Thai food

Options
Hey everyone! I’m going to a Thai restaurant tonight and I’ve never been to one before. Any recommendations? What’s your favorite!

Replies

• Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I first tried Thai food (I'm picky), they had me try peanut curry, which I really enjoyed. Then I tried yellow curry and pad thai, which I now love. When I'm sick, I want yellow curry, not chicken noodle soup :P
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    they offer spicy heat levels 1-5....
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The only Thai food I've enjoyed is Tom Yum soup.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Depends what you like to eat

Our kids who are still young absolutely devour Pad See Ew (Soy Sauce Rice noodles) - they have chicken in it
    Pad Thai is a simple classic though you can get more authentic versions that are a bit more sour
    Basil Chicken/shrimp/tofu is a favourite - especially if use thai basil (pronounced anise flavour)
    Cannot go wrong with a simple green curry - with whatever protein - typically hotter than a red curry

Spice level can vary...you do have to get to know the restaurant....
  • shannonprovenzano2812
    shannonprovenzano2812 Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Depends what you like to eat

Our kids who are still young absolutely devour Pad See Ew (Soy Sauce Rice noodles) - they have chicken in it
    Pad Thai is a simple classic though you can get more authentic versions that are a bit more sour
    Basil Chicken/shrimp/tofu is a favourite - especially if use thai basil (pronounced anise flavour)
    Cannot go wrong with a simple green curry - with whatever protein - typically hotter than a red curry

Spice level can vary...you do have to get to know the restaurant....

Thanks! I'm really stressing over this menu as i'm a bit picky! I looked up the Pad See Ew and it looks like i'd enjoy it. The place i'm going to offers this with chicken, pork, or beef! This might be the route I take :D

Also - I looked up the nutrition and it seems to be healthier than the "safe" option I was going with. They had chicken fried rice on the menu, but the calories in that are substantially higher. I'm excited for dinner now.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Thai food is divine! So many choices I could probably eat it daily. Plus, it is mostly gluten-free so that fits my diet perfectly!

My favorites are Tom Yum soup or Tom Kha soup (similar but with coconut milk), Chicken Pad Thai and Pumpkin Curry. I'm currently obsessed with pumpkin curry. If you are looking for something very low calorie, then Tom Yum Soup would fit the bill. It's only about 170 calories per cup even with seafood or chicken.

Enjoy!
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Drunken noodles or chicken pad Thai
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Pad Ki Mao (drunken noodle) is one of my favorites because I love bell peppers, and Pork Pad Thai is a classic (noodles in a savory peanut sauce with bean sprouts and egg, I ask for mine a little bit spicy) but Thai curries are really yummy, too! And they don't necessarily have to be hot - Musaman is my favorite (potatoes, carrots, peanuts). Enjoy!!
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a Thai place, and people really loved the Green Papaya Salad, too. It's shredded, with carrots and a light dressing.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Thai food.

I'm an eternal fan of green curry - lots of veg, spicy, and I get it with either tofu or shrimp as protein. Cucumber salad is also delicious, fresh and spicy. Tom Ka soup is delicious, but can be sneakily HOT.

My advice? Be adventurous! And order something that's loaded with veggies!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pad kee mao (drunken noodles) is my favorite. Pad Thai is a good choice if you’ve never had Thai food and don’t like spicy. This post has me desperately wanting to go back to Thailand.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yum, love Thai food! Holy basil chicken is one of my favorites.
  • ZiggyRS0307
    ZiggyRS0307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wanna know what you had! Was gonna suggest Pad Thai, it’s probably my favourite Asian dish (and I’m obsessed with Asian food)