Birth control weight gain

Catladyy17
Catladyy17 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I started this discussion looking for help. About 1 1/2 years ago I started nexplanon. I’ve had many issues with it such as weight gain and nonstop periods. After I started nexplanon I have gained 30 pounds( very quickly after )and I have the same diet I had 1 1/2 years ago. & for many reasons I’ve decided to I’m going to get the implant removed but I’m curious to know if anyone has lost weight after having the nexplanon or implanon removed?

Replies

• MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    I didn't have the implant but several years ago I tried the Depo shot and gained a lot weight on it. It did not come off easily when I changed forms of birth control :'(
  • haleyrhart
    haleyrhart Posts: 26 Member
    I had the implant removed a month ago. Same as you i had non-stop periods. I was hungry and tired all the time. I even had hairloss from the stress my body was under.
    Since having it removed and an IUD put in I have lost nearly 10 pounds. Eating right and exercise is a big part but I feel better and loke I can do those things.
    Also my first period was only 8 days. I never thought I could be so happy with an 8 day period. :p
  • Ashweemoe
    Ashweemoe Posts: 1 Member
    I've had my implant since November 2016. I have gained 47 pounds during the time frame of it being placed and now. I have also developed thyroid problems because of the implant. I am getting it removed this coming month. Any tips on losing the weight?
  • nvasquez41
    nvasquez41 Posts: 59 Member
    I didn't gain any weight on the Nexplanon but right at the beginning of the third year it started to mess with me emotionally and I got it taken out. After getting it taken out and switching back to the pill I didn't lose or gain weight but the depression and anxiety spell I was under got much better.
  • nvasquez41
    nvasquez41 Posts: 59 Member
    *beginning of the second year I meant to say
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Catladyy17 wrote: »
    I started this discussion looking for help. About 1 1/2 years ago I started nexplanon. I’ve had many issues with it such as weight gain and nonstop periods. After I started nexplanon I have gained 30 pounds( very quickly after )and I have the same diet I had 1 1/2 years ago. & for many reasons I’ve decided to I’m going to get the implant removed but I’m curious to know if anyone has lost weight after having the nexplanon or implanon removed?

I had the nexplanon for six years, so I’ve had two of them. The first one was completely fine, little to no side effects and my periods stopped. My second one I had non stop periods and crazy mood swings. The thing with birth control and weight gain is that the two only correlate due to changes in your appetite. Birth control does not gain weight, but it can increase or reduce cravings and bleeding non stop could certainly cause you to become less active. Unless you were weighing your food before and after you got it, it’s difficult to say with certainly that nothing about your diet changed. While the types of food may not have changed the portions could have, or vise versa.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    While I completely agree that birth control does not cause weight gain itself, the weight I gained from the increased appetite LOOKED very different. I was puffy. I didn't like how enlarged my breasts were. I just hate BC so much.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    While I completely agree that birth control does not cause weight gain itself, the weight I gained from the increased appetite LOOKED very different. I was puffy. I didn't like how enlarged my breasts were. I just hate BC so much.

If you hate your birth control, talk to your doctor about other options. There are a lot of different pills out there, and a lot of other options that aren't the pill. There's a very high chance that you can find something you like better. You don't have to suffer.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I hate HORMONAL birth control so much. I agree, the weight looked *different*. ick.
    I only took hormonal BC for a while, two different times. Hated it both times.
    Switch to non-hormonal methods after that.
  • bbell1985
    I hate HORMONAL birth control so much. I agree, the weight looked *different*. ick.
    I only took hormonal BC for a while, two different times. Hated it both times.
    Switch to non-hormonal methods after that.

You agree? I know there's not much science to back it up but it's like I didn't recognize my body. I also started smelling different and I hated it. I was so insecure and though my natural disposition is a bit...rough, I was constantly ENRAGED while I was on BC.
  • bbell1985
    apullum wrote: »

If you hate your birth control, talk to your doctor about other options. There are a lot of different pills out there, and a lot of other options that aren't the pill. There's a very high chance that you can find something you like better. You don't have to suffer.

Nah. I've been tortured enough. My period are already torture and though it'd be cool to find a birth control to help with that, I can't put my body through that again. I don't even want to guess/try.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2018

Nah. I've been tortured enough. My period are already torture and though it'd be cool to find a birth control to help with that, I can't put my body through that again. I don't even want to guess/try.

I totally agree. I had the mirena IUD and while it did it's job it ended up getting stuck and I needed surgery to get it out. I opted to not go on any form of BC after that. I hadn't had a period in 5 years and I don't think that's natural (well it isn't actually lol). So no more messing around with my hormones thanks. It feels awesome to have everything working the way it's supposed to.
    Catladyy17 wrote: »

ETA: I started losing weight before I got it out and I kept losing weight after. It's not the thing itself that is causing the weight gain it's how much you're eating. You might think you're eating the same amount of food but BC definitely contributes to an increased appetite. It's very easy to eat an extra couple hundred calories a day and think you're eating the same amount of food.
  • bbell1985
    whosshe wrote: »

I totally agree. I had the mirena IUD and while it did it's job it ended up getting stuck and I needed surgery to get it out. I opted to not go on any form of BC after that. I hadn't had a period in 5 years and I don't think that's natural (well it isn't actually lol). So no more messing around with my hormones thanks. It feels awesome to have everything working the way it's supposed to.

I would honestly love to not have my period. I skip mine sometimes because I've kind of adopted an athletic lifestyle and it can get wonky when I cut. I feel so much better. But yeah, BC sounds like it traumatized us enough.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I have an IUD. Before I got it my period was like clockwork same time each month +/- 1 depending on the length of the month. Since getting it I have skipped cycles, it’s lasted nearly 3 weeks, spotting and while I don’t get cramps anymore I’m so much more hormonal. I took a pill in the past and was super emotional and had a crazy appetite and also had a bad experience on the patch. Super hate BC.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I use NuvaRing and though I haven't gained weight, I'm not losing either. Some days I feel bloated. The one big change (and I think this is where people get tripped up) I get really nauseated when I'm hungry. It's not like before and my tummy would get a bit rumbly. No, if I'm hungry, I feel like I'm going to vomit and I get shaky. So I'm trying to spread my food out in lighter calorie snacks at work, drinking lots of water, and eating more things like veggies and lean protein that I can eat more of without it being a calorie bomb.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2018
    I did not have the implanon but did take the mini pill (which has the same hormones and they both have systemic affects). It was awful. I did gain weight but not quite as much as you did. I felt like I was starving and running all the time just to keep from gaining weight. Luckily what I gained dropped pretty easily after I stopped taking them.

Edited to fix the fact that auto correct changed implanon to impala
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

I have the non-hormone coil and although the first few months were hell whilst my body adjusted to going off the hormones from my normal pill (think super heavy periods and cramps that feel like you've been punched in the stomach repeatedly) once it settled it's been great and I don't have to worry about it for another 3 years.