Chickpea pasta?!

Options
Hello everyone,
I’ve just stumbled upon chickpea pasta in my local Heath food shop...didn’t even realize it existed! High in protein and lower in carbs than most regular pastas - has anyone tried it? What are your thoughts on it? Worth me trying? Ta!

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but I often replace normal flour (or at least part of it) with chickpea flour (that I make just by throwing chickpeas in the blender) and it doesn't seem to change the taste of things I make that much so I'd say give it a try.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    I eat it often- it’s very filling even in small portions. The other night I literally ate just the suggested amount of 1/4 cup (before cooking) with some marinara and was happy.
    For me, a heavy or creamy sauce would be too rich because the pasta itself is dense and chewy.
    It doesn’t present well as a long noodle, I like it best as a rotini. Also I find it unappealing used in cold pasta salad dishes- leathery and grainy at the same time.
    Be sure not to over cook it, and definitely rinse it after cooking. It makes bubbly scum in the pot as it boils.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I've had the "Banza" brand. It has a different taste and texture, but I like it. Definitely worth trying.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I haven't had chickpea pasta, but I have had lentil pasta as well as black bean pasta (prefer lentil) which are similar products. It's the sort of pasta I usually have, to get a bit more protein.

pow and tolerant are the specific brands I've had.
  • louisegillanders
    louisegillanders Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, sounds like it’s definitely worth trying :-)
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Never. But I have just discovered edamame bean spaghetti, and it’s really very good
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello! I haven't tried chickpea pasta but have tried lentil pasta and black bean pasta. Both of those didn't disappoint! I did notice that these pasta's are defiantly more dense than normal pasta. I would say it's worth a try!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've had the "Banza" brand. It has a different taste and texture, but I like it. Definitely worth trying.

I like it too and it is easy to add it to stir-fry vegetables, once is cooked. I agree that you need to watch the cooking time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    To me chickpea pasta and red lentil pasta have a flatter taste and a slightly less desirable texture than normal wheat pastas, but I enjoy them in flavorful sauces (to counter the flatness) that have some texture to them from something like chopped veggies (to counter the slightly less desirable texture).

Edamame and black bean pastas, for my taste, are much chewier and differently flavored to the point that they don't work for me as a substitute for regular pasta in tomato sauces, cheese sauces, etc. However, I do enjoy them in pseudo-Asian sauces - miso based, or reduced-cal peanut sauce made with peanut butter powder (like PB2), chili sauce, etc.

For plain, simple marinara or light creamy or cheese sauces, I'd personally pick spaghetti squash or zoodles, and use the calories to get the protein elsewhere in the meal.

Just my opinion, though.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We haven't tried chickpea pasta, but we've tried other alternative pastas in the past, including lentil pasta, spaghetti squash, and this week, we're giving zoodles a try.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Zucchini lentil penne, frozen, Birds Eye: fantastic.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I prefer the black bean pasta over the chickpea one.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I got the spaghetti squash kinda of one going on today
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've tried the chickpea pasta - don't love the taste - but if you but sauce on it and incorporate other foods, it's okay. I'm a vegetarian, so I like that it's high in protein.