Stop the urge to buy junk food...

Options
Hello, so I work in a resort where I don't make my own meals, and it's practically buffet style in the staff diner for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have lots of salads, fresh fruits and foods etc that are healthy, it's just I can't always calculate them or what's in them because I didn't make them, but I always eat healthy and always eat plenty of veggies during meal times... But the main problem is I can't stop buying junk food from the shop! Usually a packet of biscuits and a coke, but its adding up and I can't stop myself, any tips on how to stop wasting money and buying this junk? It's the one thing setting me back from losing weight other then finding a exercise routine which I'll start doing soon, I walk 15,000 steps a day, I eat healthily, it's just the urge to buy junk food setting me back...

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    leave money at home
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like others have said leave your money at home. This worked for me at my office (until they installed Apple Pay...).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. You are the one who brings money and goes to the lenght of buying. You're talking extensively of the healthfulness of the food you are offered - for free, or really as part of your salary - but does it taste good, does it satisfy you?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Write down how much money you are spending. For me a Coke and a snack each day comes to US $ 4-5. I think u are in the UK. ("Biscuit"). That would be 20-30 dollars per week on this snack, 80-120 per month. Over 1000 dollars on it and messing up my weightloss. Make a list of all the things you could buy with that money. Keep it in your wallet whenever you are tempted. Put the money away when you do not indulge towards something on the list.

If money is no object for you, can you save a piece of fruit from lunch and just eat that when you get hungry between meals? Or eat more at lunch so you don't get hungry.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Stop going to the shop? If you go for essential foods, then make a list and stick to it.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Pre-log at the beginning of your day. Add in those biscuits and soda and see what the calories do to your day. If you can balance them in, then great. Usually though, it's enough of a shock that you will not find them appealing.

In terms of calculating, unless you sneak in a kitchen scale you're going to have to do your best to eyeball your calories. It's better than not calculating at all. After a few weeks if you swear you've been calculating correctly, but not actually losing, then you know you are off and you can make your portions smaller.
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have stopped carrying my money/cards into the office on days when I know I'm more vulnerable. The vending machine is just 40 steps away and it's a problem.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You can still eat a biscuit or two and drink coke if you make them fit into the rest of a sensible diet within your calorie limit.

You could bring a 200 ml (7 oz) Coke, and bring one biscuit or a fun size chocolate bar from home and have those as your pick-me-up.

You don't have to be a martyr to lose weight. You want to create habits that will see you through your lifetime.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Hello, so I work in a resort where I don't make my own meals, and it's practically buffet style in the staff diner for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have lots of salads, fresh fruits and foods etc that are healthy, it's just I can't always calculate them or what's in them because I didn't make them, but I always eat healthy and always eat plenty of veggies during meal times... But the main problem is I can't stop buying junk food from the shop! Usually a packet of biscuits and a coke, but its adding up and I can't stop myself, any tips on how to stop wasting money and buying this junk? It's the one thing setting me back from losing weight other then finding a exercise routine which I'll start doing soon, I walk 15,000 steps a day, I eat healthily, it's just the urge to buy junk food setting me back...

I don't see any specific mentions of protein...when I don't eat enough protein I get the munchies. (My body thinks it want junk food but what I actually need is protein.)

What percent of your calories is coming from protein?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

You don't say anything about how many calories you're eating total other than noting that it can be difficult to log your meals because you don't make them. It's entirely possible that you're overeating all that free "healthy" food - it's not just biscuits and soda that will keep you from losing weight. I'm not sure how large a "packet of biscuits" is (American here), but if it's a single serving, then you can absolutely work that and one coke into your daily calories and still lose weight.