How to train for an ultra?

I know how to train for a marathon, but how do I prepare myself for a 50 Mile race without getting injured from overuse?
My plan is to increase my weekly mileage by 2-5 miles, or every other week increase it by that much. I won’t race a 50 miler until Fall, if I decide to go through with it for 2018. My body is still growing, so I’m just a bit concerned about how Running such great distances will hurt me if I start too early.

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Maybe look up a plan? I'm doing a 50km trail ultra in march (my first ultra) and so far all I'm doing is making my runs longer and hillier, and I figure I'll just keep up with that. But if you're worried I'm sure there are plans out there
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    The plans on Ultra Ladies are good, and I know lots of people who've used them.

fwiw 50K can be completed on a marathon plan, it's not that much more, but 50Mi means a different approach. Lots of long back to backs, so that you're used to running on tired legs.

And getting used to real food, rather than the gunk you get on road races.

https://www.ultraladies.com/free-training-plans.html
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Keep doing what you’re doing with your marathon training. It’s more about weekly mileage than long runs. You do want long runs, but keep them for every couple of weeks or so. Again, everyone is different when it comes to running. I have my plan I can share with you. Nothing fancy but it seems to work for me.
    I’ve competed in Ironmans. Just recently decided to take a year off from Ironman to focus on trail running. I’ve completed a 50K already, have a 50 miler in February, then ending the year with a 100 miler.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    JessM822 wrote: »
    Keep doing what you’re doing with your marathon training. It’s more about weekly mileage than long runs. You do want long runs, but keep them for every couple of weeks or so. Again, everyone is different when it comes to running. I have my plan I can share with you. Nothing fancy but it seems to work for me.
    I’ve competed in Ironmans. Just recently decided to take a year off from Ironman to focus on trail running. I’ve completed a 50K already, have a 50 miler in February, then ending the year with a 100 miler.

Good luck! And i agree about weekly mileage. The most I’ve done in a week has been 72, and I want to be up to 85-100 by this Fall
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Look up the Heartland Running Podcast. Crystal is a friend of mine. She hopes to one day run Badwater. She is super awesome and I bet she could give you very good advice.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    Look up the Heartland Running Podcast. Crystal is a friend of mine. She hopes to one day run Badwater. She is super awesome and I bet she could give you very good advice.

I subscribed! Thanks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2018
    Another thought, what's the terrain like that your proposed event is over?

I've done five ultras, on different surfaces and terrain types. If you've also got a lot of ascent then account for that in your training.

This is the plan that we all used last year: http://runnersevent.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp
  • UltraVegAthlete
    Another thought, what's the terrain like that your proposed event is over?

I've done five ultras, on different surfaces and terrain types. If you've also got a lot of ascent then account for that in your training.

This is the plan that we all used last year: http://runnersevent.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp

I honestly have no idea yet. Hopefully a single person dirt trail that has roots and rocks to jump over, and it goes uphill.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    The plans on Ultra Ladies are good, and I know lots of people who've used them.

fwiw 50K can be completed on a marathon plan, it's not that much more, but 50Mi means a different approach. Lots of long back to backs, so that you're used to running on tired legs.

And getting used to real food, rather than the gunk you get on road races.

https://www.ultraladies.com/free-training-plans.html

I've been looking for something like this!

I'm training for my first 50k in April...and a second in May.

In 2017, I completed a 25k, (7) half marathons, (4) 10k, (1) 5 miler, and my first marathon. They were a combination of road and trail races.

If I survive the 50k races, I'll attempt a 50 miler in December.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    I am also aiming for my first 50 miler in the fall using some variation of one of the plans that is out there. Back to back long runs (as others have suggested) is what I've heard is the key. My plan is to gear up for a 50K in the spring (I've done one before but not as hilly as the one I have planned) and then do several trail marathons and half marathons over the late spring, summer and early fall to keep my forward momentum before the October (or possibly Dec) big event. I've been enjoying the Becoming Ultra Podcast lately and though it is geared more toward first time 50K runners, there is useful stuff for longer distances as well.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    This website has a lot of good information: http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html#plans