has it helped your depression?

Options
Those of you who have been diagnosed with a form of depression or anxiety but have avoided medication - have your healthy choices affected your moods in a positive or a negative way?

I know many studies have shown that improved diet and exercise help, but even though I'm very satisfied with my overall health nowadays, I sometimes still struggle with the moods. Of course, I know there's no "cure all" aside from (possibly?) the right cocktail of drugs, but barring that, what have your results been?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes, over time. I was quite bad when I started out running, and am definitely better now. On the other hand I am more irritable now. I get really narky when I feel like I want to exercise and can't, and I get far worse PMT now! I think that's the reduction in carbs. Carbs help pre-menstrual symptoms.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes. Diet and exercies (quiet time without kids, dog or husband) helps some over time. Being successful losing weight helps some. But there are certainly times that are just as bad - but they are fewer and farer between.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that as I eat more fresh foods, veggies and fruits, versus processed foods that MY depression seems to get much better. Quiet time while out walking/running also seems to help. Just me, Mother Nature and peace and quiet...nothing like it. I just wish I could "bottle" the peace and quiet for those times when things seem hectic. LOL
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I went through what was a deep depression, for me, when I turned 60.
    Exercise and eating better has helped. Purposely not dwelling on the stuff that was getting me down probably more so. Weight loss is slow, but puts a little shine on the day when I lose. Knowing I'll retire soon gives me something to look forward to.
  • amaflo
    amaflo Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

I'm glad to see that it eventually became more manageable for everyone as you continued the healthy lifestyle. I'm really looking forward to that change myself.