Should I Start?

huiek
huiek Posts: 3 Member
I have tried plans to lose weight in the past. I've failed several times. So, I'm actually kind of afraid to even begin this one... almost sure I'll abandon it, too. Maybe. BUT I am tired of this belly, and of looking in the mirror and hoping to see something slimmer there. Never works, but keep hoping that thinner me will be there instead of the one who is.

So words of wisdom and hope are welcome. I'm a retired teacher, been married 46 years to the same guy, and have a wonderful almost-three-year-old grandson who lives across the country from me.

Kathy in NC

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    This is what's working for me. I have come again to MFP since I gained all over again.

I have put my calories to maintenance. I want to get back into the habit of logging everything. I weigh my food on a scale. I am eating everything I usually eat, just lowering the amounts so they fit into my daily calories. This way, it doesn't feel like a diet for me. I have also added a half hour of exercise. I do three days then one day of rest and repeat.

After a while, I will lower my calories to lose 0.5 lb/wk and do that for some time. To me, it's about finding a way that works without torturing myself. :)
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 518 Member
    It's definitely worth starting, believe in yourself that you will succeed, I have found that being accountable to MFP helps, I log everything, every day, even if I know at lunch that I'm going to fail miserably to meet my calorie goal for the day. I've lost 21 # so far, 60 to go.
    Working out helps, it gets me feeling better about myself and I just feel better overall. I lost 19 # years ago and regained that plus 60 more, but I'm back at it. I will succeed this time, believe in yourself, tell yourself whatever you have to.
    Lately, I've been having trouble motivating myself to get to the gym, I have begun telling myself that going to to the gym is my 2nd job, if I can get up to go to work, then I sure as heck can get up to go to my "2nd" job. So far it's working.

Good luck to you
    Paula in NY
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Do it for a week. Commit for one week and see how you feel. It’s sad that you’ve failed without even trying. Give it a go and see... if you see results give it another week.

I think you’re just looking at the mountain you feel you have to climb. Baby steps are a good way to start, mini goals a definitely the way forward. Focus on what you can gain from this - a healthy body to play with your grandson, opportunities to try new recipes, maybe a new wardrobe.

Don’t think of it as a bleak world of deprivation - say hello to a healthy, fitter and slimmer you!

Good luck!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Should you start? YES!

Do some real soul-searching and try to pinpoint why exactly it didn't work before. Mindset? Fad diets? Figure out what didn't work so you can try and figure out what will. Meal prep ahead, find what helps you stay satisfied longer (proteins, carbs or fats). Eat foods you enjoy and re-examine your portions of them. Weigh all your food and educate yourself on their calorie values. Losing weight boils down to eating less than you burn, but it's not necessary to be starving miserable either. Find a form of exercise you like, even if it's as simple as going for a walk every day. Start small and build from it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    MFP isn't exactly a plan, but a tool to track your food intake, exercise and weight. It's fairly simple. In its essence, weightloss is only about eating less than you burn. But nobody really wants to eat less. So you have to find ways to make eating less, enjoyable, or at least tolerable. You are the one who makes it work, or not. You have to use the tools correctly, or it won't give the desired results. You have to measure your progress correctly, or you might give up because it doesn't look like anything is happening. You have to do it yourself, but you don't have to do it alone. The community here is great. I have lost 50 pounds and kept them off for three years, almost effortlessly, thanks to the people here.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    It's definitely worth it.
    <3
    22876plkwu0c.jpg
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    It's not a diet and it's not a plan. It's not a program and it's not a promise. It's an online food diary.

I'm really serious with this. All you need to do to be amazed with yourself is use the food diary truthfully. Just tell Diary the truth. What did you eat today? How much? Once you can tell the truth to Diary, you in your own head will figure out what to do. It's magic.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    You don't have to make big changes at the beginning. Small consistent changes over time really add up. Maybe start with a goal of eating 3-4 servings of fruits & veggies every day for a week. See how that goes.

Start with a goal of being more active instead of a goal of exercising so many days a week. Check out phone apps that count steps. Being more active burns calories.

Don't give up because you had one bad day, or because you screwed up. Weight loss is about consistent changes, not about being perfect.
  • huiek
    huiek Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks, everyone, for the advice and encouragement. I never mind working out - I like the feeling it gives me, like going to the gym. But, I fall down on the recording of the food. How do you do it? What system do you use to actually get the food in the diary? I have an app on my phone, Kindle, Surface, and lap top (I also like gadgets, can you tell), oh...and a paper notebook. But, the challenge for me is actually getting the information IN them. Tips on how you do it would be appreciated. Kathy in NC
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Make a start :smile: You'll be glad you did.

As for food logging, it takes a few minutes of your time but its so eye opening. Commit to logging every single thing you eat for 2 weeks... and then commit to logging for longer. It will become a habit and you will find if you stay within your calorie allowance you will lose weight.

All the best.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Hope posting a link to a motivational video is OK (not mine).

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Just over two years ago, I thought I was too old and too fat to do anything about my weight. I was 378 Lbs. I've now lost 220 lbs so I happily proved myself wrong. I am 51 now and am so much better and happier now than when I was 49.

This can be done and I'm living proof. If I can do what I have done than anybody can do it.

I will pose this question to you. It was an eye opener for me. Where will you be in 1 month, 6 months or a year? Will you be the same weight? Will you be heavier than you are now? Will you have lost weight?

I've been in each one of these situations, I know which one I would recommend. When I was the same weight and I knew I wanted to lose weight, I wouldn't feel good about myself because I wouldn't have accomplished a thing. Most of the time, I was heavier and would feel horrible and it felt like I was losing myself slowly. Within weeks of starting to lose weight, I felt like I had accomplished something and that I was moving towards my goal. When I had lost 50 Lbs, I knew I had accomplished a lot. When I broke 300 Lbs, I celebrated. Every step of the way, I was proud of myself. When I finally broke 200 last year, I was ecstatic. Now I have 44 Lbs left to go before I reach my goal, I don't care how long it takes me to get to goal because I know that I will make it.

I am extremely happy. I'm really active which makes me happy. (I used to be a couch potato.) I get out and have fun every day - no matter what the situation. I am healthy and getting healthier every day.

Do this for yourself and feel all of the positive outcomes that come with the weight loss.

Tina Marie