Zumba

Options
I was thinking of purchasing some Zumba DVDs but have never tried the workout. Has anyone tried it and lost weight? How long did it take doing this workout to show results?

Replies

• boogieluv
    Options
    I have done rumba since feb 2011 , along with watching what I eat. I have lost 35 pounds so far :) I LOVE Zumba and it is the only work out I ever loved without feeling sooo much of a work out and just have fun ,,,
  • dragonz11
    Options
    i to would also like to know that :0) ive brought some just waiting on them to arrive
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My family bought me Zumba for Wii and I love it. Took me a while to learn the steps but it def burns some calories
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I cannot comment on how long it takes to show results (I don't approach working out that scientifically), all I can say is that Zumba is an incredibly fun way to work up a sweat. It is definitely a great workout so it will help with losing weight and getting fitter.
    I cannot wait for my class to start in October. I did a Zumba class last fall but have since moved and there haven't been any classes offered until now.
    I don't have the DVDs but I would suggest trying out a class if you have the opportunity to, I imagine it's more fun to do it in a class than by yourself at home.
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about a month, it was a lot of fun and I still do it for cardio. Unfortunately I did not loose a pound.
  • change_happens
    Options
    My sis has been doing them for a week or so.... (i think), and she has seen great changes. I tried it, but it just took too long to get the steps down. I felt like it was more low impact aerobics since I didn't know what I was doing.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of purchasing some Zumba DVDs but have never tried the workout. Has anyone tried it and lost weight? How long did it take doing this workout to show results?

Why don't you do some for free from youtube and see how you like it before buying the dvds? I did Zumba a lot this summer and have lost about 10 pounds. Here are some I do:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL838CCE3FAEFEEBA7
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    I just started it Thursday with the basic DVD and I love it so far. You will do about 15 minutes of the basic steps and not feel like you are doing anything, but after the next 30, you will start to sweat and feel it. I worked on the basics the first 2 days and then today did 20 minutes of the basic steps then the 4, 5 minute full time moving workouts. I made it through all of it and it gave me a workout but was very doable. I don't have all the moves down yet, but I did my best!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    @change_happens - it takes a little bit of time to get the steps down...but once you do, it turns into some high intensity for you, if you want it to!!

Everyone comes into Zumba at their own level of fitness and you modify what you have a hard time "catching" until you do!

It's really not about dancing or knowing how to dance but feeling the music and having fun!!

I teach it and so I will highly recommend it!

Some lose weight but in conjunction with a diet, you will do better. But the Inches you lose counts more!!!! Feel how your clothes fit, that is the best telltale sign that something is working for you!!
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well just think about it... you'll be moving around and burning calories. Personally, I find that I dance with Zumba longer than if I were to just pop in a dvd or hit the treadmill. Since I'm burning more calories, I'm losing weight. I do watch what I eat as well, but without moving my body, my muscles would just deteriorate.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do some for free from youtube and see how you like it before buying the dvds? I did Zumba a lot this summer and have lost about 10 pounds. Here are some I do:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL838CCE3FAEFEEBA7

I never would have thought of that. Good idea. I am going to check those out.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Remember..what you see on Youtube is a bit different then the DVD's you'll purchase...but it will give you a great head start!!!!
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have had my Zumba DVD set since May and I love it. And yes, along with paying attention to waht I am eating and logging my foods, I have lost weight. I have several different workout tapes/DVDs that I have accumulated over the years and although I occasionally like to do one of those for a change, I prefer Zumba by far. I also have the Wii Zumba, whivh I do on occasion as well as the DVD. I like the DVD set as they include great instruction for the steps. I am no dancer by any means but they make it easier.
  • iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Remember..what you see on Youtube is a bit different then the DVD's you'll purchase...but it will give you a great head start!!!!

What is the difference?
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have done zumba four times a week for about 2 1/2 weeks now.. I've lost around 8 lbs. Just keep in mind that personal effort is a big factor.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I definitely agree. Going to a class is much more intense and fun; especially if you have a high energy instructor. I am glad that I had done some at home/online before I went to the class I go to at the Y because I wouldn't have been able to keep up!