Cravings, etc!

I often have cravings for chocolate, or any sweets really. What are some healthy alternatives? Also, what are some words of motivation you use on yourself when you're feeling a bit bleak about the losing weight process?

Replies

• allouisek
    allouisek Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    I have the same problem too! Craving for something "nice". Learned to stock up with fruit so that I don't grab a sweety or chocolate out of the cupboard!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    If you are used to eating lots of sweets then it can be difficult adjusting to not eating them often (you can of course still incorporate some into your meal plans). I find fruit or fruit teas help. I know all the arguments about fruit also being high sugar but you can choose some slightly lower ones (grapes and bananas are high) and the sugars in fruit are not so rapidly absorbed so you avoid the whole sugar peak thing while still enjoying something sweet in your mouth. I also like sugar free gum or mints as an alternative to buying a sneaky choccie bar when out and about. Best thing is just to ensure that you are eating enough to stop real hunger pangs and then act like your mother and say 'no' to empty calories :)
  • laab34
    laab34 Posts: 3 Member
    This was my battle tonight! Im also looking for new snack suggestions. Fruit isn't a midnight snack.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Dark chocolate actually is healthy. I have a piece almost every day, usually shaved over my cinnamon latte. 52 calories.
  • Chantelledc90
    Chantelledc90 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m a terrible sweet tooth person and new to this reducing sugar intake too!! But I love red capsicum so Ive started preparing a container of capsicum sticks along with carrot sticks to snack on.
    I also have Muslie bars with drizzled vanilla yogurt or yogurt with oats. There’s still a bit of sugar but not as much as I’d normally have (like drinking coke!)
    I’m not a huge fan of fruit but my partner has containers of cut up apples and oranges so sometimes I help myself to those.
    It’s step by step for me!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    I solve my chocolate cravings by eating chocolate. I have a load of good chocolates from Hotel Chocolat in my snacks cupboard; I get one of those, put it in a little dip dish, carry it through to the living room, then eat it slowly and lovingly and dwell on the aftertaste.

I’ve lost over 190 lb so far, without giving up the good things in life :)
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    70%+ Dark Chocolate
    Sugar Free Jelly
    Greek Yogurt
    Salted Nuts (easy on the salt if you have trouble with blood pressure or are weighing next day)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I solve my cravings by having what I want as long as it fits into my calories.
  • Shadowfox429
    Shadowfox429 Posts: 30 Member
    I suggest picking up a healthy trail mix with seeds, nuts, cranberries, and some dark chocolate bits.
    I’ve picked one up from Whole Foods called Sweet and Salty. It’s one of my favorites and fits into my macros well!
    Sometimes when you are craving chocolate, it can point to a magnesium deficiency.
    The trail mix will pack in magnesium, plus there are bits of dark chocolate, so it’ll help those cravings.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    Before you eat the chocolate, log it into your food diary. If it fits into your calorie goal, eat it.

If it will put you way over, then that shock of a number should be enough for you to walk away.
  • bandwidthbandit
    bandwidthbandit Posts: 74 Member
    Falklang wrote: »
    70%+ Dark Chocolate
    Sugar Free Jelly
    Greek Yogurt
    Salted Nuts (easy on the salt if you have trouble with blood pressure or are weighing next day)

Haha, I always try to stay far under my sodium allowance the day before I weigh. Every ounce helps...
  • Losingitslowlyxoxo
    Losingitslowlyxoxo Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks everyone! Lots of helpful ideas!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Ill be 100% honest. As someone with an almost 15 year history with eating disorders (bulimia/anorexia)...I stopped having the "cravings" when I stopped telling myself what I couldn't have. I mean...I DO have cravings for a sweet, or some chocolate or a soda and if it fits into my calories I just have it. I took a "cheat day" this past weekend and decided to make some chicken wing dip for game night because I had been craving it for a month or so. I didn't gain 20lbs overnight. I just went back to tracking the next day. I've also been seeing lots of amazing cinnamon roll videos on facebook and I make really good ones in my bread machine so I anticipate those will be on the horizon.

what I DONT have anymore is that feeling like I HAVE to have it or I'm going to die, or that I HAVE to have more and more and more. I don't have this feeling like I hate myself or that I'm a failure....AND I still get to eat the chocolate (she says as she is sipping the non-diet soda that she realized she had the calories for)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Healthy is such a subjective term and really has no value without context. Within a generally healthy diet you can enjoy sweets, even chocolate.

Right now I'm really enjoying having a chocolate pudding cup every night after dinner. I guess it takes me back to my childhood or something because it always makes me happy :-)