Question About a nutrition label??

Options
I bought this bag of "salted caramel popcorn" because I hadn't eaten all day and it was very low calorie and looked great. The nutrition label says that there are 130 calories in the whole bag, and all the rest of the nutrition facts are here too. BUT at the bottom of the bag I noticed afterwards that it say.. "due to the hand popped nature of this product ingredients and values can and will vary." Does this mean that the calories could have been inaccurate?? Or does anybody know what this statement means?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hannalunaa wrote: »
    I bought this bag of "salted caramel popcorn" because I hadn't eaten all day and it was very low calorie and looked great. The nutrition label says that there are 130 calories in the whole bag, and all the rest of the nutrition facts are here too. BUT at the bottom of the bag I noticed afterwards that it say.. "due to the hand popped nature of this product ingredients and values can and will vary." Does this mean that the calories could have been inaccurate?? Or does anybody know what this statement means?

all labels might in inaccurate... that's why people say weigh EVERYTHING. i figure most stuff will even out over time though!
  • pixiety
    pixiety Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this post is a few months old, but I just wanted to say that I spoke to this popcorn company on the phone because I was skeptical too. They told me it was a mistake, that the nutrition info is basically only for one cup, not three like the bag says. They are printing new labels that will reflect the accurate calories (which is 460. yikes!)
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Woo! That sucks. But after logging for a while you kind of getting a sense if some nutritional label are too good to be true
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Will mention again the superiority of system whereby everything is labelled per 100 g or 100ml not per serve.

Where that is not so, yes, read labels very carefully.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nutrition labels are not regulated. You are trusting that the company is being honest with the data. I once worked for a private label company, and they had to recall a style of cookie because the nutrition label was waaaaaaay off. Customers were mad because they wanted their low-cal cookies even though no such thing existed.

That said, there is going to always be a little variation in nutrition because it is generally calculated as an average. Also, companies are allowed to round down. Splenda isn’t zero calories. It has 4. Not a big deal unless you eat a ton of Splenda
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Variation and rounding in general shouldn't affect your diet too much. What I found most troubling is lots of cable clearly had the wrong info, some portion size listed is few times more than what the actual amount of food for calorie listed.
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hannalunaa wrote: »

all labels might in inaccurate... that's why people say weigh EVERYTHING. i figure most stuff will even out over time though!

The scales used by food packagers are far more accurate than kitchen scales, and are calibrated regularly. There are other variables that affect the calorie count, but that requires lab testing to find out and destroys the food in the process. I agree with you, it averages out over time. I go by labels when they are there and weigh everything that doesn't, or that I don't use a whole package of.