I use spaghetti squash for my noodles:
Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Cut squash across the center and spoon out middle
3) put squash in oven for 60 minutes
4) make cheesy sauce by mixing nutritional yeast with enough water so that it’s a sauce consistency
5) After Squash is cooked, mix the sauce in
Other optional add-ins:
1/2 cup blanched mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped tomato
Lettuce to use as a taco/wrap

Replies

• paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast?
    I have instant yeast, brewers yeast, and distillers yeast on hand but didn't know anything about nutritional yeast. This Frontier Co-op stuff looks like the most economical offer I see online. Bob's Red Mill sells it too for a little more but I know that brand better.

Where do you get it from and what suggestions would you offer to someone new to the product? I have this cheese powder as an emergency supply and occasional scratch for the childhood Kraft mac n cheese itch. Any thought on how nutritional yeast would compare to it? Trying to learn more about vegan options without fully committing to it.

By the way, my sack of sun-dried tomatoes is almost empty so I ordered another 3 lb. bag earlier today.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Nutritional Yeast?
    I have instant yeast, brewers yeast, and distillers yeast on hand but didn't know anything about nutritional yeast. This Frontier Co-op stuff looks like the most economical offer I see online. Bob's Red Mill sells it too for a little more but I know that brand better.

Where do you get it from and what suggestions would you offer to someone new to the product? I have this cheese powder as an emergency supply and occasional scratch for the childhood Kraft mac n cheese itch. Any thought on how nutritional yeast would compare to it? Trying to learn more about vegan options without fully committing to it.

By the way, my sack of sun-dried tomatoes is almost empty so I ordered another 3 lb. bag earlier today.

Oh my gosh with the dried tomatoes you can make this amazing BBQ sauce that’s also vegan. Soak 1 cup of sun dried tomatoes and soak 3-4 Medjool Dates, then blend them up with some of the water and add in some chipotle powder and other seasonings/herbs you might like while blending. So good!
    And I buy nutritional yeast in bulk, but you can buy Bragg’s Nutritional yeast in many places like Safeway, food co-ops, etc etc. Nooch doesn’t need a lot of water compared to cheese powder, and I think the nooch taste much better. More cheesy, even! Unfortunately, I use heaping spoonfuls of nooch and it is very calorically dense. I can easily consume 300 calories worth of it when making my sauce. Also, don’t be alarmed when your pee turns neon yellow.