Mashed Califlower Recipe?

Options
anewell28
anewell28 Posts: 79 Member
Looking into making mashed califlower and looked at a handful of recipes. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I roast mine first..add garlic a little cream cheese and some parmesan and blitz it with an immersion blender.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I’ve been waiting for the air fryer I ordered to arrive to try these cauliflower tater tots. Of course, you could just fry them too. They look good though, don’t they. https://www.meredithlaurence.com/recipes/cauliflower-tater-tots/
  • anewell28
    Options
    Thanks guys! Good tips!
    Do you know if you could meal prep a batch of this and freeze it to eat later? Thanks!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Bake it, smash it, add bacon, cheese, scallions, and butter and bake it again. It's like a twice baked potato, only better!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I do a half and half mix- half potato half cauliflower because I loathe the taste of cauliflower. But half and half still tastes like potatoes. I boil both the veggies and then mix them in the mixer like normal potatoes.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I usually add garlic, cream cheese, and often a handful of pepper jack or cheddar. A splash of milk or chicken broth if I use an immersion blender and want a creamier texture. I agree, it does not taste like mashed potatoes, but still good in its own right.

Another option is to mash half potato and half cauliflower. The cauliflower bulks it up and reduces the calorie content, and the potatoes give you more of the creamy, starchy character of regular mashed potatoes. (I make pureed cauliflower soup with the same principal - throwing in a few chunks of potato keeps it nice and creamy without adding a ton of milk or cream.)
  • TuffDadSF
    TuffDadSF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've given up trying to make it myself. It never tastes good.

I bought this for a side dish to dinner last night: https://www.greengiant.com/products/detail/green-giant-cheddar-bacon-mashed-cauliflower/

OMG! So delicious. I mean, I could eat it everyday. You won't be disappointed.
  • Back_2_Fit
    Back_2_Fit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually HATE the taste of cauliflower - but we did this for New Years Eve dinner because my husband knew I was trying to lay off the carbs...

Boiled it, threw it in a food processor with butter, milk, salt, pepper and sour cream and processed it all together until it was smooth. We made it the way we make mashed potatoes and added ingredients to taste so there really isn't a "recipe".

It will never be as smooth as potatoes are, it's still grainy but the taste is pretty decent and great alternative to a potato.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I nuke it with garlic until soft, add reduced fat sour cream, salt and pepper and use an immersion blender to get to the desired consistency.

Mashed turnips are also really good and low carb/calorie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's often cheaper to use the microwave frozen veggies for that. Once it's cooked, I just use my hand blender and add a bit of cream cheese or some laughing cow and some seasoning.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I just do the basic paprika, chilli powder and grated cheese.
    I use to use "old bay" spice which was the best but sometime hard to find that.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I roast the cauliflower in the oven with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then I puree it. The roasting brings out the sweetness of the vegetable.
  • anewell28
    Options
    Awesome ideas! I was also thinking I could add low fat cottage cheese to possibly make it creamy? I have never used cottage cheese before though.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Roasted is best but nuking it works well in a pinch.

I like mine half-and-half with sweet potato, it comes out beautifully golden. I add garlic and about half an onion sautéed in butter, plus some milk.

If you try using cottage cheese I would blend the cheese first to make it smooth.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I used a bag of frozen cauliflower and 1 small diced potato (approx 80gr), steamed and then mashed with 1 tsp butter, 60gr sharp or smoked cheddar/gouda, 30gr fresh grated parmesan, salt & pepper to taste. It comes out super creamy and incredibly delish,
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I either steam a fresh cauliflower or frozen florets. When it is soft, I put it in the food processor with salt, pepper, butter, cheese (see below), and maybe garlic - roasted or powder- and/or parsley, and process until it is very smooth. I don't add liquid because the cauliflower is already thinner than potatoes, and it won't soak up the liquid like potatoes do. It comes out silky smooth and delicious. If I use a mixer to make it, it never gets smooth.

I almost always add cheese because I love cheese, but it isn't required. A wedge of Laughing Cow is best. A good sprinkle of parmesan. Some blue cheese. I use one or all of these cheeses.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Here's another take on cauliflower that my husband and I LOVE... cauliflower hummus! Great for dipping veggies in! https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/low-carb-cauliflower-hummus-recipe/
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is good in its own right, but the people who say they can't tell it's not mashed potatoes are either lying or they don't actually know how to make mashed potatoes.

Here's how I make it:

- boil one head of cauliflower (leaves trimmed and cut into florets) until fork tender
    - Strain well
    - Blend in food processor (while cauliflower is still hot) with 4oz cream cheese and 1/4 cup of fresh grated Parmesan

I don't add any extra liquid to it