Quick 1 minute oats

Options
aganey
aganey Posts: 501 Member
So I’ve realized that if I cook them in milk, I absolutely LOVE them. If I cook them in water, I absolutely hate them. Even with adding the same additions of 1 tsp granulated honey, 1 tsp light brown sugar and 1/4 cup of blueberries. I was trying water to save on some calories, but never mind! I will make room for my milk calories in my oatmeal thank you!

How does everyone else eat their oatmeal? Just curious if your way may sound appealing too.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with 50/50 water and whole milk, a little salt, and a ts of butter on top.
  • aganey
    Options
    I use whole milk as well. I never thought to go half water and half milk. I will try that tomorrow! Maybe I’ll still get the creaminess I’m wanting while still saving some calories! Thanks for the reply!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    2 ways: No 1 (for winter) - 30g porridge oats, 70ml skimmed milk made up to 120 ml with water - microwave for 2 mins and add 1tsp golden syrup, stir then add frozen mixed berries.
    No 2 (for summer) - 30g porridge oats, 100ml natural greek yoghurt stir in fruit (I like strawberries best but others will do) stir and leave in fridge overnight.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Cook mine in almond milk and a little cinnamon. When done I add flax seed, slivered almonds, nsa syrup and a little more milk if it is too thick.
  • jayjayb00
    jayjayb00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get myself to enjoy oatmeal better. I like the idea that @kommodevaran had by making it salty similar to grits. I'll have to try it!

I enjoy mine with frozen blueberries in the summer and in the winter, I enjoy banana slices and strawberrys with some brown sugar or agave.

I boil mine with half almond milk and half water.
  • meldjk44
    meldjk44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    they sell an oatmeal at the smiths grocery store in my town and its called Oats & fiber it comes in like a black box, they have 2 flavors cinnamon roll and maple brown, they are 100 calories for the packed. I throw them in a mason jar with a handful of blueberries and water. it is SUPER yummy! no milk needed.
  • aganey
    Options
    @motivatedmartha the yogurt sounds good! Is that an overnight oat recipe? I’ve never tried the overnight oats thing. I love yogurt and fruit.

Qq@jelaan the cinnamon sounds good too!
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My recent favorite is baked oatmeal with nutmeg, cinnamon, and pecans.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    @aganey - yep - lots of recipes for it online. Comes out like a cross between fruit mousse and fruit fool :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't like the minute oats no matter how I cook them, just can't get used to the texture. I make old fashioned rolled oats in water with peanut butter and either blueberries or a banana. And I add a little milk if they come out too dry.

Sometimes I'll cook them with a fair amount of salt and put a fried egg on top.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm picky about the texture of my oats, and prefer steel cut (and I haven't enjoyed the instant steel cut I've tried as much, so no fast oats for me).

I like it cooked in water and then a little milk (or plant milk) mixed in before consuming.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I always use milk in my oatmeal. I ran out of milk one time and figured whatever I'll just use water. Not the same at all. I usually have cinnamon and brown sugar in my oatmeal with chopped fresh apple chunks mixed in. If I'm adding blueberries, I like mixing in a spoonful of Greek vanilla yogurt. Tasty and filling!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Don't like the mushy texture of rolled instant or cold fashioned oats.

Only steel cut cooked in water for me. I just add some honey, fruit and/or nuts b4 eating. Plain and simple.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    30g thick rolled oats, microwaved with 1/2C water
    100g mixed berries (frozen, thawed)
    1/2 t Ceylon cinnamon
    10g hemp seed
    12g milled flax seed
    14g walnuts
    20g blackstrap molasses
    112g nonfat plain Greek yogurt

On the side, glass of cold matcha with lemon or lime wedge, coffee with hot skim milk.

Every. Single. Day.

If not for breakfast, then for lunch. ;)
  • aganey
    Options
    There are some great ideas on here that I’m going to try. Thanks everyone for replying. I am eating oatmeal for breakfast everyday and I don’t want to get bored with it. You’ve all given me yummy options!
  • mbminx
    mbminx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook oats is a recipe called "Butterscotch Oatmeal" (it's all over the place online). In addition to cooking the oats (old-fashioned, please) in milk, you add a beaten egg to the mix before turning on the heat. I've always used only half the sugar.

By starting the oats in cold liquid and then cooking them, they come out much more creamy.

It's not the lowest fat breakfast out there, but it is one that can stick with me for hours.

And if it's not that, overnight oats with almond milk, banana and Greek yogurt are the bomb!
  • kellmorris48
    kellmorris48 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make mine half and half and cook slowly in the microwave. Usually no sugar but sometimes I add a small spoon of dark brown sugar. Add a banana or a few sultanas or blueberries to add sweetness. If you really need sweet, use a low calorie sweetener
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I like the old fashioned rolled oats. I don't like instant, quick cooking or steel cut. I cook it in water with raisins, a dash of salt and cinnamon. I add a splash of vanilla, and sometimes brown sugar if the raisins didn't sweeten it enough.
  • jen3frg22
    jen3frg22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1 serving of oats, 1/2 a frozen banana, 1/2 c frozen fruit, 1 c vanilla almond or soymilk, cinnamon, clove, and turmeric to taste (occasionally throw in a few raisins). Heat it in the micro for about 4-5 mins. Best, most filling breakfast. Especially love it on a cold morning!
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I used to only take my oats with milk, and honestly would still prefer them that way probably. But I cut out milk a year or so ago, and once I got used to just simply not having milk generally, it was no big deal to make my oats with water. I also take my oats with just a tiny bit of sugar or brown sugar. Yum!