Running for weight loss - faster or for longer?

Options
I’ve recently started running as part of my work out. At the moment I am doing 3 5k runs a week and am running at 9km/hr (amongst other exercise).
I was wondering whether it’s best to build it up by running faster or for longer? Obviously over time I hope to do both!

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, the longer you run, the faster you'll eventually go. If you're interested in running longer distances, look for a training plan online -- Hal Higdon has some good ones -- and follow it.

What are your running goals? Do you want to be excellent at 5Ks, or do you eventually want to go for longer races?
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's better to go for distance before speed. You'll normally find that over time your stamina will improve and you'll be able to keep up a higher pace with practice.
  • elisabethkerry
    elisabethkerry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I’ll look at building up my distance first then. I don’t have ambitions to be a marathon runner or anything but would quite like to get up to 10k!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently started running as part of my work out. At the moment I am doing 3 5k runs a week and am running at 9km/hr (amongst other exercise).
    I was wondering whether it’s best to build it up by running faster or for longer? Obviously over time I hope to do both!

Pace doesn't make a significant difference to calorie expenditure, is largely about distance covered. I'd also say that focused speed work isn't hugely beneficial until you're covering about 10K sessions anyway, about 30-40km per week aggregate.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you want to run a 10k, start increasing your mileage slowly. You can follow a beginner training plan like Hal Higdon’s or 5k to 10k. You’ll get faster as you continue running, but the only way to train for a longer distance is to run longer distances.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Build a good base before introducing any speed work. Try not to exceed the 10% rule. Don't make your longest run more than 10+% longer per week, and don't increase your total miles by more than 10% per week. Additionally, if you are increasing mileage, make sure you use some sort of cycle which means you don't burn out. Personally I use 4 week blocks. Week 1 is my easy week. For example if week 1 was 15k, week 2 would be 16.5k, week 3 18k and week 19.5k. Then my new cycle would start on week 1, which would be 16-17k. This way each block I make progress, but not necessarily every week. I continue this until I reach my target mileage.

If you have a specific goal in mind, then follow a training plan for that. There are loads online.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/rws-training-pace-calculator

This is a really useful tool. Most people run most of their runs too fast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Running is a terrific sport. It strengthens your body and your mind. It does not do well for weight loss. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.

The more you run, the more fuel you need. It is sometimes tough to balance what you need with what you eat. It is possible to gain weight while training for a marathon (I generally do).

Run for your health. Run because you enjoy it. Don't run to lose weight. You will be disappointed.

It's possible to gain while training for a half!!! :laugh:
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For serious distance runners, easy running should constitute most of their mileage. This doesn't mean going turtle-slow, but it does mean maintaining a comfortable pace. In other words, push yourself somewhat, but remain in a comfortable zone.

Again, that's just the backbone of one's running regimen. Ideally, one should also work in some speed play (fartlek) and some tempo runs. Some sprints as well, if possible.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Running is a terrific sport. It strengthens your body and your mind. It does not do well for weight loss. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.

The more you run, the more fuel you need. It is sometimes tough to balance what you need with what you eat. It is possible to gain weight while training for a marathon (I generally do).

Run for your health. Run because you enjoy it. Don't run to lose weight. You will be disappointed.

lol so very true!!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

lol so very true!!

I'm fighting the runger, one carb at a time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

lol so very true!!

mine come in 100's at time. lol The struggle is real. :smiley:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

lol so very true!!

Fat and protein helps me... a little. I just give up the deficit when I get a certain number of miles into my training
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In terms of calorie burn, speed doesn't matter that much - only distance matters.

For reference, the formula from Runner's World for how many calories you burn while running is this:

(body weight in pounds) * .63 * (miles run)

As you can see, speed is enough of a non-factor that they don't bother to include it in the formula. So if you are running with the goal of speeding up your weight loss by creating a greater deficit (or so you can eat more while maintaining a deficit), your concern should be distance.
  • HalfRightFaceee
    HalfRightFaceee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea to run the same distance Everytime you run. The best setup is to run Monday Wednesday Friday. Monday you run long slow distance which is a few miles at a nice easy slow pace. Wednesday is all out 60-120s for 15 minutes and Friday is continuous high intensity which is 20 minutes of running at 90 percent intensity.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea to run the same distance Everytime you run. The best setup is to run Monday Wednesday Friday. Monday you run long slow distance which is a few miles at a nice easy slow pace. Wednesday is all out 60-120s for 15 minutes and Friday is continuous high intensity which is 20 minutes of running at 90 percent intensity.

Why would you risk injuring someone that is not used to running with this?

Come think of it, why would I do this? Doesn't seem likely to help.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The best setup is to run.

Best very much depends on your objectives.

Given what the originator describes this would both increase injury risk and lead to slower progress.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Close, but only half right :)

It's not a good idea to run the same speed and distance every time you run. So some days you can run the whole way at your slow speed and others you can challenge yourself to speed up in the middle or for short stretches. but as MM said above, until you're doing 30-40km or 15-25 mpw, there's no reason to have a dedicated long slow day. The OP is only doing 10 MPW or 15 KmPW. The biggest benefit will come from adding a bit more distance(slowly) Either by adding another session or by slowly increasing the existing sessions in time and distance, either by walking or running.

An easy way to mix it up is instead of having a distance goal is to set a time target. 5 km @9 kph is about 40 minutes. So some days, run for 5/6/7 km, other days run for 30/40/50 minutes. That lets you experiment with listening to your body and running to your target.