*insert typical "not losing weight" title here*

Options
For real though, jokes aside, I hate to be that guy that stresses because he hasn't lost weight in a week, but here's the situation:

Ive been on a keto diet for the past month and a half or so, as few carbs as possible. So long as I respected that diet, I managed to lose a consistent ~1 kg a week, which is far beyond the 0.5 kg a week goal I had set.

However this past week I got absolutely fed up of it and starting slowly reintroducing carbs, still trying to keep my intake to <100 g per day, but it's still significantly more than the 30-50 g I was having each day on the keto diet.

I weighed in today (and have been every day for the past week) and Ive remained within 75.1-75.5 kg range. I anticipated if I continued losing at the rate that I have been, I'd be around 74.5 kg by now, which is significantly less than the 75.3 I weighed in at this morning.

This happens the same week I reintroduce carbs to my diet. Seriously, what is up with those demonic things? My goal is still set to lose 0.5 kg per week and Ive been eating within my daily calories, yet the scale hasn't budged.

Granted it's been a week, however after losing a kilo a week every week for the past month and a half and then all of a sudden losing nothing, makes me suspect those little carb devils are responsible.

Thanks.

Replies

• RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Calories?

Calories are fine. Been respecting my daily limit of 1840 per day.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Also, a shout out for trending apps/websites like Libra. Really helps to see the big picture of your weight trend, without as much impact from water weight fluctuations.

You said you set mfp to 0.5kg/week loss, and have been consistently sticking to your calories, but losing 1kg/week. This suggests that some of that loss was water weight, not fat loss, which others have mentioned will return with higher carb intake.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wait a few more days. It will all even out. The quick downturn in the scale number you see when you restrict carbs becomes the quick upturn in the scale number you see when you reintroduce carbs. Once your body has re-stored the water, IF YOU'RE IN A CALORIE DEFICIT the scale will start to go down again.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    54qzg1xdw5rc.jpg
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's the carbs in the sense that reintroducing them is making you retain water. That's all this is, water weight. After a few weeks your loss should pick up again, though keep in mind it might be at a different rate or "feel" different because you're eating differently. Nothing wrong with that, it's all about what you prefer.

However, even if you are doing everything "right" it is still 100% normal to just not show any weight loss some weeks. I have months when I lose 10lbs and months when I lose 2lbs, even doing the same stuff. It's just the way our bodies are.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    For real though, jokes aside, I hate to be that guy that stresses because he hasn't lost weight in a week, but here's the situation:

Ive been on a keto diet for the past month and a half or so, as few carbs as possible. So long as I respected that diet, I managed to lose a consistent ~1 kg a week, which is far beyond the 0.5 kg a week goal I had set.

However this past week I got absolutely fed up of it and starting slowly reintroducing carbs, still trying to keep my intake to <100 g per day, but it's still significantly more than the 30-50 g I was having each day on the keto diet.

I weighed in today (and have been every day for the past week) and Ive remained within 75.1-75.5 kg range. I anticipated if I continued losing at the rate that I have been, I'd be around 74.5 kg by now, which is significantly less than the 75.3 I weighed in at this morning.

This happens the same week I reintroduce carbs to my diet. Seriously, what is up with those demonic things? My goal is still set to lose 0.5 kg per week and Ive been eating within my daily calories, yet the scale hasn't budged.

Granted it's been a week, however after losing a kilo a week every week for the past month and a half and then all of a sudden losing nothing, makes me suspect those little carb devils are responsible.

Thanks.

It's the water weight from carbs. That's basically why -- unless you are in a calorie deficit -- keto only works as a weight loss method for as long as you are *in* keto.

Want to lose weight? Calorie deficit. Want to lose water? Keto. But be aware that when you start eating carbs again, you'll start holding on to water again.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You get a water weight loss when you restrict carbs and the water comes back when you reintroduce them - not demonic just the way carbs are stored in your body with 3 or 4 grams of water for each gram of carbs stored.

Concentrate on fat loss not water weight fluctuations and that's down to your calorie deficit over an extended period of time. That extended period of time means your diet has to be personally sustainable.

This ^. Cause science and common sense.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Thanks.

It's the water weight from carbs. That's basically why -- unless you are in a calorie deficit -- keto only works as a weight loss method for as long as you are *in* keto.

Want to lose weight? Calorie deficit. Want to lose water? Keto. But be aware that when you start eating carbs again, you'll start holding on to water again.

These statements are a little misleading. Keto works as a weight (fat) loss method, like any other way of eating, *as long as you are in a calorie deficit*. It's not like all a person ever loses on keto is water. The primary advantage of keto is that some find it a satisfying way of eating (at least until they don't). That's fine, as long as a person is aware of the water weight swings.

For instance, a person might start keto and be in a 500 calorie/day deficit (whether intentionally or not), lose a fast 5 lbs the first week, then 1 lb/week for the rest of the month, suddenly increase their carbs and gain the 4 lbs in water weight back, for a total fat loss of 4 lbs for the month. Another person might just pursue that 500 calorie/day deficit irrespective of carbs and also end up with a 4 lb loss for the month, without the big swings (although people, especially women, will experience water weight fluctuations for other reasons as well, just usually not as dramatic).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Its water weight. Not the carbs - what they do is make your body hold onto water temporarily (completely normal and nothing wrong with having them), its something like for every 1g of carbs the body holds on to 7g of water. But its a temporary 'gain' and nothing to fret about, you'll see your true loss within a matter of days.