Changing my life!

Options
Hi All,

Recently took a look at myself and decided i needed to make changes, so from about 3 months ago it was concentrate on stopping smoking which is now done. Next step over the past two weeks was changing my eating habits and got to say only early but massive change! Fruit in the morning, salad for dinner and white meat and veg for tea. Cut out fizzy drinks and only drinking water

Next step was back to the gym which i started on Monday! Not setting myself goals just yet or time for losing weight just need to stay motivated!

To add to the exercise i walk about two miles each way to work and back.

31 year old male, 5’11, roughly 252pounds,(weighing myself tonight at the gym) normally would eat rubbish food often and not do much exercise.

Anyone got any tips or advice for me?

Thanks,
Dean

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't make any changes you can't see yourself sticking happily to for the rest of your life.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YOU GOT THIS!, focus ,,,collect that willpower, and CONQUER!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh more than once a week as it will fluctuate daily.
    Measure yourself, when it seems like you haven't lost weight you might be building muscle and toning so this will show by inches lost.
    Be honest with your logging.
    Always remember this is a life style change, there will be good days and bad days - *kitten* happens - it's more about promoting long term good habits.
    Get some friends on here that will motivate and support you :smile:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

The weighing frequency is kind of a personal preference, some people benefit from seeing the fluctuations daily, it helps them better understand them and makes them less likely to freak out if from one week to the next the scale is up if your particular weigh in day happens to fall on a day when the scale is up rather than down.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Your diet sounds unnecessarily restrictive and likely deficient in protein and fats. Losing weight doesn't require such a drastic approach...
  • Jackie9003
    edited January 2018
    Options
    "Always remember this is a life style change, there will be good days and bad days - *kitten* happens - it's more about promoting long term good habits."

I can't believe it changed my minor swearword to kitten lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Since you have conquered smoking, reformed your diet and added exercise, I suggest reading a few inspirational books to help keep these gains.

I suggest Hadfield’s Astronauts Guide to Life
    http://chrishadfield.ca/books/

Coveys Seven Habits

and

Iconoclast by Gregory Burns
  • Jackie9003
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

The weighing frequency is kind of a personal preference, some people benefit from seeing the fluctuations daily, it helps them better understand them and makes them less likely to freak out if from one week to the next the scale is up if your particular weigh in day happens to fall on a day when the scale is up rather than down.

That's true but he asked for advice and when I started out and weighed daily it freaked me out as I didn't understand it and was getting demotivated and confused.
  • d34nxo
    d34nxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all the replies so far. I am new to this full change so i will take everything onboard.

Regarding my diet i made this change because I didn’t allways eat unhealthy it was just i ate less healthy so i am turning that around. Then once i am in routine i deffiantly want to be looking at what my body needs and eat accordingly.

Thanks,

Dean
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    d34nxo wrote: »
    Thank you all the replies so far. I am new to this full change so i will take everything onboard.

Regarding my diet i made this change because I didn’t allways eat unhealthy it was just i ate less healthy so i am turning that around. Then once i am in routine i deffiantly want to be looking at what my body needs and eat accordingly.

Thanks,

Dean

You body doesn't need what it needs right now? Your body needs sufficient protein and fat just to maintain itself, and to perform its functions... You know, muscles, hormones, hair growth, skin health, breathing, sex drive etc etc. You may feel fine now, but you will til you don't, and it may be difficult to turn it around if you get to that point.
  • d34nxo
    Options
    Ah ok, like i said new to this :)

Would a high protein breakfast help rather than the fruit? I am happy to take on any advice
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    d34nxo wrote: »
    Ah ok, like i said new to this :)

Would a high protein breakfast help rather than the fruit? I am happy to take on any advice

I would say yes, definitely. Protein tends to keep most people feeling satiated for a while, and paired with some vegies and fat (say, a vegie omelette) will give you a good start to providing your body with some macro/micros it needs. That said, its your overall calorie intake that matters, not specific meals. Do what works for you- most people just aim for at least protein and fat minimums then fill the rest of their calories how they like.
  • nettakiossis
    nettakiossis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im actually right behind you and reading what you did. Lol. I just joined a gym a few days ago, cut all sodas a couple months ago and quitting smoking on Monday. So u can see im right behind you. Lol.
    But sounds like you're on a great track. Congrats!
  • d34nxo
    Options
    Just weighed myself and i can say i must of been doing somethings a bit right, last weighing i did was 11 months ago and today i am 23lbs lighter and feeling very proud of myself :)
  • newmebp
    newmebp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job on your loss. 53 yo dad facing empty nest. Haven’t focused on my health in 20 years. That’s changing. Send me a request!