10K Run Event

2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    However, another question ... if I were to keep up the running, does it actually get easier?

The trite answer is that it doesn't get any easier, you're just able to go faster/ longer. A bit like cycling in that respect.

In all honesty I don't much enjoy short distances. It takes me a mile or so to relax into a run, so for a 5K I'm not comfortable for the first 10 minutes or so, then in the last 5 minutes I'm pushing much harder, so the enjoyable bit is quite short.

My favourite distance is 50K, I find that a little easier than a marathon. All that said, I'm very much a trail runner, can't be bothered with road running. So in that sense all the stuff about not doing anything you've not tried in training goes out the window.

Fuel becomes flapjacks, brownies, beer, water melon etc.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,502 Member
    However, another question ... if I were to keep up the running, does it actually get easier?

The trite answer is that it doesn't get any easier, you're just able to go faster/ longer. A bit like cycling in that respect.

In all honesty I don't much enjoy short distances. It takes me a mile or so to relax into a run, so for a 5K I'm not comfortable for the first 10 minutes or so, then in the last 5 minutes I'm pushing much harder, so the enjoyable bit is quite short.

My favourite distance is 50K, I find that a little easier than a marathon. All that said, I'm very much a trail runner, can't be bothered with road running. So in that sense all the stuff about not doing anything you've not tried in training goes out the window.

Fuel becomes flapjacks, brownies, beer, water melon etc.

Interesting.

I've discovered that it takes me 1.5 to 2 km to feel comfortable. So today, I did a 2 km run and felt pretty much uncomfortable the whole way. If I do 3 km, it's a bit better. At least I finish feeling like I could keep going.

I suppose it is kind of like cycling. I'm a long distance cyclist, so I'm quite happy doing 150 km and 200 km events. When I'm doing them regularly, it takes me about 50 km to settle in and feel really comfortable with it, and then I can usually just keep going and going. But if it has been 7 or 8 weeks since I've done that distance, the whole thing can feel like a battle. All about fitness and conditioning and what you've gotten used to.

And yep ... fuel is real food. :)

I don't intend to give up my cycling, but I've thought about doing some running events for years and finally figured I might give it a go. Plus I've got limited time to train for my cycling events, so since I've got an hour at lunch, it might help my cardiovascular system and general fitness to get out there for a run two or three times a week.

• purpleannex
    purpleannex Posts: 61 Member
    As you only started running a month ago, go to the race with the mindset that it's just another training run, don't even think of it as a race. You should be perfectly capable of the distance due to what you've said you've done already, but don't change anything from your normal routine of getting ready to run and run at your normal pace.

Once you've completed the race you'll be able to begin answering your own questions about what a race is like and what YOU should do. If you want to continue with the running, then finding a sensible schedule with a corresponding race at the end is the way to go. For a race in 9 days time, don't worry, just carry on, nothing you do now will significantly change the outcome of the race.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,734 Member
    It does get easier, but then a lot of us push ourselves to go farther or faster, so in a way it isn't easier. OTOH, all of your runs won't be long or fast, so you'll have some nice easy runs to recover and relax. (Basic rule of thumb is no more than 20% of your miles should be hard efforts.)

It's like hiking: when 3 mile hikes feel easy, you do 8 mile hikes. When that is comfortable, you do 12 miles. When that is easy you do 15. And some go on to doing 20+ mile hikes. Result is, at the end of the day you feel tired and well exercised. And sometimes you feel exhausted.
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    As you only started running a month ago, go to the race with the mindset that it's just another training run, don't even think of it as a race. You should be perfectly capable of the distance due to what you've said you've done already, but don't change anything from your normal routine of getting ready to run and run at your normal pace.

Once you've completed the race you'll be able to begin answering your own questions about what a race is like and what YOU should do. If you want to continue with the running, then finding a sensible schedule with a corresponding race at the end is the way to go. For a race in 9 days time, don't worry, just carry on, nothing you do now will significantly change the outcome of the race.

The reason I decided to go for this particular "fun run" (some people will treat it like a race, but it is actually listed under the "fun run" category on the list of runs in the State) was because there's really nothing else in my area that fit my cycling-event schedule. Through December and into January, I can focus on running, but by mid-month, I need to turn most of my attention back to cycling again.

There might be an event or two that could interest me next spring (October/November) ... but I didn't want to wait that long to give an event a try. :)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Oh I did the marathon there last year! It's a lovely run along the Derwent there. I wish I could have gone back again this year.

Well done on a good run and now you have a pb to beat!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Well done, glad you enjoyed it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Do you eat on a 10K? Or is it too short? ...

You mean like stopping for lunch? LOL. That's what I'm picturing from your question... ;)

I don't ever stop for snacks during races. Even during a marathon I don't eat while I run. That sounds nauseating to me. I do take quick little drinks as I pass the water and Gatorade stands, and when friendly bystanders are passing out candy, like jolly ranchers, I don't turn them down. Those are nice little treats, especially toward the end of the race. But for something as short as a 10k I can't imagine needing (or even wanting) food. I actually haven't done anything shorter than a half marathon, but if it's anything like those, they'll have snacks and drinks for you at the end.

Edited: I see you already did it! <3
  • Machka9
    jenilla1 wrote: »

You mean like stopping for lunch? LOL. That's what I'm picturing from your question... ;)

No ... I was thinking of gels. I know that some people carry a gel or two on longer events but wasn't sure about 10Ks.

And yes ... a successful completion. :)

• ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Congratulations on finishing your race! Not sure what to say about the numb foot. That only happens to me on an elliptical machine; never while running. You may want to check in with your doctor about that.

Congrats again!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »

No ... I was thinking of gels. I know that some people carry a gel or two on longer events but wasn't sure about 10Ks.

And yes ... a successful completion. :)

I couldn't even handle the gels during marathons. They are so gross to me. But yes, lots of people use them. I wouldn't think you'd need them for a 10k, but that's more of a preference thing. Glad you had success with your race! Maybe you can think about doing a 1/2 marathon next...? B)
  • Machka9
    Next, I return my focus to cycling. :) I've got several long distance cycling events coming up. However, it looks like there are some events coming up next spring (September-November), so I when my cycling events start to wind down, I might increase the running again. :)
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    I’ve had the numb foot on the elliptical as well and I think maybe when my planta facitias first started to rear its head. I would suggest when you have a chance getting your gait and shoes looked at.
  • Machka9
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    I’ve had the numb foot on the elliptical as well and I think maybe when my planta facitias first started to rear its head. I would suggest when you have a chance getting your gait and shoes looked at.

When I bought the shoes about a month ago, I had my gait and shoes looked at and everything seemed all right. I went for a 7 km run and all was well ... I went for several shorter runs ... all good ...

And then I went for an 8.6 km run, and about 2 km into it, my foot went numb. I walked a bit and it went away for the rest of the run.

I did another short run or two and everything was OK. Then I did a 10 km run, and same thing ... numb foot. It happened a couple times on that run and I walked to get it back to life.

Then this time, it happened 3 or 4 times, and the foot was dead like when you sit on your leg wrong while watching a movie ... and then get up to walk. That kind of dead. Walking helped, and it finally went away with about 2 km to go.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Numb feet can be to do with lacing. Check the below link out.

http://www.thepodiatrycentre.com.au/fitness/different-lacing-techniques/

Personally I have quite wide feet. I stick to the same road shoe every time I buy them (I think I'm on the 13th model now?). One year they made the toe box smaller. I had to get rid of them after a couple months because my feet were constantly numb. The next model was fine. But I've also had numb feet in lots of other shoes and the problem is almost always sorted by changing my lacing.