How often should you weigh in?

Hiya.
What is truly the best method in terms of weighing? Is it daily, weekly or even monthly? Or is it down to you personally to decide what’s best? I fluctuate so I’m stuck as to whether I should weigh daily to appreciate the fluctuations or should I go the complete opposite way and just do it once a month? x

Replies

• scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    I weigh every day at the same time. I use the digital scale and it shows down to the smallest amounts. I log it each day and calculate at the end of the week how much I've lost. It works for me but I do feel a bit obsessed!!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Your options,
    Everyday
    Every other day
    Every week
    Every other week
    Every month

Whatever you chose just be consistent for accuracy.
    I weigh daily but only record my new lower weight. I chose daily just to see normal weight fluctuations. I also take measurements bi-weekly which is way more accurate than my scale.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    I weigh everyday and track it with the Libra app.
  • SophiaJane81
    SophiaJane81 Posts: 40 Member
    I recently started measuring daily. It has helped me see the fluctuations and how my body works. Hormonally and with IBS my body can change very often when it comes to the scale. I used to weigh weekly but it messed with my head. I also take measurements every 2 weeks which is wayyyy more accurate. Sometimes I have weighed the same comparing weeks but my measurements are lower.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    whatever works best for you.

i step on my scale daily, but only log my weight weekly. usually friday morning.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Daily for me. More data is better IMHO as long as you don't have an overly emotional reaction to normal weight fluctuations.
    If you only weigh monthly and happen to hit a particularly high or low day you won't know your true trend until another month has gone by.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    There's no "best" way, it's just a matter of what you prefer. If daily fluctuations upset you, weigh once a week, or even less.
  • thisisitnic
    thisisitnic Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks everyone x
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I track it only once per week but sometimes I will weigh during the week just to see what it is. I don't dwell on weight though. I go more by how my clothing feels and how I look in the mirror.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    So far every day, once my weight starts to slow down on losing. I will do a weekly
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    ya i learned early on for me anyway best way to avoid any panic about fluctuatins was actually to weigh daily sometimes twice (once in mornings after peeing for sure and one before bed) I Also began weighing self after i chugged a litre of water or ate a meal at the begining. Was fun to me. Helped me guage my body and my eating habits and what was normal. I wake up 8 pounds lighter thn i sleep Its an abnormally high daily gain for most but if i didnt weigh myself how i did i would never know it was normal, And i dislike not knowing things. Leaves things open for surprises.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    ya i learned early on for me anyway best way to avoid any panic about fluctuatins was actually to weigh daily sometimes twice (once in mornings after peeing for sure and one before bed) I Also began weighing self after i chugged a litre of water or ate a meal at the begining. Was fun to me. Helped me guage my body and my eating habits and what was normal. I wake up 8 pounds lighter thn i sleep Its an abnormally high daily gain for most but if i didnt weigh myself how i did i would never know it was normal, And i dislike not knowing things. Leaves things open for surprises.

I agree with this 100%. Knowledge is power, Ignorance leads to surprises and giving up for the wrong reasons. In another thread people are claiming this is "what eating disorders are made of" LOL .. what a joke. Some people just dont want to understand whats actually happening to them. they prefer it left to the magic of the weight fairies.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    It is all personal preference
    Initially I did not weigh myself at all My clothes and shape told me enough. Then I started monthly until I hit my goal weight. Now as I am learning to maintain I need more info so I weigh weekly Daily would really not be good for me I'd worry myself sick about every fluctuation. Weekly is for mistake of mind at this stage best
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I agree with this 100%. Knowledge is power, Ignorance leads to surprises and giving up for the wrong reasons. In another thread people are claiming this is "what eating disorders are made of" LOL .. what a joke. Some people just dont want to understand whats actually happening to them. they prefer it left to the magic of the weight fairies.

Sadly i sense the people claiming that are the people then posting wondering how they gained 4 pounds after eating an admittedly large plate full of a vegetable based meal when they finally do weigh themselves after a meal lol.

I take pride in the 5 pound gain i get after eating 2 pounds of potatoes and a pound of mixed veg after work lol