NEED recipes or grocery items idea

Options
wolfey24
wolfey24 Posts: 28 Member
I am going shopping on monday for my groceries and i would like to get new things and new ideas. I want to get almost all the junk outta the house and i have 2 toddlers in the house.. so i need some good ideas of things i can get and recipes for breakfast lunch or dinners. They are kind of picky but i would like them to be eating healthy as well! :smile:

Replies

• Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What I really like to do is you buy chicken breasts and in small plastic bag put half a cup of Parmesan and some lemon pepper and shake the chicken in the bag. Put the chicken on a glass pan with water and lemon juice and cook for twenty minutes at 350. and the left overs you can cut up and put in your salad.
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    I get red seedless grapes, navel oranges and/or apples and put them in the fridge. Not only do they last longer, but they make a great (and quick) snack. Something about eating them cold makes it feel more like dessert as well.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I get red seedless grapes, navel oranges and/or apples and put them in the fridge. Not only do they last longer, but they make a great (and quick) snack. Something about eating them cold makes it feel more like dessert as well.
    They taste delish frozen too, particularly in the Hot Summer heat!:love:
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Fresh local eggs (get them at a Co-op, natural food stores, or fruit and vegetable store). Once you taste really good fresh eggs from hens that are outside pecking around, you will NEVER go back to pale, gross battery cage (grocery store) eggs. Also, it's much more humane.

Almonds and other nuts. Buy them in bulk. They make wonderful snacks.

Lots of fruit. Keep a bowl stocked so the family can grab a peach or a mango anytime. Grapes are delicious right now, too.

I always like to have a couple recipes planned so I know what to buy. Since you are trying to start cooking healthy, I would definitely look over the message boards for some good recipes and then buy for those.
  • heathergettingfit
    Options
    Silk Almond Milk
    Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges - Lite Swiss is my favorite
    Wasa Hearty Crispbread - You can top these with anything--pbj, cheese, tuna salad
    Tuna - canned
    Chobani Greek Yogurt
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Tribe Original Hummus
    Pepperidge Farm Carb Style Wheat Bread - each slice has 8 carbs!
    Any and all veggies: cucumbers, squash, peppers, lettuce, maters, broccoli (eat from the rainbow)
    Berries!!!
    Small prune or solji plums - small, but sweet and flavorful (in season right now)
    Quinoa - I discovered this grain last month and love it.

I know most of the above sounds like "snack" but you can combine these things to make healthy, filling lunches.

One of my favorite recipes: :smile:
    Tex Mexican Casserole
    Casserole using organic beef, organic veggies, cornmeal/whole wheat crust, with a cilantro kick.

Cornmeal Topping:
    Hodgson Mill--Whole Grain & Wheat Flour - Cornbread and Muffin Mix, 1 cup dry
    Organic - Cage Free Large Brown Egg (Grade A), 1 Egg, beaten
    Wegmans - Canola Oil, 1 tbsp
    Whole Milk, 0.75 cup

Bottom layer of casserole:
    Organic Cream Corn, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Organic Diced Tomatoes, Can, No Salt Added, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Black Beans, 1 container (1.8 cups ea.)
    Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef, 93/7, 0.5 container (12 ounces cookeds ea.) - can use regular lean ground beef
    Cheddar Cheese (shredded), 2.5 ounce
    Ortega - 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix, 0.5 of envelope (3 tbsp)
    Onions - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
    Cilantro, Dried, 1.5 tsp

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9X13 baking dish with non-stick spray.

Brown ground beef. Add one tbs. of taco seasoning. Add onions and sweat for two minutes. Drain beef and onion.

In large bowl, combine meat mixture, corn, tomatoes, beans, cilantro, remaining two tablespoons of taco seasoning, and 2/3 of the shredded cheese. Pour into baking dish.

Mix cornmeal, oil, egg, and milk until just combine. Pour over top of bottom layer. Spread cornmeal without mixing into bottom layer.

Place in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees. In the last five minutes of cooking time spread remaining cheddar cheese over top of casserole.

Allow casserole to sit for 15 minutes after removing from oven before cutting into it.
  • justimogen
    Options