Going Vegan2018

Options
Thoughts and opinions on going vegan? Plus anyone have any good recipes?

Replies

• marlenaferguson
    marlenaferguson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been vegan two years now (three in May) and loving it. My first tip is KEEP GOING. It took about two-three months until I no longer felt like I was struggling- now even the thought of cheese makes me nauseous! But that took pushing through in the beginning- I would hold the mental image of why I went vegan in my head, and I tried to make vegan alternatives of everything I felt I was missing.
    TBH, I don't really do many meat or dairy alternatives anymore, unless I'm trying to impress an omnivore with my cooking. The one thing I felt I would die without was pizza, but pizza express makes a fantastic vegan pizza- they now offer vegan cheese on top, but originally it was just marinated artichokes instead of mozzarella (if you're making them at home, rinse the oil off for a big change in macros).
    If you're into working out or are worried about your protein levels, and you don't want a *kitten* ton of beans every day, get some pea or hemp protein and add it to your favorite dairy free milk (I love rice dream, and also good hemp, but the husband, who is omni, adores hazelnut milk more than cows- just goes to show tastes differ!)- the pulsin ones are super cheap, but taste like absolutely nothing, so either add cocoa powder, peanut butter or maple syrup for a bit of taste. Missfits do little protein sachets you can take to the gym with you, which is handy but not cheap. Neither is Vega, but it's amazing.

Food wise, find something you love that's naturally vegan- when the husband did January, it was pasta. For me, it's broccoli and tofu in Soy sauce. So long as I can have that regularly, I never feel deprived of anything.

Honestly, I never feel deprived in general. I'm kind of horrified it was ever a struggle. I can't imagine breaking vegan anymore, but that came with a lot of time, so be gentle with yourself if you don't feel that way in the beginning. The hardest part for me now is people who don't understand- talking about it actually becomes a lot harder than doing it.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    BunniToth wrote: »
    Thoughts and opinions on going vegan?...
    I was tempted on philosophical grounds but for nutritional reasons only eliminated processed meats and most cheeses.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and opinions on going vegan? Plus anyone have any good recipes?

Do your research, on all fronts.
  • katelynnmk1010
    katelynnmk1010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan- but I’ve been trying to do more meatless meals, I’ve found 2 vegan recipes that are sooooo tasty! Even my boyfriend likes them
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, do your research because it's good to be well informed and even better if you're ever asked why this lifestyle is important to you, when you look up recipes add 'vegan' to it and literally hundreds will pop up. I think it's a lot easier now days to be vegan than it was back then.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is amazing for vegan recipes.
    Vegan is easy as long as you’re prepared and always have food at hand so you don’t grab something you really don’t want to eat.
    Once you start looking on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and you tube, you’ll have more recipes than you can poke a stick at!!
    Look up Bosh... you’ll lose your mind. Amazing recipes
  • perriboni
    perriboni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is Vegan Bacon recipe made with rice paper(cut with scissors during prep). Pinterest has a lot of vegan and vegetarian recipes, both can be altered. Pins show that other people have tried the recipe and they give info of their adjustments and reviews. http://www.theedgyveg.com/2016/05/30/vegan-bacon-make-vegan-bacon-using-rice-paper/

Also, Vegan Society activism, by their founder, started in the UK as non-dairy vegetarians, then became no cruelty, exploitation of animals including for use of clothing, food, etc...and became active in using and consuming non-animal product alternatives.

Even though there are non-animal materials and food products as alternatives, they can be harmful to you or your pet, such as PVC used for pleather(plastic leather) producing raincoats for people and pets. PVC is highly carcinogenic (cancer causing).

Morningstar Farms produces vegetarian frozen products that are manufactured with very unhealthy, processed additives known to cause health problems.

Daiya vegan cheese was bought out by a Big Japanese Pharma company that tests on animals. For me, I stopped buying and consuming their products bcuz I’m against testing on animals.

And if you are an experienced vegan activist, meaning that you are knowledgeable about controversial vegan differences, you will form strong opinions, for example, some vegans are against the new lab-grown meat made from animal cells. Or, against PETA bcuz of their own compromising ideals, such as, euthanizing literally thousands and thousands of perfectly adoptable pets bcuz they think it’s better that they are protecting them by euthanizing them. Some animal rights activists won’t support animal rights organizations bcuz they use the money for other purposes that differ from their publicity or animal rights rationales, such as the WWF, or the HSUS.

There are many animal rights petition GROUPS(not referring to individual petitions) that are fake and actually work against animal rights.

If you have FB, there’s many vegan FB groups where you can become more informed and find great recipes.

I hope this is helpful for you.
  • BunniToth
    BunniToth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I was tempted on philosophical grounds but for nutritional reasons only eliminated processed meats and most cheeses.

Yeah I'm eliminating dairy products for certain...but I think I am going to still eat seafood...
  • BunniToth
    Options
    Some people need time to transition from one style of eating to another. I'm one of those all-or-nothing people. I literally went from a cheese-bacon-fried chicken loving person one day to complete vegan the next. I started out doing it for Lent and a way to kind of cleanse my body.

TOO MUCH INFORMATION ALERT!

I had my gall bladder removed 18 years ago. For the first 11 solid years, I had to drink nasty powdered medicine mixed in water to "bind" me because my gall bladder stem wouldn't make bile. I suffered from horrible ongoing stomach cramps and if I didn't take my medicine each morning by 10 am, I would have to run to the bathroom once every couple hours. I suffered from constant diarrhea. By the 10th year of taking the medicine, it was losing its effectiveness and I had to add on a second medication. This time, it was a pill I had to take 20 minutes before eating ANYTHING. What a pain. And it gave me cotton-mouth.

I "went vegan" on February 22, 2012. By March 1st, I wasn't having any stomach cramps or diarrhea. I stopped taking the pills before eating. I felt wonderful! By the end of March, I stopped the powdered medicine and told my doctor. I don't know who was more ecstatic - him or me! Changing my diet has been a Godsend and I feel WONDERFUL.

During the whole time, I was learning more and more about the ethical side of veganism. The more I learned, the more steadfast I became in my decision. It's not a matter of "I CAN'T eat that", but instead "I WON'T eat that". Between my health and the animals, I will never go back to eating animal products. It's crazy how time flies - sometimes I can't believe almost 6 years have passed...yet I still remember what cheese and bacon and fried chicken taste like. BUT, I don't miss it!

I knew immediately that this way of life was best for me and I have not had any regrets. You are going to feel so good! Here are a bunch of my favorite recipes that are in my ongoing rotation:

COWBOY CAVIAR

1 can black beans, drained
    1 can white corn, drained
    2 avocados, diced
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, diced
    Mix together and stir in the vinaigrette:
    ¼ cup roasted garlic avocado oil (Olive Cart sells it, otherwise use EVOO)
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

RATATOUILLE HOAGIE

Dice & saute up in a tablespoon of olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted.

VERY VEGGIE “SPAGHETTI”

1 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)

Saute onion, zucchini, carrots and garlic in oil. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.
    Using a julienne peeler, make a huge mound of raw carrot or zucchini "pasta"...then top it with very veggie sauce.

VEGAN MAYO

1 container silken tofu, drained
    3 T white vinegar
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp salt
    6 T neutral tasting oil (I use canola)

Combine in a food processor until smooth. Will keep refrigerated for about 5 days. Makes about 1 1/2 cups worth.

BAKED TOFU

Press a block of Lite Firm Tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Give one more quick spritz of EVOO. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes.

TOFUNA

1 batch Baked Tofu - roughly break them up and pulse them in a food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy!

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Baked Tofu (cut into patties)

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.

DEVILISH CHICK SPREAD

3 cups chickpeas, cooked
    1 cup vegan mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    Season Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Combine everything except chives in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in.

THREE BEAN SALAD

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

LOADED BAKED SWEET POTATO

(ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!

STIR-FRY SAUCE

I heat up a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, 1 can of chinese veggies (drained), 1 can of water chestnuts (drained), then pour the following sauce. I know stir-fry is supposed to be quick-cooking, but after I pour my sauce on, I like to keep it on the heat for about 5 minutes, stirring the sauce around and letting it soak in to the veggies.

Whisk together:

1 tsp ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp light agave
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp ponzu sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp corn starch

EASY PEANUT NOODLES

1 pack brown rice noodles (makes 1 serving)
    2 T smooth peanut butter
    1 T soy sauce
    1 T water
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like spicy)

To prepare noodles, boil water in small sauce pan. Once boiling, turn off heat, add noodles and set timer for 5 minutes. While noodles are cooking, in a single serving bowl, add remaining ingredients and stir until smooth sauce consistency. When noodles are done, drain, add to bowl and stir into noodles. Top with more red pepper flakes if you like it super spicy.

PEANUT NOODLES

1 lb. pasta
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    Red pepper flakes (optional)

Cook pasta according to box directions. In a saucepan, heat water, soy sauce, ginger and vinegar on medium-low heat. When warm, add peanut butter. Allow it to melt a couple minutes, then use a whisk to smooth it out. Add a couple tablespoons of water, if needed, for your desired consistency. Just before pouring over cooked pasta, turn off heat and whisk in the sesame oil. Pour over pasta, sprinkle on red pepper flakes.

EASY BLACK BEAN CHILI

4 cups cooked black beans
    1 jar (16 oz) of your favorite salsa
    1 diced onion
    2 diced green bell peppers
    2 cups water
    ½ Tblsp cumin
    2 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and cook on medium-high (low boil) until onions and peppers are soft, stirring occasionally. Serve over polenta:

EASY POLENTA

1 cup medium-coarse ground cornmeal
    3 ¼ cups water
    Pinch of salt
    1 Tblsp vegan chix bullion

Bring water, salt and bullion to a boil. Turn to medium/medium-high heat and slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly. Cook for 10-15 minutes, continually stirring. It will bubble and spit at you, so be careful.

At this point, it is still mold-able, so I put ½ cup into a bowl and pour 1 cup of chili over it. The polenta will set quite fast, so this is when I scoop it into the ½ cup measure, press it down, then turn it onto a plastic plate to let it cool and set.

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 12 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.

Tips
    *To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.

Thank you! I cannot wait to try some of these recipes!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I your 'why' isnt clear, you'll never make it. If you are doing it for weight loss reasons, there's no way it will last. But if it means enough to you, either ethically or medically, I'm sure you'll find a way
  • BunniToth
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

Yeah I'm eliminating dairy products for certain...but I think I am going to still eat seafood...

Why not eliminate seafood? Have you seen a nature movie where something horrible or amazing happens to an animal, like a dolphin gets trapped in a net or a turtle gets eaten by an shark or a salmon finally reaches the place of its birth so it can spawn and die, and most people think, “oh that poor dolphin! Someone save it!” Or “aw the turtle!” Or “Salmon are incredible!”
    I mean, kids would cry if Nemo ended up as Shark food, right? Then they eat fish sticks for dinner. The connection between what’s on the plate and what’s in the ocean or anywhere else an animal lives isn’t there.

I might eventually get to the point where I can eliminate seafood but as for right now I am just try to eliminate meat products which so far is hard enough...I didn't even know there was animal products in sugar...
  • hannah409m
    hannah409m Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’ve been vegan 5 months now and I could never go back for so many reasons!! Health benefits out the wazoo, not contributing to the suffering and helping our rapidly declining environment. They says it’s hard but I haven’t had any issue and I was a cheese addict... and born/raised in Texan. I’ve learned there are all types of vegans, like ones that don’t use meat subs and those who do, raw vegans, vegan for the environment, vegan for the animals, etc. I think meat subs are a great transitional item especially for people who previously ate a lot of dairy and meat. Don’t let outside opinions stop you from your transition if you’ve found vegan foods that help you transition but aren’t considered “healthy”. I was worried about throwing out all my old products that weren’t cruelty free as I am not wealthy. I saw many popular vegans explain that’s part of the stress is going cold turkey, it’s too much for people. Use them up and research good cruelty free vegan replacement for when they’re empty. Before I went shopping for my first vegan trip I did ALOT of online research checking out brands. I take time now and again to walk through the store see what’s new and cross my fingers that when I read the ingredients it’s accidentally vegan!! Certain stores like Kroger’s have a app that may not have all their selection but can help you sort of gauge your options before your trip. I was one of those people who said “but I could never do without cheese” there are so many good alternatives. I am working towards eliminating most processed foods but will always indulge as long as it’s vegan. Check out Minimalist Baker!!! Tons of good easy recipes
  • sweetiiicowgurl
    sweetiiicowgurl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have gone vegan about 6 months now. My Hubby and kids are not, unless they want dinner, then they eat whatever I make and like it or starve :) I miss cheese but there are so many brands that make substitutes that it makes it easier to give up. There is also something called Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) that you can get in packages or in bulk, add with some vegetable broth and it tastes great. Ive been using it for a few years in spaghetti and the kids know no difference. Also, NOOG is great! Otherwise known as Nutritional Yeast, also found in bulk or packages. I've made a cheese sauce from it for like soft tacos, and sprinkle it in dishes and it gives a cheese like flavor to things. Also, Indian and Thai foods are going to be your new favorite cuisines. I prefer Almond milk, and the Dark chocolate Almond milk is soooooo great, my kids chug this.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have gone vegan about 6 months now. My Hubby and kids are not, unless they want dinner, then they eat whatever I make... :)
    Always been the way it works in my kitchen too. :)
  • potatovegan
    potatovegan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a vegan diet for 4 years, best decision ever. I feel better physically than I ever have. So many great recipes out there, you can pretty much veganize any recipe. Congrats on your new vegan journey, you will love it.