Coconut water!!!

Options
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How in the HELL do you guys drink this stuff? I have heard lots of good things about it so I bought a Vita Coco at Central Market yesterday. It tastes like drinking water through a sweaty gym sock!!!! YUCK!!! That is all.........

Replies

• amygibson82
    amygibson82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree! Its disgusting! I'll stick to my regular water with lemon :wink:
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think the salty taste is the electrolytes and potassium... Gatorade has the same taste although they added corn syrup and citric acid to try to cover it up.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this, I was thinking of trying it!
  • iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's pretty good. Just don't smell it : )
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I actually really love coconut water. :laugh: But it was an acquired taste! I hated it the first 2-3 times I tried it, but kept trying it (different brands, different flavors) until I got used to the taste. For me, the health benefits make me drink it down. I wouldn't drink it on flavor alone, but I do because it's so healthy.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A vegan friend of mine says she drinks Coconut Milk...and just LOVES the stuff!
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    drink it from an actual coconut.. it tastes different.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it! Perfect balance of electrolytes. Also...if it tastes like that...check the experation date. It should taste like coconut, lol.
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    So glad you posted this. I thought it was just me :)

I have a case of the flavoured Zico you can buy at Costco sitting my fridge right now and I hate it. LOL! My friend suggested I mix it with water about 1/2 and 1/2 and I drink that after a workout but it's still pretty yucky.

I also tried So Delicious vanilla coconut milk that I have heard Jillian raving about and I can't stand whatever they are using to sweeten it. Yuck.

I find they are both best used when you make your own protein shakes.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I can't really stand coconut, but coconut water is nice. I skeptically tried some once, drunk directly from a young coconut, in Hawaii, and it was delicious (not to mention the electrolytes were exactly what I needed after a 6 hour hike). As always, check the labels. Most of the canned stuff contains a bunch of garbage in addition to the actual coconut water....
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I agree the unflavored stuff doesn't taste good, but the flavored stuff I can drink. The only time I ever drink it is when I'm doing a long workout anyways and the benefits of it are just what I need to keep going.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    VitaOne coconut water
    -pineapple
    -mango
    -guava
    are very good. I only drink the flavored.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i didn't like it either...so glad i'm not the only one!
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I've had coconuts growing in my backyard all my life (coincidentally, everywhere I've lived, lol) and I've always had the water directly from them. I also love scraping the white part and eating it :) I don't know how canned coconut water tastes but it might not be the same as from a real coconut.

Maybe try some from the fresh fruit and see if you still don't like it? Oh and eat the white part too, it's delicious! I know not everyone has access to fresh coconuts to do have them all the time, but it's worth a try so that at least you don't live the rest of your life associating them to sweaty gym socks. Ew! lol
  • becka9266
    becka9266 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    See even with protein shakes I find coconut water makes it runny and ...sticky. Like cloying, I guess. Not sure the adjective. But it's gross.