Plateau!

Options
Hi everyone, I can’t seem to lose weight anymore. I am in a healthy range of bmi and weight 9 stone 4 at 5 foot 5.5 in height, however I carry a lot of fat around my stomach and thighs which don’t seem to go. I have a office job however I am active outside of work I do resistance training about three times per week. I try calorie counting and don’t lose so it makes me stressed then I tried weight watchers and slimming world and still no luck. I don’t want to do anything stupid like low carbs. Can anyone suggest anything? I used to be one stone heavier and lost the weight by sticking to around 1400 calories but now it seems impossible. Thanks to anyone who can help me :) Jess

Replies

• Jsullivan199001
    Jsullivan199001 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. To be honest I’ve been the same weight for about a year an half now, although I was training with a PT last year I still can’t seem to get my calories right and I will stick to it for like a week lose no weight then panic and change diets!! It’s mainly my stomach and I know you definitely can’t spot reduce. I moved onto slimming world as calorie counting was making me too stressed however it’s the only thing that’s ever worked for me in the past. I just don’t know how much calories I should eat it’s coming up around 1500 on the Tdee calculator with me inputting that I train 3 times per week for 60 mins. Can anyone clarify this for me?
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    yg72c7jspkop.jpg

I'm gonna steal this much butter thang the current one I have 7uj67ilbkz8f.png
  • Jsullivan199001
    Options
    Thank you guys. Michael what do you mean as recomp?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Remember TDEE calculators are not really calculators. They are estimators. Same with calorie burns. You may have to tweak one thing or another based on results. I'm sure you also realize that losing weight at 1400 calories is easier (more weight to lose and bigger deficit) when you are bigger. As you lose your deficit shrinks.

I also believe that at 5'5" and 130 lbs (if I calculate a stone correctly), that you have very little to lose. You may want to consider strength training and look at measurements instead of weight....
  • Jsullivan199001
    Options
    Remember TDEE calculators are not really calculators. They are estimators. Same with calorie burns. You may have to tweak one thing or another based on results. I'm sure you also realize that losing weight at 1400 calories is easier (more weight to lose and bigger deficit) when you are bigger. As you lose your deficit shrinks.

I also believe that at 5'5" and 130 lbs (if I calculate a stone correctly), that you have very little to lose. You may want to consider strength training and look at measurements instead of weight....

Thank you. That is true as it was a lot easier to shift the weight when I was a little higher in weight. I have been strength training for about a year now but like I said I’m still unsure about how many calories etc to actually stick to to reach my goals which is why I probably make no progress and end up switching diets! :(
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. Michael what do you mean as recomp?

I'm not Michael, but I will give a basic answer. Recomp is essentially eating at maintenance and building muscle to replace fat. Muscle burns more calories so eventually you'll reduce body fat. Your weight will stay approximately the same. This process takes a long time. Basics tho: lift; eat at maintenance (which it looks like you have been doing because your weight is not changing).
  • Jsullivan199001
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I am going away to work abroad in May and really want to lose the excess fat. Can anyone help me with how many calories I need, shall I stick to 1400 still I don’t think I can go any less
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I am going away to work abroad in May and really want to lose the excess fat. Can anyone help me with how many calories I need, shall I stick to 1400 still I don’t think I can go any less

Have you tried putting your stats and goals into MFP and getting a calorie goal that way?
  • southerngirllostinqueens
    Options
    https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/blog/how-zigzag-dieting-can-break-your-weight-loss-plateau
    https://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    You might also want to check out the above. Also, lifting weights (not sure that resistance training is the same) made all the difference for me once upon a time...
  • Jsullivan199001
    Options
    Yes it says 1200 calories which I think is really low
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Yes it says 1200 calories which I think is really low

What did you put as your goal weight loss per week? More aggressive goals will result in fewer calories per day.
  • Jsullivan199001
    Options
    To lose 2lbs per week I put in
  • janejellyroll
    Options

That's the most aggressive goal MFP lets you select and it's not realistic for someone who is already close to goal weight (as you are). Choose a more reasonable goal (I recommend .5 pounds per week) and you'll get a higher number of calories per day. People who are already at a healthy BMI can't safely lose 2 pounds a week.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

If you're already in the healthy BMI range, you likely can't sustain enough of a deficit to lose 2 pounds a week - the website bottoms out at 1200 for women. You'd probably have better luck trying for 0.5 lb a week or, as suggested above, a recomp.
  • Jsullivan199001
    Options
    It says 1620 calories for a loss of 1lbs per week. Can I really eat this much and still lose weight?
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You're actually in the healthy weight range so losing 2lbs a week is unrealistic. That weight loss rate is for obese people.