couple nights/week in exchange for the foods they are purchasing for you and the free rent. Offer to go to the store with them too.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all your meals at their house? Can you balance the dinners they generously provide with meals/snacks you have more control over?
  • teajay23
    teajay23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm there with you. Also living at my parents while we get our affairs in order, my family eats horribly. Lots of junk food, fatty foods, fried. I can eat about 1/4 of a meal if I eat their food. I went out and got soups, avocados, small things I can keep in a drawer in our room so I don't have to ask for space. (I did manage to squeeze a non fat frozen yogurt into the freezer, muwahaha)
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Why not just tell your inlaws you're trying to eat healthier to drop a few pounds?
    Buy salads fixings to help you fill up a bit on lower calorie food?
    Maybe offer to cook dinner (and buy what you'd like)?