Nursing mother

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how many additional calories I should add to my daily goal of 1200 calories while breastfeeding? I'm looking to lose weight but want to make sure I eat the right amount of calories. Thank you.

Replies

• chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Many people (myself included) let breastfeeding create their deficit. You set your diary to maintenance calories and then breastfeeding will create the deficit needed to lose weight. Worked well for me and didn't affect my milk supply. I happened to reach my goal and go into maintenance right around when my LO weaned, so I just kept eating the way I was and have been maintaining for a few months now.
    Good luck!
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories is way too low for most people so it will most likely be way too low for a nursing mother.

I would change your settings to have daily calories higher. You can either set to maintenance and let nursing make your deficit or have a deficit set and then in the food tracker there are entries for breastfeeding which will give you a negative entry in the food portion.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you but you can't actively look to lose weight whilst nursing, about half a pound a week is the most you should aim for and if you set your calories to maintenance and eat that then your breast feeding calorie burn will do that for you. Sorry, I'm in the exact same boat with 2 stone to lose but feeding my baby comes first. If you restrict you run the real risk of not producing enough milk and /or it being substandard in content.
  • tasiam
    tasiam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will set to maintenance and hope to lose some weight!! But I do remember with my other two children I just couldn't seem to lose weight until my babies were something like 8 or 9 months. Ugh. Hoping for some results sooner than the last couple babies but of course I don't want to ruin my supply. Good luck to you too ARGriffy
  • LetsDoulaThis2018
    LetsDoulaThis2018 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In my postpartum doula training we learned that eating less than 2,000 to 2,500 calories will cause your milk supply to tank. I rushed to lose baby weight and couldn't breastfeed anymore because of eating too little. Wrong priorities. Your baby needs your milk and is only little for a little while. Eat what your body needs to feed you and your baby well.