Plate Carriers and running

Options
How many out there run with a plate carrier with weights? I run with a condor plate carrier and Rogue weight plates 20 lbs total.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A "condor plate carrier" is a "tactical" vest designed to carry ballistic bullet resistant plates for use in military or LEO operations.

I'm a retired LEO but I'm not sure why you'd need to wear one, let alone run in one, for "recreational" purposes.

FWIW, I've got a "recreational" weighted vest that I can load w/up to 75#.

I never run but I have taken 3-5 mile hikes w/20# in my vest a couple of times.

Stopped doing that because the vest doesn't have any hip support and places too much pressure on my shoulders; it's very uncomfortable. The condor plate carrier would be no different in this regard.

A better choice for carrying weight on a long hike would be to load some sandbags into a backpack w/proper hip support so that all the weight doesn't rest on your shoulders.

Have been thinking about doing this in the spring as pre-trsining for some summer backpack trip or just to build strength and endurance.

As for running in a condor plate carrier, I don't think that's necessary unless you're under live fire and running for cover to save your life or the life of others.

Just my 2 bits on the matter.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My knees say no.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Why?

It's an efficient way to screw up the lower back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How many out there run with a plate carrier with weights? I run with a condor plate carrier and Rogue weight plates 20 lbs total.

Only in contact, wearing an Osprey, together with Mk7 helmet and carrying a patrol pack and weapon system.

Seems a bit pointless tbh.
  • coyotedave23
    coyotedave23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually as for weight distribution the condor does distribute the weight far better then a backpack. I am doing it to train for a Ruck. I did the Ruck 22 here last fall to raise awareness of veteran and service member suicide. We did 24 miles with weight pack's. That put a lot of pressure on my shoulders even with hip support. Some people wear them to train for cross fit competition's Some still use them for Spartan races. I do it for strengthening my legs during my run's. I am currently running 5-6 miles 3 times a week in the early morning's. In the military we wore flack vests and Alice gear and ran to train for the marathon in Greece. If done properly it's quite effective. Just seeing if anyone else does this and trading info and tips. I don't expect everyone to do it or understand. Just looking for others who do.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    In the military we wore flack vests and Alice gear and ran to train for the marathon in Greece. Just seeing if anyone else does this and trading info and tips. I don't expect everyone to do it or understand. Just looking for others who do.

Sounds pretty brutal. More power to you!

Tried posting on any crossfit, century, mudder, spartan, marathon or any other extreme sport forums that involve that kind of exhaustive running?

I think you'd have much better luck connecting w/like minds there than here on MFP.

PS: FWIW, have a Marmot backpack w/excellent hip support that I've used in high country multi-day trips loaded w/over 60# in it, which transferred very little of the weight to my shoulders.

It's been awhile since I used it but I'm pretty sure that it would be a lot better than just wearing a weighted tactical or recreational vest w/ALL of the weight resting on my shoulders.

Of course, I'd never try to run in it, unless I had absolutely no other choice (such as while being attacked by a cougar or bear), because of the poor weight distribution for that purpose.

In such a case, I'd try to play dead (in which case the pack would help to protect me) or just dump the pack to run and try to take refuge where I best can, so that I can defend myself w/the knife and gun that I'm likely to be carrying.

LOL! ;)

Anyway, I can see why a backpack wouldn't work for what you need/want to do.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Actually as for weight distribution the condor does distribute the weight far better then a backpack. I am doing it to train for a Ruck. I did the Ruck 22 here last fall to raise awareness of veteran and service member suicide. We did 24 miles with weight pack's. That put a lot of pressure on my shoulders even with hip support. Some people wear them to train for cross fit competition's Some still use them for Spartan races. I do it for strengthening my legs during my run's. I am currently running 5-6 miles 3 times a week in the early morning's. In the military we wore flack vests and Alice gear and ran to train for the marathon in Greece. If done properly it's quite effective. Just seeing if anyone else does this and trading info and tips. I don't expect everyone to do it or understand. Just looking for others who do.

That makes sense. I still wouldn't do it but it makes sense for you. :) I had enough of that in the early 90's when I left the army.