Trying to do this alone

Options
I am new to this site and am in desperate need of a support group. I am trying to lose the exra 55lbs I gained from pregnancy but its hard because I am living with my husband and his parents who eat chips in front of the TV every night. They don't need to lose weight so they feel they have no need to exercise or eat differently. If someone out there can empathize or has any suggestions, please PLEASE help!:frown:

Replies

• plumpgirl
    Options
    I am new to this site and am in desperate need of a support group. I am trying to lose the exra 55lbs I gained from pregnancy but its hard because I am living with my husband and his parents who eat chips in front of the TV every night. They don't need to lose weight so they feel they have no need to exercise or eat differently. If someone out there can empathize or has any suggestions, please PLEASE help!:frown:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I don't know how much you weight but this is my group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/39816-over-200-club-week-2-open-group

we are over 200 but I do believe there are a few under, it's open anyone can join at anytime!

Come on over, and GOOD LUCK!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    All I can say is YOU CAN DO IT! Sounds kind of lame, but seriously if you want to change your life than you can, everyone will tell you it's not easy which it isn't but you will start to feel better immediately and you will have accomplished so much once you get to your goal. Good luck, we are here for support!

~Leash
  • scalzo48
    Options
    My wife took her I-pod walked a lot prob 10 miles a week. Also she said that it helped her alot to breast feed. If you do some research on it I think you will find that breast feeding is huge in losing the pounds you gained. Good luck.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

how long ago did you have the baby? looks pretty new in your pics.

i have no children but i have friends that do. i have noticed it takes some time, but eventually with diet and excercise, you can loose that baby weight. it stinks that you dont have support at home because support is very important. i can honestly say MFP will help you with support - just stick to it, read the posts, and take it one day at a time. before you know it, you'll be chasing that baby all over the place in your skinny non-mom jeans! :wink:

congrats to you for being brave and taking this big step! :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you can't worry about whatothers are doing. You're ALWAYS going to be exposed to temptations, be it at home or elsewhere. Maybe you could offer to fix meals for the family so that you can choose healthier options. Or take on the duties of grocery shopping and try to replace (some) snacks with healthier ones. Just keep in mind, you can only control you. Just be strong and keep your goals in mind. :flowerforyou:

ps- your baby is beeeeaaaa-u-tiful!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You are not alone you have all of us! While they eat chips come post and we'll be here for you! Welcome to MFP!:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I know it is really hard to do it on your own, especially when your loved ones constantly each junk in front of you. But don't worry you can do it! I lost 25 pounds on my own with a similar situation. It is not easy, but it is not as hard as you think it may be. And at least you have people to vent to, ask questions, share you success, etc. on MFP. Good luck to you!
  • Julie837
    Options
    Hi, I'm sure you'll do great with a little planning. If they eat chips, you eat popcorn, when they eat potatoes, you eat tomatoes. Best wishes for you and your baby!
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    You can do it!! There is a lot of support here. Find what will work for you. Don't give up!

I gained 60 pounds with each of my 4 pregnancies. It was so hard to know what to do to loose it. I kept about 40 pounds of weight for 7 years till I decided I had to loose weight after having my 4th child. I did a lot of research on diets and other things. I started out with the body for life challenge, but soon realized it was not exactly for me.

I modified the BFL diet and exercise program for me. I read a lot of research studies and then focused on four simultaneously plus stuck with the diet. I added 1000 mg vitamin C, psyllium husk fiber supplement, Soy protein, Whole body Detox. I did this every day along with a modified BFL diet low in sugar and fat and high in lean protein. All while breastfeeding my new son.

I lost a total of 50 pounds in 8 months. I lost aprox. 2 pounds per week.

I have recently gained 20 lb back due to an illness but have already lost 8 lb.
  • zuleika
    Options
    This is not about your family. it is about you. You do not have to eat the potato chips in front of the TV. put the baby in his or her stroller and take a walk. It will help, believe it or not ask your husband to go with you make it your together time, and talk to him about what you are trying to do and that you need is help.

You have help your husband forget bout his parents and focus on your family (you, your husband and your child).

Yes I know what you are going through.

Think positive!!!!!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    now you're not alone! also, it will probably take a year of good eating and movement to lose the baby weight. think of it this way, it took 9 months to grow the baby and will take at least 9 months to get rid of the "extras." so, be patient with yourself as you go thru this process. plus, having a baby is a big change in your life. w/babies it's like you just figure him/her out, and then they change and are onto the next phase. it's a tumultuous year. so again, be kind to yourself. as far as their snack habits, maybe put yourself in another room or find an activity for your hands so you aren't tempted to eat or save your wonderful snack for that time of day so you don't feel left out. maybe hubby can do that feeding so you can go on a walk (obviously not an option if you're nursing exclusively). anyway, those are just some small suggestions. you are a mother now, so enjoy that new status and be patient and committed to yourself.
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love it here, this site is so supportive, helpful and motivational. Everyone here is so nice and friendly. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you good luck with your weight loss journey, you can do this. Buy yourself some low cal, low sodium snacks to eat.