Treadmill App

Options
I am looking for a good app for the treadmill, similar to what the peloton is for cycling. I found the studio app, has anyone tried it or have an app to suggest?

Replies

• 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with those apps I use gym boss which is basically an internal timer. I set up the intervals to be the exercise I want. The most frequently used one for me is 2.5 min and then a buzzer so I up either speed or incline making the workout steadily more difficult.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use Running for Weight Loss which I enjoy. It has a weight loss program, a running program for beginners, a 5K training, 10K training, half marathon and marathon training programs. I really like it. The app also has tips and a meal plan but that is with a paid subscription which I have. The programs can be used on the treadmill or outside.

I’m told Aaptiv personal training app is great too. But I’ve never tried it.
  • VaPinkGirl
    VaPinkGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the new treadmill coming out by the peloton company its called tread- look it up I think it is what you are looking for!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Zwift?
  • TH15TIME
    TH15TIME Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like the guided treadmill videos this guy releases every week - you can follow the onscreen prompts for effort level, so it's personal to you but has great, varied footage from different locations around the world. Here's the latest one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGdLMk-dvQ
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I second the suggestion of Zwift. There's a 7 day free trial and there aren't very many structured running workouts on the platform yet (you can see them here). That said you can create and upload your own workouts and there are group runs as well.

Note I've never actually used the running part of Zwift so everything I know is from reading the review of their running capabilities on DCRainmaker's blog, watching GP Lama's youtube videos on it, and seeing group runs on the Zwift events calendar.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I second the suggestion of Zwift. There's a 7 day free trial and there aren't very many structured running workouts on the platform yet (you can see them here). That said you can create and upload your own workouts and there are group runs as well.

Note I've never actually used the running part of Zwift so everything I know is from reading the review of their running capabilities on DCRainmaker's blog, watching GP Lama's youtube videos on it, and seeing group runs on the Zwift events calendar.

Fwiw I personally wouldn't pay for a Zwift subscription for only running. The experience is very different to that of the turbo, and the group runs aren't as well supported as group rides. As a supplement to a subscription for cycling it's not too bad, but it needs a lot more development to become attractive in its own right.

I'm not sure how you'd get past the control aspect. The worst that happens if the resistance on my turbo gets to high is that I still pedaling. That's a bit different to getting thrown off the back of the treadmill.
  • jopapgh
    jopapgh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Zwift is free for running, as it's still in beta. You will need some foot pod for cadence and speed. Although the group runs are not as broad as the cycling, they are still pretty motivating. I did a treadmill based group half marathon this winter, a distance I never imagined I could run on Satan's Sidewalk.
  • aokoye
    Options

I'm not sure how you'd get past the control aspect. The worst that happens if the resistance on my turbo gets to high is that I still pedaling. That's a bit different to getting thrown off the back of the treadmill.

And that's why there isn't a treadmill that can be controlled by another app on the market yet. Well ok no, there's the Tacx Magnum, but that is over $9k and designed for both cycling and running (as in, you can ride your bike on it). It should also be noted that Zwift just came out with a new training plan set up on Monday or Tuesday and there are three running plans. Unfortunately you can't, at the moment, do both a cycling and running plan at the same time. While that is a major oversight, it wouldn't be an issue for the OP.

But yeah - generally people using Zwift for running are doing so with either a running pod that broadcasts over bluetooth and/or ANT+ or a treadmill that has bluetooth. Basically it's like using Zwift with a dumb trainer. There's also video of Ray Maker doing one of the Zwift workouts on an outdoor run with his older daughter (in the running stroller).
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

And that's why there isn't a treadmill that can be controlled by another app on the market yet. Well ok no, there's the Tacx Magnum, but that is over $9k and designed for both cycling and running (as in, you can ride your bike on it). It should also be noted that Zwift just came out with a new training plan set up on Monday or Tuesday and there are three running plans. Unfortunately you can't, at the moment, do both a cycling and running plan at the same time. While that is a major oversight, it wouldn't be an issue for the OP.

But yeah - generally people using Zwift for running are doing so with either a running pod that broadcasts over bluetooth and/or ANT+ or a treadmill that has bluetooth. Basically it's like using Zwift with a dumb trainer. There's also video of Ray Maker doing one of the Zwift workouts on an outdoor run with his older daughter (in the running stroller).

I haven't downloaded the update yet, I have a PACK ride tomorrow afternoon so will need to make sure it's up to date.

The running capability is very limited, but I might take a look at the plans tomorrow night. They're of no use to me as they're all short distances, but it's going to be useful to see how they're grown.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Yeah I agree that it's limited but I don't think it's any more limited than any other platform. I could be wrong though given that I'm going off of other people's reviews. At the moment none of the running plans are of any use to me but that's because I just got cleared to start running from my PT and C25K is too quick of a ramp up given my limitations (the PT's office has it's own plan). I am trying out the shorter grand fondo plan because I need a four week structured indoor ramp up to the century that I'm doing in 4ish weeks, to augment my long outdoor rides.

The update is, thankfully, pretty small compared to some of the others.
  • Demusent10
    Demusent10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After my Heart Surgery in December I attended Cardiac Rehab and the use (MET's--http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf) and the Vo2 Max calculation to get a total calorie burn for your weight. [VO2 Max Calories burned=(((MET's*3.5*(Lbs./2.2))/1000*5.0*Minutes/3500)] or an easier formula [Calories burned = (METs * 3.5 * weight in kg) / 200) * duration in minutes]. I set them up in an Excel sheet and the calories appear to be closer to the truth. I have found that many of the excersize equipment I have used do not even come close to accurate calorie burn.

• aokoye
    Options
    Demusent10 wrote: »
    After my Heart Surgery in December I attended Cardiac Rehab and the use (MET's--http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf) and the Vo2 Max calculation to get a total calorie burn for your weight. [VO2 Max Calories burned=(((MET's*3.5*(Lbs./2.2))/1000*5.0*Minutes/3500)] or an easier formula [Calories burned = (METs * 3.5 * weight in kg) / 200) * duration in minutes]. I set them up in an Excel sheet and the calories appear to be closer to the truth. I have found that many of the excersize equipment I have used do not even come close to accurate calorie burn.
    I don't think anyone here was talking about how many or how few calories you can burn while running.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's summer and it is way better to get outside!

(I like the treadmill, too. I typically listen to a book on tape.)