Core muscle building

Options
Hi all. What would you suggest for building up core muscles?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    squats, rows, planks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Strength training.. compound lifts

Yes.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    for myself, i'm starting ot think planks are a baseline. i tend to do them for a while, get bored and move on to other more dynamic things . . . and then for some reason i get sent back to planks and often as not it'll turn out i can't do them as well as i thought anymore.

so, planks as part of the baseline for me. either as something i need to get to before i move out and beyond, or as a regular reality check once i do move further out and beyond. i like deadbug holds too - with or without the arm-leg part - because they seem to get to my lower abs better than anything else, which helps with anterior pelvic tilt.

uneven-weight carries are good, so long as i can keep a stable pelvis. and eccentric pullups did a lot for my upper abs when i was doing them. also, barbell front squats. any of this stuff can be done poorly though, so results depend a lot on your form.

that's my personal mileage, fwiw.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Why just your core? What about the rest of your body?

Any good, full-body strength program works your core properly, so that's what i suggest. Self-designed programs usually end up imbalanced. If you need help finding a good program, tell us what equipment you have available.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions. I would add the suitcase deadlift as well.
  • PeterAllan3450
    PeterAllan3450 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty new to it all. Just lost 4 stone with slimming world. Rest of my body I’m fine with. Cardio and that ok. Just my core doesn’t feel or look any different to before I lost the 4 stone.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You lost a lot of weight, so you probably have some loose skin there, and likely some fat lingering there too. Fat and skin can't be targeted through exercise, so ab exercises won't change the look of your abs much. The skin might snap back on its own within 2 years, and the fat of course is shed through a calorie deficit. :+1:
  • PeterAllan3450
    PeterAllan3450 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Luckily no loose skin. So I should continue to give myself a calorie deficit till it’s all gone?