starting off with newly diagnosed hypothyroidism...

Options
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone is in a similar situation - I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism - I was always heavy but over the past year my weight has crept up over 50lbs so I have about 80lbs to lose. My medications are still being adjusted but I want to start getting on good into good habits asap – I currently eat on a level that would maintain my current weight and my current weight is not a great weight for me long term. I’m more aiming to fit back in 12UK clothes rather than for a number on the scale but I’m so far off for the moment that a number on the scale is all I can go by, at least for the first 6 months!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You've got this. There are plenty of folks here who have lost weight and kept it off with hypothyroidism. They'll have better advice for you, but here's mine: Just start logging your intake, and be honest in your food diary even if you don't want to admit it. Being honest with yourself, even when it sucks, is the best way to make your changes stick. Hugs to you. :flowerforyou:
  • trinket123
    trinket123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have hypothyroidism, but I gain weight ridiculously easy and it is a struggle. I have about 150lbs to lose now so determined to do it this time! Feel free to add me :) Jenn x
  • KeepingUpWithKarina
    KeepingUpWithKarina Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I’ve had it since I was 8 years old.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I've had hypothyroidism since I was probably in my teens, but diagnosed officially in my early 20s. It is indeed possible to lose weight, and while it's harder, it's more rewarding, too. There are a lot of things to keep in check, like Vitamin D levels, which are commonly low, especially in those with hypothyroidism. I could go on and on with things, but getting your thyroid levels in check is the most important part for you right now. Your car won't work right if you're not getting enough gas to the engine, and that's what the thyroid does for your cells.
  • SmallDeckofCards
    SmallDeckofCards Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 16. Getting the meds right is the first step. That can be frustrating, but keep working with your doctor, and you'll get it. Start with that and your diet. But know that other things that improve metabolism are important too. Exercise really helps me and also reduces stress and swelling, which can be a problem with autoimmune diseases. Also, I have to tweak the goals here. If my goal is to lose 1 pound per week I try for 1.5 and don't eat all the exercise calories back, because I know my metabolism works a bit differently than expected.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @CSARdiver has some good science-y info on hypothyroidism - but basically if properly medicated the affect on your metabolism is minimal (approx 65cal a day); but being properly medicated is key - the range for normal is quite large (most labs still use .4-4.0) and while you might be in the range it might not be your optimal level (ie I do best at .5-.7; and anything over 1.0 and I feel like crap)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    First of all Welcome aboard!

Success in this relies on you focusing on what matters - Calorie In / Calorie Out. 80% of your results are going to come from this.

1. What were the results of your last thyroid panel? TSH (0.2-2.0), fT3, fT4, rT3

You need to track what you eat to truly understand how many calories you are ingesting. You need to pick up a food scale and weigh everything, especially in the beginning of this process.

As for the actual impact of hypothyroidism? This impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5% in the most extreme circumstances. That amounts to 80 kcals/day out of a 1600 kcal/day calorie budget.

What hypothyroidism may do is impact you appetite and satiety triggers, causing you to eat when you aren't hungry.

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000. I bought into much of the bad information out there and ended up putting on ~70 lbs over the next 14 years. None of this was due to my thyroid, but everything to do with my transitioning from a high active military career to a cushy life in academia. I was eating as if I was running 6mi/day and swimming 2mi/day, but not running or swimming. I found MFP in 2014 and lost 60 lbs the first year gradually decreasing my intake and increasing my activity.

As for medication it takes levothyroxine about 6 weeks for your body to respond to new doses, so give this time.

Keep us posted on your progress. Be well.