BodyPod Test?

Options
Has anyone had one done?
I just read it on another post and was curious so had a google and found they do them not too far from me and only cost £50.

is the info I would get worth the money? it says this in the FAQ "What measurements do you take?
Height, weight and body volume are measured. Giving fat mass, lean mass, fat percentage, estimate of energy expenditure"

I was thinking of having one now and then again in a years time as a progress follow up sort of thing

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've had it done twice, but years ago. I'm not sure what information you're looking for. All I remember is you get in the thing, then after they give you a printout with your body fat, lean mass, etc. on it.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I like figures, reports etc see where I was and where iv got to I guess.

Also seeing just how bad things are right now might help motivated me to get going again
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've had one. It was within 1% of my DEXA. I just would take the energy expenditure with a grain of salt. It's not very accurate. Mine was off by almost 400 calories.
  • chanr427
    chanr427 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had one done in 2016. I thought the info it gave was worth the money (then again, I was given a discount since I was a student), as it gave me an idea of where I was at in my weight loss.

I also had thoracic gas volume measured, though it doesn't affect BF% at all, as far as I remember.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the BodPod is considered one of the least accurate and reliable methods of body fat measurement. Hydro and DXA are considered better but no method is perfect.

See:https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-3-bod-pod/
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’ve seen a bodpod give a guy like 2% - and yeah he was lean, but not THAT lean. I’m not really sure what 2% looks like but this guy looked a lot like the guys that were 7-10
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all replies x
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I had a series of four BodPod scans at six monthly intervals (in London).
    First three were believable, fourth was obviously inaccurate. Gave up at that point.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yeah I’ve seen a bodpod give a guy like 2% - and yeah he was lean, but not THAT lean. I’m not really sure what 2% looks like but this guy looked a lot like the guys that were 7-10

5% is "essential" fat level for men.

At 2%, he'd probably be dead (or near death) from starvation and/or the shut down of all major body functions - most notably the brain, which is composed of about 60% fat, due to the reduction of "essential fatty acids" which are "essential" for the brain to function properly.

So, I'd expect someone w/only 2% BF to look like a holacaust victim.