Not sure what to do now...

Options
I just reached the top of a healthy BMI (have lost 40 pounds so far). I still carry a lot of fat (30-35%), and so I barely have any muscle. I look decent with clothes, but without, I feel squishy and weak.

Should I start recomping or still eat at a deficit? I’m just so used to losing weight I’m not even sure what I should be doing now.

My end goal is to significantly grow my glutes, and have a more muscular/firm body. I don’t really care about the number on the scale. I just want all this fat gone and as quickly as possible :(

Any advice is appreciated

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Are you currently doing any strength training? I'f not, start.

If you're happy with how you look clothed, you could start recomp now, just be aware that it is slooooow. The other option is to carry on at a deficit for a bit longer (with strength training!), to get your body fat % down a bit further before recomp.

If you decide to recomp now, you can always go back to a deficit later.

To grow significant muscle, you're probably going to have to do bulk/cut cycles, in which case I would definitely say get your body fat % a bit lower first.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Right now I’m eating around 1200/day (which is a about a 400 calorie deficit). I do body weight exercise currently but want to start lifting more.

What size deficit should I aim for?
  • brittneyalley
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I will start eating more. I’ve been so used to eating 1200 that I guess part of me was afraid to eat more.

I will probably have to use dumbbells to start. Thank you for that recommendation!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline, you are so right.

Barbell is not needed.
    There is a big emphasis on lift heavy, and to be honest if you want those incredible results. that is what one needs to do. But, for someone who just wants to improve their general capabilities, there is any number of options. Heck, aqua fit was enough for me to improve my fitness level and strength.
    Admitily, I do work with a bar, now, but it took 6 years to get to that, and I am working on slow sustainable increases for bone and muscle retention as I age.

@brittneyalley I started at the top of my BMI with a similar fat %. A reasonable deficit and strength training, not necessarily barbell, will get you there.

It takes time, lots of it, but so worth it.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    <3 CONGRATULATIONS <3

Well, put the heavy lifting on hold and continue with what you have been doing.

Though there is nothing wrong with lifting heavy while pregnant if one is already doing it, I don't think it would be good to start mow.

Eat at maintenance and talk to your med team about when to increase cals, and expected weight gain.

Cheers, h.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Wow, well I just found out I’m pregnant. I guess losing weight will be put on hold now!

First of all congrats.

But if your doctor is ok with things, you might be able to actually lose weight during your pregnancy. My wife lost weight on her last pregnancy with full support from her doctor. She wasn't much overweight, but all her cravings were fruits and non calorie dense foods.

But just ask... as @middlehaitch points out certain things will probably be advised against by your doctor and/or common sense.
  • brittneyalley
    Options
    Thank you! I will be sure to ask! :smiley: