EXTREME GYM FEAR

Options
Butterflybele
Butterflybele Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2018 in Motivation and Support
I know to be successful in this journey I need to take advantage of my local Gym. But just the thought of signing up and running into people I know when working out is absolutely terrifying. I hate the thought of also not knowing what the heck I am doing while at a gym. Any suggestions to get myself more comfortable?

Replies

• Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Start with googling basic workout routines - these are helpful they show you which machines to use, number of reps etc. Going into a new space - trust me I've been there, was intimidating being surrounded by fit people but you can do it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    I know to be successful in this journey I need to take advantage of my local Gym. But just the thought of signing up and running into people I know when working out is absolutely terrifying. I hate the thought of also not knowing what the heck I am doing while at a gym. Any suggestions to get myself more comfortable?

You don't need to go to the gym to lose weight. Get a good pair of walking shoes and start walking!
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Start by using the basic cardio mashines. They are easy to program. Wear some music-device which will indicate to others that you are in your own world. Efter a few visits you will be familiar with the gym and then perhaps you ar ready for an introduction to the other mashines. The staff will be happy to introduce you to the lifting-equipment. If you run into anybody you know,- just smile, nod and keep up your rutine. You don´t owe them any insigt in your goals or challenges,- and they most likely don´t care much. Enjoy the gym and tune out distractions.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I’ve overcome this. The best thing I did was to I pick a plan and stick to it. I walk in there knowing exactly what I want to accomplish every day. I picked a routine that doesn’t keep me in the gym for hours. Tell yourself, “this is just 50 minutes (or whatever) of my life, just get it done!”

I researched and planned here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

If you really want to make the gym a routine, give yourself no excuses. Keep the gym bag packed and organized and don’t forget the earbuds. Remind yourself that everyone is focused on themselves, not what you’re doing. Eventually the gym becomes a place you go that makes you feel great. It’s now my happy place.

Keep in mind you don’t HAVE to join a gym, there is a lot you can do at home, and you can walk outside. I worked out at home for months when I was getting started, and there have been times when my routine was just walking and bodyweight exercises.

Finally, if your goal is to lose weight, your eating is going to determine your success above all.
  • NicoleVT83
    NicoleVT83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You don’t need the gym to lose weight. I lost 101 pounds and my husband lost 130 in about a year and we never stepped foot in a gym! Better eating, portion control, walking and some Zumba in the living room at home.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Imagine how much respect those people you know will have for you when they see you trying to get healthy. It's a real thing.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Agree, you don’t have to go to the gym. Lots of good stuff happens at the gym, but as noted, weight loss takes place in the kitchen.

Just trying to de-stress the gym a bit. You’re going because you decided. Also agree that google and YouTube will provide you with a lot of basic info. Likely it’s also the job of the staff to give the new people some basic instruction.

Fear of looking dumb, out of place- That’s how I felt lots of places at my 285lb peak. In fact, the bigger I got, the smaller my comfort zone. My life was shrinking. The first thing you need to do is stake a claim. Just start going every day and walking on the treadmill. Start slow, resist the voice in your head telling you that you have to do more and more. Dont add any food because you burn calories at the gym. You can think about that if you ever get to serious training. Maybe someday. Don’t think about anything else until you have the habit of showing up at the gym solidly in place.

Last- this is a special time of the year at the gym. The new crowd is showing up. If you go now, you will be mostly invisible. The regulars know that 95% of the new people will be long gone in 6 weeks or less. Your only job now is to go to the gym and still be going in April.

Come April you will know who the serious people are. Those folks are mostly in their bubble. Maybe someday you will get a nod of recognition. Good luck.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Change your thoughts yo change your beliefs to change your attitudes to change your actions.

Listen to a song that makes you feel like Superman and walk into the gym like a rock star.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

There is more than one way to get to a goal.

If you want to go to a gym:
    Maybe ask a friend to go with you or join a beginner exercise class
    Ask for help from staff, sign up with a personal trainer
    Go at a less popular time
    Visit and observe the environment, start with something like a treadmill and get more comfortable just being there
    Watch videos or read about using different equipment or doing different exercises
    Talk to a therapist about your extreme fear and negative expectations

You can lose weight without exercise if that is your goal. Just watch your calorie intake.
    You can exercise at home or outdoors. There are workouts on you tube, dvds, home gym equipment, walking, running, biking, dancing, etc.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym, but if you feel that it would help you my best advice for your circumstances is to have a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. That way you will have someone to guide you so you will know what to do.

Maybe you could make the first step calling two gyms and making an appointment to be shown around and asking about prices?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you can figure it out let me know lol. 110 Lbs down im thin and fit now and i still cant seem to get self to go to a gym. I panick so bad i dont like not knowing exactly what im doing lol but i know i need to to rebuild muscle
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sheks41191 wrote: »
    Start with googling basic workout routines - these are helpful they show you which machines to use, number of reps etc. Going into a new space - trust me I've been there, was intimidating being surrounded by fit people but you can do it.

I've done this!! Some of the names for exercises now are totally irrelevant to the actual move...I mean, come on, BURPEE!! Really!!

Anyway, you don't have to use your gym. If you have the right motivation and will power, just stream a fit video on YouTube and away you go at home.

I had the same fear once upon a time about joining the gym but one day, I bit the bullet and bought a day pass to my local gym, and all my fears melted. 20 months later and nearly 80lbs lighter and I'm so much happier for it.

Just remember, those going to the gym all have their own goals and no one is looking at you or judging what you are doing. The staff in my gym are amazing and I've actually befriended a good few of them. Strangers in my gym come up to me and tell me how well I'm doing and what a huge change they see in me. One of the boys I used to go to school with is a Personal Trainer at my gym. You will find yourself encouraging other people in their own journies...I never once thought it would ever be that way or that these things would happen to me. Everyone in a gym is there for a reason...the only people judging are those walking PAST the gym and making some stupid comment about you going in...but they are the lazy, small minded people who should be erased from your mind.

Trust me, joining the gym was the most exciting and exhilarating thing I've ever done and I often now wish I'd joined sooner and wonder why I was so scared before.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1. Have a program that you can follow. So you know I'm going to the gym to do four reps of these 8 exercises. So when you done, you're out of there.

2. Does your gym have quiet spots? Like at my gym, most people rarely use the weight machines in the 3rd room because there are 2 other rooms nearer with mostly the same equipment. So that's the room I went to in the beginning because I didn't feel comfortable.

3. If you really just want to ease into it, go at times when the gym might be mostly empty. Like Sunday mornings.
    Slowly build your confidence. After awhile you'll make friends and won't feel so intimidated
  • amberhayx
    amberhayx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you!! So I decided to go for classes and it’s the best thing I’ve done no body is looking at you they’re all working on their own body and fitness! Been around other people and having an instructor keeps me motivated and I like to mix it up with the types of classes I go to each month I’ll try something new! :D
  • BubbandBatspud
    BubbandBatspud Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was extremely reluctant/scared to go to the gym for the first time. I remember sitting in the car in the parking lot for 15 minutes trying to decide whether to actually go in. 6 months later, going feels natural. I’ve found most people keep a pretty regular gym schedule, so you tend to run into the same people on the same days/same time which I think helps. At least you know what/who to expect. I also found starting with some instruction/coaching for me was critical as I had no idea what I was doing. At the end of the day, you’re far more likely to regret not going than going.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Most gyms Will Let you try it at least once for free. Perhaps give the gym a call, express your concerns and if they are a great gym they will encourage you to come and give a full tour. You can do that commitment free and see if it is for you or not.

As far as running into people you know...they once were just starting out too. No need to concern yourself with them.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You DON'T have to go to a gym in order to exercise. I haven't had a gym membership in over 3 years now.
    Super easy to get started at home!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    If you can figure it out let me know lol. 110 Lbs down im thin and fit now and i still cant seem to get self to go to a gym. I panick so bad i dont like not knowing exactly what im doing lol but i know i need to to rebuild muscle

About 90 pounds down. Been going to the gym over a year now. I panic every time I go! Still!