Mr Scale please start moving again

Options
Its been 3 week since I've lost any weight . Any ideals on how to get the scale moving again would be greatly appriociated. I walk on my treadmil daily for about an hour increase my speed and distance as often as I can. I have worked myself up to walking at 3 mph with 1-2 minute intervals of 5 mph. Im short so 5 mph is a quick pace for me. I hope to run one day soon. Today is the first day I didnt get on my treadmill in the past 2 months. My calorie target is 1200 and I almost always eat my exercise calories.

Replies

• tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    Try increasing your calories to 1300-1350 for a couple weeks. When my wieght loss stalled, I had to incerase my intake to jump-start the loss. Best of luck to you.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I believe we have "set points" of weight, where our bodies are comfortable. It takes time to get past it. I've found that simply sticking to it and maybe changing my calories (up or down or zig zag) and switching up my workouts can greatly affect being able to move past the set point. Assuming everything is accurate, the only other thing to do is wait it out. Keep up the good work!!
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Try looking at your fat, sugar and carb intake. I found that eating higher fat and less sugar (while still in calories for the day) worked for me when I hit a plataeu. I then cut my simple carbs from 5 dinners per week (swapped potato for sweet potato and pumpkin, swapped rice for quinoa/brown rice etc)

You can also switch your bread for gluten free.

Any of those changes in diet will see the scale move again!
  • heather_elise85
    heather_elise85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Same here.. had to up my calories.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had to up my calories from 1200 to 1350 to get the scale to start moving again. I know it's very frustrating when you are doing everything right and the scale don't seem to be moving. Also you could be losing inches too. When the scale don't move, I rely on the inches loss :) Good luck on your journey.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    try increasing the elevation on the treadmill if possible...

and try watching your sodium intake--that always gets me :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    double post
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I believe we have "set points" of weight, where our bodies are comfortable. It takes time to get past it. I've found that simply sticking to it and maybe changing my calories (up or down or zig zag) and switching up my workouts can greatly affect being able to move past the set point. Assuming everything is accurate, the only other thing to do is wait it out. Keep up the good work!!

You nailed it!!!! I've known about set points for a long time now. I first learned of them in the old SyberVision's Neuropsychology of Weight Control. That program teaches you about nutrition, how your body uses food, how exercise changes your metabolic rate and recommends foods to lower your fat set point. Most importantly it reshapes your thinking about how you look at yourself and dispells myths about what a perfect body looks like and why you may never achieve that "look" you've been killing yourself for. I don't know if it is still around. My version is 12 cassette tapes and a workbook and journal. It was considered to be cutting edge in the '80's and is the foundation of everything I know today.