Who has tried OMAD?! [ One Meal A Day]

Options
So, I have tried OMAD for about a week and I personally feel great on it, I would like to know if anyone has tried it and what your experience with it was? Success and failures, what to avoid, appreciate any advice. Thank You.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant when it comes to weight management. Congrats on finding something you like and hope it's sustainable for you!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I like to volume eat, but made myself feel seriously stuffed to the point of being sick trying to fit all my calories in one meal (dinner and dessert) and didn't meet my own personal nutritional requirements.... It's not something I'd do every day.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, it works well for me on days I don't lift. I can fairly easily put in a few miles in the mornings and wait until afternoon to eat my meal. On days I lift, I have to at least have a protein shake prior or my lifts suffer.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I’ve never done it for weight loss purposes, but I have done one meal a day for religious fasting purposes. I can’t imagine doing it on the regular. If I don’t eat some throughout the day, I end up foggy and cranky.
  • footshoe
    footshoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am having to do this today because I have a wrecked sleep schedule that I have been struggling with for a month to get back in line. One thing that is bugging me is since getting on a diet and using this app to track calories and macros is I am eating WAY more food than I was just winging it and gaining weight. It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of food I have to eat just to catch up in one evening. But I am trying to shed fat and make gains, but check this out! I just ate a six egg omelette with two pieces of bacon and some spinach, pretty soon after I do a brutal power lifting and kettlebell work out and I am going to eat 14oz of round of eye, two sweet potatoes, four scoops of whey protein, two low everything tortillas AND I AM STILL NOT EATING ENOUGH! And your marcos will run out quicker than your calories, so, yeah it kind of sucks but I'm dedicated.

tl;dr I fast in the morning with black coffee then eat two meals from the afternoon on sometimes with a snack to catch up on calories/macros. It's doable.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How can your macros run out quicker than your calories?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have never done OMAD, but have done two while on retreat in Thailand. I occasionally do two at home as a reminder. I can't imagine trying to get enough calories and nutrition in a single meal. If you have found a way to make it work and be sustainable and balanced, then good on you!
  • bcarly42
    bcarly42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I did this on a normal day before I tried getting healthy. When not working (either days off or unemployed) I wouldn't eat until dinner time. I would eat a large meal, and be good. Unfortunately I was eating way more at dinner than calorie counting for dieting would allow. So when I started trying to get healthy, eating in the morning or afternoon became vital, so I don't overeat at dinner.

Definitely possible and quite easy for me. But I gain weight when I do it.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat this way, but not for health reasons or for IF 'benefits' but simply because it works for me. I can happily fit in my treats and a really nice meal and feel content and full at the end of it. I eat my first meal at around 6pm or thereabouts, and finish a while later with an ice cream or crisps or chocolate or whatever I fancy that day - all within calorie goal because I'm happy to 'fast' during the day and save my main cals for the evening when I'm usually hungrier. Been doing this a long time and nearly 6 stone down. It suits me well.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I eat like this a few days a week. Usually my three days off. I don't call it anything though. It's just a way I like to eat sometimes. It suits me.
    I have a big meal about 4pm and I'm good until 4pm the next day. I'm not hungry, I don't really do hungry lol. And I can easily fit my days calories in. I still have to make sure I don't go over.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I did it for a long time, and it felt great and made me feel miserable at the same time, and I gained weight and became obese. It could have been because the meal lasted for seven hours and I just ate what I felt like at the moment. Getting in all I need and not too much in one, big but regular meal, and not feel terribly stuffed and lethargic. would be extremely difficult. I relly like dividing my food into three meals and maybe a treat.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I was eating OMAD for YEARS and still manage to get to a whopping 17stone 5.

so dont be fooled and make sure you still weigh and log EVERYTHING that goes in to that meal
  • mamamoobyul
    mamamoobyul Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me. I did it for 1 month. Thing is that with one meal a day everyday day in and out you suddenly crave desserts (atleast I was like that). I think it's because I would not be able to get enough calories from one meal. And it's not flexible let's say your family or friends want to have lunch with you then it messes up your rhythm of eating at a certain hour. So I prefer intermittent fasting so I skip breakfast sometimes, sometimes breakfast and lunch etc. Sometimes I do eat breakfast if I feel like it and skip dinner. Just beware that the first few days your stomach will make hungry noises and people will think you're starving yourself lol
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I did it for a couple weeks but found I couldn’t maintain that pattern long-term. Now I just skip breakfast. If you think you can eat OMAD for the rest of your life it could work for you, but it didn’t work for me.