Hard Time Meeting Calorie and Macro Goals & Hunger

Options
Hi! So I have been a MFP logger for quite a few years off and on. This is the year I have to take it seriously - was just over 190 lbs at the beginning of this month heaviest EVER - weight has been slowly creeping up 4 lbs or so per year since 2012. I am doing Damp January (alcohol has been major source of calories I know) and although one might not think so looking at my diary - have been successful at cutting down substantially so far this month.

Anyway - it seems if I meet my calorie goals - I am off on my macros. If hit my macros - I am off on my calories. What are your opinions on which is better to meet? Current MFP calorie goal is 1200 - I am 48 years old - have desk job but go to gym three times a week for cardio and strength workouts so would consider myself moderately active.

Additionally, as I was looking at this and trying to figure out what to do - it occurred to me that I don't remember the last time I ate simply because I was hungry. I am so accustomed to making sure to get "healthy snacks" in between meals - I am never really hungry when it comes time for my main meals. I certainly don't want to put my body into starvation mode but would a short fast of some kind maybe help "reset" me? It seems that I have read that you don't want to go below 1200 calories a day but if you are eating "good calories", could you?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why 1200 calories? That may be too aggressive and that is why you are struggling. What is you loss goal per week?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Your body won't go into starvation mode. It doesn't need a reset and a fast isn't necessary. You don't want to go below 1200 because you're sacrificing nutrition by doing so. Use the number MFP gives you, eat back a portion of your exercise calories.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    For me, calories are the easier goal to meet. With that said, what you eat is very personal and your preference really. I love eggs and bread and avocado and fish. All of those foods keep me satisfied for a very long time. If I eat oatmeal or nuts or chips, I get hungry very quickly and am not as satisfied. So the trick is to find what keeps you happy the longest.

Now what you'll notice is a lot of the foods I listed that keep me satisfied for longer are higher in fat and protein. You can adjust your macros to increase these in your macro calculation to find out what keeps you the most satisfied. Either method will work but in my case, I think calories are so much easier to keep track of.
  • Sarlynn69
    Sarlynn69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! Quick responses! :) I do use a food scale. Good point about exercise calories - yes - I suppose I am eating them back - I use a Fit Bit and I know that it overestimates calorie burn so stay under what it tells me but maybe that is still too much. Could I come up with a "set" number to add back in on days I am at gym? Or would it be better just to stick at 1200?

I would like to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week - MFP set me at 1200. Maybe that is too aggressive?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Forget "good" calories and "bad" calories. For weight loss, eat a variety of foods and maintain a calorie goal. 1200 calories would be self sabotage for me -- too low. But regardless, use your food scale and use accurate calorie data (I love using the recipe builder on the site for my home cooked food.)
  • coffeebean92
    coffeebean92 Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try upping your calories to 1500 you should still lose weight. It will be slower but it's more sustainable. 1200 is soo low
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sarlynn69 wrote: »
    Wow! Quick responses! :) I do use a food scale. Good point about exercise calories - yes - I suppose I am eating them back - I use a Fit Bit and I know that it overestimates calorie burn so stay under what it tells me but maybe that is still too much. Could I come up with a "set" number to add back in on days I am at gym? Or would it be better just to stick at 1200?

I would like to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week - MFP set me at 1200. Maybe that is too aggressive?

What are your stats other than current weight - height, goal weight.

And wanted to highlight the note about homemade or generic entries - don't use them.

You should definitely eat back at least some of your exercise cals

Adjusting your macros can help with hunger, but calories are king for weight loss.
  • roxskow
    roxskow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry you don't need a snack! Hierarchy of importance on cals vs macros for weight loss is #1 Calories, #2 Protein (.6-.8g per lb bodyweight), #3 don't worry about the rest unless you have specific needs :)

Otherwise what others have already said seems to be on point, make sure you are measuring/logging properly!
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    How do your weekly totals look?
    Personally, I like eating less on days I’m not hungry and more on days I am, as long as it evens out by the week’s end.
    That way, I’m listening to my body and discerning between physical hunger cues vs emotional/situational prompts to eat.
    For setting macros on a low calorie diet, my dietician said to think of it in terms of meeting minimum requirements for health. Just make sure you’re not so deficient in any one macro that your body cannot maintain itself.
  • Sarlynn69
    Options
    Thank you all - this is really helpful. With so much info out there - it is overwhelming sometimes. It helps to have real people's input - not just article after article from a Yahoo search - LOL! I think I am going to try foregoing the snacks as some of you have suggested. It had just become a habit. And if I am still hungry after lunch - I can always eat one then.

Kimmy72 - I am 5'7" - my goal weight is 175 which is what I last felt "good" at. According to some of the charts I have seen that is still overweight but I liked the way I looked, had good energy, etc. so am using that for the moment because it also is something that seems like it is attainable. A lower number would be great but I am trying to set realistic goals that won't make me depressed to see it so far away. I do not have any measurements - haven't done them in awhile. I do use the generic entries - will keep an eye out for those and match to what I am actually eating....

Vivmom2014 - I too LOVE the receipe builder feature as I crockpot Sundays and then do the leftovers throughout the week.

• Sarlynn69
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Am incoporating the suggestions - actually a bit hungry going into lunch - skipped snack. Appreciate everything. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It was staring me in the face - alcohol has calories too, so yes, your macros can be spot on and your calories be off and all entries can be perfect :D

I was going to point this out too -- incorporating alcohol means that you're not going to be able to hit all of your macro targets. That's not such a problem when you're playing with a bigger calorie budget, but trying to hit 1200 gives you little, if any, wiggle room.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’2” and 63 yo. I’m at 1200 calories. You should be higher than that. It’s very hard to eat that little and drink alcohol, so I finally cut out all alcohol and started losing as I’d hoped. I’m in maintenance now, but was losing 2# a month for the 15 pound loss I was aiming for. I eat back half my Fitbit cal in workout classes.

Now that I’m in maintenance, thanks to overeating during the holidays, I’m back at 1200 trying to lose a few of those holiday pounds. My maintenance is 1350 so it’s a little help but once you lose your weight, be prepared for mini gains and losses for forever. It takes patience and logging to get to your “real” numbers, as everyone is different. I eat a Kirkland protein bar every morning for my snack, and find it very filling. 20 gm protein, 190 calories.