Cardio with injured knee?

Options
Hey guys,

As the title of this reveals, I have injured my knee! Nothing super serious, but my doctor suggests I stop running for at least 4 weeks so that my muscles heal.

Running on the elliptical/treadmill is very important during my workouts and it’s gonna be very hard to avoid that. Do you guys know of other ways to get in some cardio that doesn’t involve me using my knee? I’ve read that rowing machines help, but I don’t know of anything else.

Hope to hear your thoughts:)

Replies

• pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    did you dr suggest biking?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Depending on the knee injury, cycling could be great for you. Any place where cyclists gather, you'll find a lot of people who used to be runners until an injury sidelined them.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you choose cycling, make sure you have a proper bike-fit or you will experience pain from a bad setup. Check in with a bike club or better yet a bike shop before you start cycling. If doing an indoor spin class, again proper seat height is important. Your spin trainer should be able to advise on proper height for the seat. Don't just sit on any bike or spin bike. Good luck
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I’ve had 3 knee surgeries. So I feel your pain. Many of the recommendations above are great. Biking and swimming are fantastic low/no impact exercises.

I’d suggest adding some weight training to your workout regiment. Nothing protects the knee like strong muscles supporting the joint. In addition, you can burn more calaries by lifting than doing cardio.

I’d also suggest meeting with a personal trainer. Explain your goals and challenges. A good PT will be able to design a program for you. Most importantly, you will learn proper technique. That will prevent additional injury.

Good luck. Feel free to add me if you like.

Enjoy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    aimanj7 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

As the title of this reveals, I have injured my knee! Nothing super serious, but my doctor suggests I stop running for at least 4 weeks so that my muscles heal.

Running on the elliptical/treadmill is very important during my workouts and it’s gonna be very hard to avoid that. Do you guys know of other ways to get in some cardio that doesn’t involve me using my knee? I’ve read that rowing machines help, but I don’t know of anything else.

What is your injury specifically because this sounds a peculiar combination?
    " I have injured my knee! Nothing super serious, but my doctor suggests I stop running for at least 4 weeks so that my muscles heal

I've injured bone, ligaments x3, meniscus x2 and bursitis but never a muscle in my knee.....

Rowing machines and most swimming strokes either involve load on your knees or put stress on them. You can swim without legs though (use a float).

Arm bike springs to mind as non leg cardio but I've not seen one in a gym for years.
  • aimanj7
    aimanj7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    aimanj7 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

What is your injury specifically because this sounds a peculiar combination?
    " I have injured my knee! Nothing super serious, but my doctor suggests I stop running for at least 4 weeks so that my muscles heal

I've injured bone, ligaments x3, meniscus x2 and bursitis but never a muscle in my knee.....

Rowing machines and most swimming strokes either involve load on your knees or put stress on them. You can swim without legs though (use a float).

Arm bike springs to mind as non leg cardio but I've not seen one in a gym for years.

^ thanks for the reply! Wow, that’s a lot list of injuries :/ So I injured my IT belt and I’ve been using the RICE method. It’s been challenging though because it’s hard to ice my knee and keep it elevated when I’m at work/school. I asked my trainer about it and be recommended I use the bike or rowing machine.

I weight train regularly (x4 week) arms, back and glutes but I’ve had to take it easy the past few days because of my knee. I’m really tempted to go back into routine as soon as I feel a little better -BUT I don’t want to make things worse.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ah - the IT band. One of the few things that I haven't seriously injured!
    It's not really a knee injury as such (or a muscle) but that's where the inflammation and pain commonly occurs.

Far more common in runners than cyclists, often an overuse injury in runners but more likely to occur from a bike fit problem in cycling. I wouldn't recommend switching to cycling when you already have problems as that may simply aggravate it in the same way as running would. Maybe after you have healed... ;)

You do know the R in RICE means rest? That doesn't meaning switching to a different exercise while it's still inflamed.

Dr Google ("IT Band Syndrome") will allow you to find stretches and rehab exercises that may help with your recovery.
  • aimanj7
    aimanj7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ah - the IT band. One of the few things that I haven't seriously injured!
    It's not really a knee injury as such (or a muscle) but that's where the inflammation and pain commonly occurs.

Far more common in runners than cyclists, often an overuse injury in runners but more likely to occur from a bike fit problem in cycling. I wouldn't recommend switching to cycling when you already have problems as that may simply aggravate it in the same way as running would. Maybe after you have healed... ;)

You do know the R in RICE means rest? That doesn't meaning switching to a different exercise while it's still inflamed.

Dr Google ("IT Band Syndrome") will allow you to find stretches and rehab exercises that may help with your recovery.

Lol, yes I am fully aware of the REST part. For the past 2 days I’ve been using RICE for 3-4 hours after coming home from work so it’s getting better.
    I really don’t want to stop working out because of it :( but you’re right, how else am I supposed to heal. I went to the gym last night and worked upper body for like 30 mins and then was done (not the most satisfying workout because I didn’t sweat from cardio).
    Thanks for the suggestions, very much appreciated :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The only "cardio" device that will NOT involve your knees (or lower body) to a significant degree is a SkiErg.

If you've never heard of or seen one, you can read about it here:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg

It's made by Concept2 (the company that's famous for the rowers it makes) and is designed to simulate the movements and work the muscles used in cross country skiing. They are sometimes used in Crossfit games.

You can find one to use located near you here:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg/finder

If you don't give up, you will sweat profusely and burn as much if not more doing any other form of cardio.

I was going to buy one to add to my collection of home gear until I tried one and found out how difficult it was.

It's brutal. Rowing and biking are much easier.

• 69HealthyMe
    69HealthyMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would suggest swimming or biking
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Last time I hurt my leg, I started rowing. Swimming is also a good option as it removes a lot of the pressure gravity normally places on joints.