Push Up Progress

Options
Shadowfox429
Shadowfox429 Posts: 30 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
One of my goals for 2018 is to reach at least 25 push ups in a row, without compromising form.
I started barely able to do 1 or 2 full push-ups.
Today I achieved multiple reps of 10 at a time!!

Feeling very motivated by this increase in strength. After I hit 25, I’ll boost my goal up again!
Do you incorporate pushups into your daily routine? How many can you do and what are your goals?

Replies

• JackRussellTerrierMom
    Options
    I'm a plank girl. High plank, low plank, side plank with and without hip pulses or leg raises, plank with alternating knee to opposite elbow, TRX plank to pike, TRX suicide crunches (there's your pushup!), TRX side plank abdominal crunches, TRX high plank oblique crunches. Good for you on the pushups!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pushups ended up giving me a bad rotator cuff. I prefer planks.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »

Did you do them with your elbows flared out?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My goals with push ups. Right now, I just want to get back to doing push ups on the ground again. I injured my shoulder in late July and am still healing. My plan to get my push ups back involves doing the exercises my Physical Therapist gave me, gradually taking my push up to the ground (right now I do them on a chair), and make an effort to not sleep on that shoulder.

It sounds like you're making awesome progress:-) Keep it up!
  • HalfRightFaceee
    HalfRightFaceee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make sure to do inverted rows as well because too many push ups can cause shoulder problems .
  • Shadowfox429
    Options
    I’m starting a full body work lifting plan. Rows are definitely on the list.
    Push-ups and pull ups are just something I’ve always wanted to be better at!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I can do floor push-ups ... up to about 30 in a row? But I have trouble getting ALL the way down. Is it better to move back to slightly elevated push-ups to get past 90 degrees, or to work on doing more floor push-ups?
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Pushups and burpees.....two of the best no equipment needed, full-body movements.....in my opinion.
    Been doing pushups regularly, on average between 50 - 200 a week, and have developed no rotator cuff/shoulder issues whatsoever.
    I even sustained a fractured shoulder blade in a recent car accident, and have been able to get close to my that aforementioned average with little to no discomfort in that region. To each their own, perhaps.
  • WellAlB
    WellAlB Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started 2018 with that same goal in mind too. I’ve barely started... still can only do 2-5 successful push-ups... But I’m hoping I can do it! How long did it take you to smoothly perform 10+ since you started?
  • Shadowfox429
    Options
    I’ve been doing 1-3 push-ups at time (though struggling) since the end of last year. It was really in the last few weeks that I’ve decided to change that.

This month, I’ve been practicing push ups regularly. A few push-ups a day. I was doing 5 in a row consistently. Then this week, I hit multiple sets of 10 in a row.

Something else that has really helped is I started a 30 day Yoga challenge that has been wonderful! Tons of full body movements and it’s given me better awareness and overall body control.
    I’ve been doing yoga on and off for a few years, but now I’ve dedicated myself to 30 days in a row to start off the year to push myself into more consistent daily practice. The videos are free on YouTube if you would like to join: Yoga With Adrienne - True Program.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I follow a routine in a strength training book that includes some body-weight exercises (like push-up variations) with dumbbells and other equipment. I was doing 2 sets of 20 modified half-pushups (bracing my hands on a cardio step). Now, I'm doing the same number, but without the cardio step (the book just calls them 'half-push-ups'; i.e. from the knees). Eventually I'll progress to the next level.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Last year I challenged myself with push ups and got to doing multiple sets of 10 in a row. This year my goal is unassisted pull ups. I don't seem to be gaining much ground with this but I am not quitting
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can only do inclined push ups and inverted rows right now but I'm working my way to push ups and pull ups. Goals are to be able to do 5 of each but I'm not setting a time frame on it. I'm just adding it to my regular Stronglifts 5x5 routine.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can do floor push-ups ... up to about 30 in a row? But I have trouble getting ALL the way down. Is it better to move back to slightly elevated push-ups to get past 90 degrees, or to work on doing more floor push-ups?

It's better to stop doing 30. Do 3 on the floor. Increase every few days/week. Don't increase to 30 until you're doing them all with proper form.
    I can do 100 pushups off a wall, but that's not progressing at all. I can do 15 on my knees or 3-5 straight. Much better to do those 3-5 and work on getting to 6.
  • HalfRightFaceee
    HalfRightFaceee Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Pushups and burpees.....two of the best no equipment needed, full-body movements.....in my opinion.
    Been doing pushups regularly, on average between 50 - 200 a week, and have developed no rotator cuff/shoulder issues whatsoever.
    I even sustained a fractured shoulder blade in a recent car accident, and have been able to get close to my that aforementioned average with little to no discomfort in that region. To each their own, perhaps.
    If you do pressing movements and don't do any pulling movements to counter the muscular imbalance, you will be at a heightened risk of injury.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do around 200 a day, so just hit 10-20 when the clock hits each hour so it's spaced out... that may or may not be good for me or helpful to you . but that's what I do lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

There's limited benefit to hyperextending your shoulders/elbows to go past 90.

• stanmann571
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    capaul42 wrote: »

Did you do them with your elbows flared out?

That's usually how it happens.

It took me years to learn to do correct pushups because nobody teaches them. and Because a correct pushup isn't up down, but forward/back.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    and Because a correct pushup isn't up down, but forward/back.

@stanmann571 You just made pushups make so much more sense to me! I never thought about them as being forward and back..... it's like I can see the matrix now B)

• stanmann571
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    and Because a correct pushup isn't up down, but forward/back.

@stanmann571 You just made pushups make so much more sense to me! I never thought about them as being forward and back..... it's like I can see the matrix now B)

LOL, yeah, it was that way for me too. Unless you put your hands well outside your shoulders or spread your shoulders/elbows, you can't go straight up/down. Which is a fine exercise/press, but it's not really a pushup because it's arm intensive instead of shoulder/chest.

Oh, and you're welcome.